Hi folks,

Is there such a thing as a HDMI pre-amp? One that converts the digital output of my Blu-ay players to PCM so that I can feed it, via HDMI cable, to my NAD M51 dac? I just want to get the full audio out of my Sony UBP-X800, not the restricted to 48khz optical output that comes from going through my TV. The M51 is a great dac but at around 6 years old it is not fully compatible with what is current in the A/V world. It's only two channel listening as I have never cared for surround sound in any way, shape or form.

I could I suppose buy an A/V receiver but I would be blowing a lot of money on features that I would never, ever use, i.e. amps and surround processing and every other bell and whistle under the sun.

So, is there something out there that gives me what I am looking for?

Any thoughts and suggestions considered with great appreciation.

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

Hi folks,

Is there such a thing as a HDMI pre-amp? One that converts the digital output of my Blu-ay players to PCM so that I can feed it, via HDMI cable, to my NAD M51 dac? I just want to get the full audio out of my Sony UBP-X800, not the restricted to 48khz optical output that comes from going through my TV. The M51 is a great dac but at around 6 years old it is not fully compatible with what is current in the A/V world. It's only two channel listening as I have never cared for surround sound in any way, shape or form.

Any problems with decoding to lpcm in the player JuKKLuK and feeding that into one of the Nads hdmi ins ? As long as 2ch is it ; hdmi can handle 24/192hz easily :)

4 hours ago, cwt said:

Any problems with decoding to lpcm in the player JuKKLuK and feeding that into one of the Nads hdmi ins ? As long as 2ch is it ; hdmi can handle 24/192hz easily :)

You are limited to the source or the media that limits the HDMI and most material will restrict to 48khz.  I’ve never tried it via the HDMI but via the coax and optical from an OPPO105 will feed the M51 with 24/192.

8 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

You are limited to the source or the media that limits the HDMI and most material will restrict to 48khz.  I’ve never tried it via the HDMI but via the coax and optical from an OPPO105 will feed the M51 with 24/192.

Ive never tried it via hdmi either but the bandwidth is there and the op wants to pass higher bit depths and/or sampling frequencies [ full audio out as he says] :)

He could well be talking about the popular 2ch dsd sacd with a 88.1 or 176 bitrate - oppo prefers the former when decoding ; sony actually the later - try feeding either through sp dif it wont happen .. I think it was hdmi 1.2 that permitted sacd passthrough .