Sign in to follow this  
Darren69

Bohemian Rhapsody

We went with the kids, and we all really enjoyed it.  The kids know a lot of the music and know little about the band, so took it as it comes.  It also opened some interesting discussions with them after regarding the horrible advent of HIV and the abhorrent discrimination that accompanied it.  I thought the actors were all great and well cast.  No one is ever going to do a good enough job of someone so unique and charismatic as Freddie, but the actor did bloody well I thought.  I also went in not caring about “accuracy”.  That’s what docco’s are for.

oh on another note, for those living in Melbourne, we saw it at the Thornbury Theatre - a fantastic small independent cinema.  Highly recommended, and one of my all time fave’s - Stop Making Sense - is coming up.....

Mrs G and I went last Saturday on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. She stayed awake through the entire thing which is testimony in itself...!

Best bit? The little reference to Waynes' World by Mike Myers character.

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Mrs G and I went last Saturday on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. She stayed awake through the entire thing which is testimony in itself...!

Best bit? The little reference to Waynes' World by Mike Myers character.

I missed that bit but I liked the Kenny Everett part.

There were a fair few bits like mentioned above that made me smile right from the very start when the 20th Century Fox theme tune was done in a Brain May style. He probably played it.

Watching Rage this morning and Bohemian Rhapsody the song is number 13 on there countdown to No1 chart.

Fun movie. KE scene was a hoot. Great to hear the early tunes again. I can remember when 7 seas of rye came out. 

On 29/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, crisis said:

I missed that bit but I liked the Kenny Everett part.

The Mike Myers character said something along the lines of "That song (Bohemian Rhapsody) isn't a song kids will drive around in their cars playing loud and banging there heads to!" ......something like that. I chuckled when I heard that.😄

15 hours ago, stevoz said:

The Mike Myers character said something along the lines of "That song (Bohemian Rhapsody) isn't a song kids will drive around in their cars playing loud and banging there heads to!" ......something like that. I chuckled when I heard that.😄

um, I didn't even recognize that was Mike Myers! 😳

6 hours ago, crisis said:

um, I didn't even recognize that was Mike Myers! 😳

It was indeed a challenge to see him behind all the facial hair and make up.....but I also knew of this character (who was a mash up of a couple of other real people and didn't actually exist in real life) before I attended the screening.....great line though!👍

Finally got around to see it over the weekend!

Great movie, great music! So, ok, not chronologically and historically accurate, but I think the characters were very well crafted, especially Deacy and Brian May. Actually, Brian May's character was so good it was spooky.

Some very good moments, great recreation of Live Aid, and I'll be definitively getting the copy on BD when it comes out.

Cheers,

Alberto

Ok, so this picture didn't really deserve to win the Golden Globe for 'Best Picture', because better movies had been released last year but it's good to see a movie rewarded for 'feel good' factor alone for a change and is acknowledgement of the power of one band and rock music in general.👍

PS: It won't win the equivalent Oscar.....but that's fine.🙂

Went and saw it again on Saturday, this time at a larger cinema with a significantly louder soundtrack. Loved it to bits again.

I found the bits and pieces with studio and band interaction the most enjoyable bits of all, coffee cans throwing and discussions included. I view it more as a Queen movie rather than a Freddie movie, but I guess each one has their own take.

I'll be holding on for the blu-ray.

Cheers,

Alberto

8 hours ago, betocool said:

I found the bits and pieces with studio and band interaction the most enjoyable bits of all, coffee cans throwing and discussions included. I view it more as a Queen movie rather than a Freddie movie, but I guess each one has their own take.

I'll be holding on for the blu-ray.

Cheers,

Alberto

For sure. It has given me an appetite for some kind of doco that tells the story of every album. I loved the Classic Albums series and I reckon they could do a whole series on Queen albums.