Bohemian Rhapsody

On 04/06/2018 at 8:30 PM, Tweaky said:

ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS !

It's a forum, I get replies to other posts I don't like either.....That's life.

Loved that clip. That's something memories are made from. Even the little takker in the seat seemed like he knew a lot of the words.

Sadly, my kids will probably only remember when I used to tap my foot on the brake peddle at the lights, in time to some really daggy dad music, which made their heads bob in time to the music. It works best on a down hill slope, when you are stopped next to other cars at the traffic lights.

Daaaddd... stop doing that!!!!

• Like 2

Saw the movie last night. Couldn't get a seat on Saturday night!

It was very enjoyable as a fan of the music, but a pretty rubbish movie if I'm completely honest. My wife and I watched the Wembley Live Aid set on You tube on Saturday night, and a few of the videos, but this movie did give me more of an insight into the band, as I'm only a casual fan. Most if not all of their best work was done before my formative years.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
On 01/11/2018 at 10:14 PM, Snoopy8 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-01/bohemian-rhapsody-review-freddie-mercury-biopic-sanitised/10448986

Review says it is "generous on rock & roll, stingy on sex and drugs".

Agree with that. I took my kids to see it so I was quite happy with the rock & roll focus !

very enjoyable film. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Agree with that. I took my kids to see it so I was quite happy with the rock & roll focus !

very enjoyable film. 

Yes, the absence of cursing was noticeable and welcomed.

• Like 1

I've read a few reviews of the film on various websites, all have been fairly lukewarm about the film but in each case where there are comments allowed on the review the people commenting who have seen the film have loved it. I think a lot of people are putting aside the fact that it is a movie and in that situation hasn't been made very well and are just enjoying the music on a big screen. I'm keen on seeing it for that reason alone as I reckon it will sound and look superb. I wish movie theatres would show classic live concerts even if it was just a Sunday arvo thing. I've seen some rippers over the years on my poxy Macbook screen that have blown me away. To see the same on a massive cinema screen would be awesome.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Watched this the other night, the projects Freddie was involved in post Queen were truly groundbreaking.

Who else would have dared?

any true performer in his unique position to have too much money and too short a life expectancy to worry about ramifications.

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

In other words, the film is not a true reflection of historic reality......

There's no such thing. If you got all four members of Queen to make their own version, you would be watching four very different movies.

I believe it's something like 3 seconds after something happens that our agendas, prejudices, cultures, beliefs, biases etc all get to work on our memory and start to modify.

But I get your drift, no swearing, drug use, rooting etc, that's correct. But if that allows more people to experience 'some' of Queen that maybe didn't before, I reckon that's not a bad deal.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

There's no such thing. If you got all four members of Queen to make their own version, you would be watching four very different movies.

I believe it's something like 3 seconds after something happens that our agendas, prejudices, cultures, beliefs, biases etc all get to work on our memory and start to modify.

But I get your drift, no swearing, drug use, rooting etc, that's correct. But if that allows more people to experience 'some' of Queen that maybe didn't before, I reckon that's not a bad deal.

I don't know so much on that. As my kids are 7.5 and 9, they've heard pretty much all the swearing that exists in the school yard... not that they know what it all means, but how would I explain the "complicated" relationship with his wife and his "friends"?

I watched Deadpool with my wife the night before, so it was an entirely different style of movie?

• Like 1

Went to see it with the bride last night at Vmax.loved the big screen and audio.

We both loved it. Not sure how people would go if they had not grown up with all the Queen tunes though?

We both thought Faroukas teeth were exaggerated but after watching their Live Aid footage we thought nup, accurate!

• Like 1

• Administrator

I know Queen well, and honestly I came away a little underwhelmed. There was no insight into the life and times of Queen that I didn't really already know. No wow moments for me, and it was more of a celebration of all their achievements, a lot of back-patting, without any reference to the downsides or negatives. 

On the other hand, my wife absolutely loved it.

Having seen A Star is Born the same week, I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

Next up, Elton John's turn (next year I think).

• Like 1

I agree with Marc: my impression was that I'm watching a tribute to a great band and one of a kind individual.

From what I remember from the times, some opportunities to make a really great story have been glanced over, but that was compensated for with great music.

The Faroukas fangs though nearly spoiled the whole show for me. Felt like the mob who made them was only experienced with vampire movies.

10 hours ago, Blk plastic said:

I enjoyed the film but not the teeth. The whole thing was too nice. They passed up an opportunity to dig deep into the gritty story of the band. I wanted to see midgets with trays of cocaine on their heads.?

Yeah, that would have gone down a treat on Twitter right now!?

13 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Saw it. I really like the actor in Mr Robot, but he couldn’t pull off Freddy’s charisma during the concert scenes.

Who can???  Probably the best front man of all time?

• Like 2

Saw it yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.....ok, it 's not a 'great' movie but as an ode to the music and the phenomena, it was really good. Historic inaccuracies, not enough behind the scenes stuff featuring drugs, sex, Freddie's AIDS fight, all the'nitty gritty' stuff? Who cares? I actually saw the 'in your face' press conference scene and Freddie's reactions as a message to all those complaining that it wasn't 'intrusive' enough.....it's none of our business. Why give the Twitter world a chance to bring them down?

Anyway, I left feeling quite exhilarated.....?

• Like 3

Saw it today and absolutely loved it. I think any music fan would get an enormous kick out of it and I was really pleased that the Live Aid segment was given the length it was. I walked out into the early summer sunshine of Sydney at Dendy Quays feeling as if I was still in another place which to me is always a sign of getting engrossed into and enjoying a film or play.

• Like 2

Saw it tonight with friends. Everybody loved it. My advice to anyone yet to see it is that is a movie. A dramatisation. There are plenty of documentaries and biographies if you want that angle. If you enjoy this for what it is intended to be it its a great show.

Edited by crisis
  • Like 4