Did I just kill my SCHIIT FREYA?!

Hi guys!!

I was wondering if the SNA resident experts can give me some insights of the incident that I had last night with the SCHIIT FREYA?

Basically I just bought a used Schiit Freya from Ebay. It arrived yesterday and as you know it, I’m beyond excited with this since this is my first encounter with a tube gear. I’m a newbie in HiFi and I’m a tube virgin! Little did I know that I won’t even get a chance to listen to how the tube sounds because I have broken the unit accidentally (I think?)

I have written a lengthy detailed step by step info of what happened at my email to the Ebay Seller below…

One of the tube leg stuck in the hole and I can’t insert any more tubes in it until that black thing removed from the hole. I didn’t even realise it until I had a closer look because I couldn’t fit another tube that I was trying. I thought it’s just a matter of broken tubes or tubes that’s already finished its hours of use? 

Would you guys know what happened or what did I do wrong? I’m still not 100% convinced that I broke the unit. Is there a chance that it’s a dud/lemon unit and it was a bit fragile and what I’ve done just made it worse or something?

The original seller bought this from Addicted to Audio, and I rang them this morning. They advised me to bring the unit to the store, and they will ship it to Melbourne to be assesed by the technicians.

I’m a bit worried about warranty as well. I read that Schiit gives 5 yrs warranty, however ATA isn’t sure whether it’s TRANSFERRABLE or not. I guess if it’s not covered by warranty then I have to eat the repair cost. It’s pretty **** that I received a new unit and I have to repair it first, before I get to use it. L

I also upload a YouTube video of the smoking tubes. You can see how the front tubes is glowing like normal but the back tubes is just smoking, but not glowing. Also, if it’s a case of me incorrectly fitting the tubes into the socket, then why is both of the back tubes smoking? Shouldn’t the smoke only happened to the problematic ones?

Did I just kill my Schitt Freya.jpg

Did I just kill my Schitt Freya2.jpg

That is just a locating lug for the tube, so you can insert it correctly the right way. The pins have to match exactly with the right pin holder on the socket.

Without the locator plastic lug, you can now insert in many directions. Bad as you can blow the amp up! It has to be inserted correctly with each pin only going to the correct socket pin. Thats the job of the center locating lug.

I would carefully get some long nose pliers or tweezers and just "gently" pull that plastic locator out. It is not used at all but to locate the orientation of the tube correctly.

Now you should be able to insert another tube in there with its locator lug intact.

I have in the past tried to glue a lug back on, but did not work. Just ended up buying a new tube. 

It mainly happens with older tubes and NOS tubes as they become brittle with age and heat.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

YIKES! One of the locating pins has been broken. You've probably plugged that valve into the socket incorrectly. You should NOT have taken the time to video the smoke. As soon as you see smoke, you should unplug immediately and send the unit off for repair. There is almost zero chance such damage will be covered by any warranty. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

At this point, I would go no further.
You have broken it and have no choice but to send to Addicted to Audio who I am sure will assist you.

Of course, if repairs are needed (or at least time to diagnose and provide replacement tubes), yes there will be a cost.

Your headline, "Schiit Freya Explodes on First Listen!" is also deceiving (and unfair). You are implying that there was something wrong with the unit.

Sorry, but you have broken it. Clear and simple.

• Like 2

Your in Sydney. Take it to Zaph. He will fix it at a fair charge and save postage costs. Then he will show you how to insert the tube. From your photo you forced the tube in with its alignment lug about rotated about 200 degrees out from its slot. Next time maybe wait for the adrenaline to ebb, take a good look and then feel your way gently.

@synthz ... you refer to and imply that the manual was wrong or confusing. So what exactly did the instructions say to do? If it was confusing or unclear, this may not be all your fault... then again it could be too.

Are you certain the black lug was not already snapped off when you got the product, or did you do it?

The consumer guarantee that the goods or services will be of an acceptable quality applies to second-hand goods.

JSmith :ninja:

Thank you guys for the insights!

I’m a newbie, I should’ve research more about the tubes installation. I read the manual over and over (it’s a short manual) and I tried to do it as described in the manual. Maybe I just got too excited and wants to play some music straightaway.

@Rocky500 — thank you for the advice. I’m too scared to do it myself, apparently I’m not even qualified to plug in a vacuum tube correctly.

@Zaphod Beeblebrox — I have a feeling that’s what I’ve done. Re: video — I’m sorry, I didn’t know any better. I thought it was normal! “Hmm this is pretty full on! There’s smokes and everything!”, “What’s that burnt smell? Does audiophiles always have this smell when they play tube gears? Must not be very comfortable”, I thought…

@Marc — I have called Addicted To Audio and will drop the unit to them to be assesed. Apologies if my headline is offensive, I was sad, frustrated and disappointed. I felt like I just burned $900 down on the drain (which is quite a lot of money for me). I even had stomach pains from anxiety last night, which is surprising that it’s co-related like that. Lost of appetite was another symptom too!

@Nada — If I bring the unit to a third party, would that void my warranty? It was definitely adrenaline, thanks mate.

@Jsmith — I’ve attached the excerpt from the manual in regards to the tube installations. I really don’t know for a person that’s not familiar with tube (like me) whether it’s clear or not. I tried to follow the manual instructions, but I didn’t pay attention about the ‘notch’, that’s probably where my mistake lies.

The black lug was still intact when I took it out of the box.

Freya-Manual---Tubes-Installation.jpg

1 hour ago, synthz said:

I tried to follow the manual instructions, but I didn’t pay attention about the ‘notch’, that’s probably where my mistake lies.

Yeah... seems that way. ;)

What a Schiit! Hopefully you can get this sorted and back up and running soon.

JSmith :ninja:

I doubt both tube holders are smoking, most likely just smoke from the incorrectly inserted one drifting across to the other.

Pull the locating lug out, stick a new tube in and see if it works? Who knows, you might get lucky

I did something similar, but with the amp off. Opened it, and pulled the piece out.and then everything was fine.

I also bought tube "risers" so that I can easily insert/remove the tubes and can see exactly what I"m doing.    They cost me about $3 each from China on ebay. 

Edited by firedog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swervyn said:

I doubt both tube holders are smoking, most likely just smoke from the incorrectly inserted one drifting across to the other.

Pull the locating lug out, stick a new tube in and see if it works? Who knows, you might get lucky

I dont get the logic there. The smoke strongly suggests internal components are fried. With the tube rotated the heater pins may have connected the plate and grid circuits up burning resistors etc. Putting a good tube in might cause more damage. I suggest dont plug it in till the competent tech at Rag Audio sorts it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nada said:

I dont get the logic there. The smoke strongly suggests internal components are fried. With the tube rotated the heater pins may have connected the plate and grid circuits up burning resistors etc. Putting a good tube in might cause more damage. I suggest dont plug it in till the competent tech at Rag Audio sorts it out.

Yep sorry, no logic really. To me though, unless it is tested and proved it doesn't work then just maybe it will work! Hence my suggestion to try a new tube. Can anyone suggest a way of testing the tube holder connections with a multimeter?(to save risking a new tube) The readings he should be getting? If the tube holder on the other side is working ok maybe compare outputs with the smokey one?

I guess I am a "if it aint broke, don't fix it" person! And no-one knows yet that it is actually broke. Plus I generally try to fix whatever I can myself before calling in the experts. Could the smoke have been from pcb lacquer etc? @Zaphod Beeblebrox would be the man who would know. I know I have seen pcb's smoke before but not necessarily burn out. Not sure videoing it all that time was a good idea but it was still smoking and didnt go "pop"

In saying all that, the most prudent advice (as suggested by yourself and others) would be to have it checked by a competent technician as even though it may still work, chances are there is now a weak link somewhere in the chain.

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

The warranty would be voided by improper operation.

Fixing it shouldn't be too expensive.

I call it operator abuse...  chargeable call that includes billable for labour and Parts. 

We normally attached a photo of the evidence for damage on the call and get someone to print there name and sign it on the iPad.   The client is also advised of the cost b4 and a verbal agreement on there behalf has to be approved b4 the work goes ahead.   

Then you wait for the attitude:  “isn’t it under warranty...isn’t that covered under the service contract....WHAT,that much!  It wasn’t me that did it!   I didn’t break that, what a p I’m not signing for that!   But we were told it did labels....  it was working b4 so why cant we feed this stock in:  because the specs saids 300gsm not 450 measured!   

And the best one yet: “ That’s fragile, what  a  typical piece of Shcitt!.....”. ?

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 2

Oh well, we probably all have a story that involves frying or burning out something, lessons learnt.

It'll be fine ATA will help you they are an excellent retailer now not to put too fine a point on this but maybe you could have bought your Freya from them and I'm sure they would have helped you set her up properly the extra $200 compared to the eBay seller would have been worth it, in this case anyway.

Get the person you bought it off from ebay to send it back under their name as they are the original owner.

If Addicted to Audio question it, the ebay seller can say the truth, you returned back to them as the product was faulty so they are returning it back to ATA for warranty repairs .

Nothing sneaky at all, just the plain truth as the original owner is exercising their warranty right.

It is pretty hard, perhaps impossible to insert tubes incorrectly unless the front and back are different, and you have mixed them up causing the different power ratings of the tube requirements to malfunction.

ATA will suss that out.

Good luck [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, kroozzy said:

Get the person you bought it off from ebay to send it back under their name as they are the original owner.

If Addicted to Audio question it, the ebay seller can say the truth, you returned back to them as the product was faulty so they are returning it back to ATA for warranty repairs .

Nothing sneaky at all, just the plain truth as the original owner is exercising their warranty right.

It is pretty hard, perhaps impossible to insert tubes incorrectly unless the front and back are different, and you have mixed them up causing the different power ratings of the tube requirements to malfunction.

ATA will suss that out.

Good luck emoji4.png

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There is absolutely no responsibility for AtA to correct the fault under warranty, regardless of who owns it. It is clearly misuse. That said, AtA may decide to repair the product at a nominal charge. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no responsibility to AtA to correct the fault under warranty, regardless of who owns it. It is clearly misuse. That said, AtA may decide to repair the product at a nominal charge. 
I thought this was a brand new thread as it only just came through on my phone, it only showed me the owners original opening comment . . . Now i see the rest of the story, i hate phone apps [emoji39]