Off The Rails Cinema

Hi Everyone,

New member here. Have been lurking for a while but figured it was time I fronted up and did something.

First thing first, the name Off The Rails. I earn a living by driving trains, so this will be my sanctuary away from work, hence off the rails.

We are moving to our new house in about 7 weeks, in which there is a room we will be turning into a dedicated cinema. The room measures 3.7x5.8m (I think, will need to double check).

I am almost set on either JVC X5900 or 7900 (depending on budget)

I would really like to do an Acoustically transparent screen as I feel like we have the length. 

Has anyone had any experience with them? I had a look at a perforated screen at Selby, but didn't really like it due to seeing the perfs on any white/bright scene. I hear that woven screens are better in eliminating that. Anyone used Milliskin Spandex? Have read a little about people using that with decent results. I have around 500mm to play with before I am limited by an entrance.

In terms of speakers, Im slowly getting to listen to a few, Polk RTi A7 (didn't really like them, a little harsh for me) and Krix Phoenix and Acoustix. Quite liked them both. Any feed back on using 3 Acoustixs for LCR? 

7.1? or Atmos? Hearing different things. I think I am leaning towrads a 5.1.4 set up. Any feedback based on the size of the room.

Room looks a little like this:ht2.jpg.9b322b66b210d8514ee22df9df5ee610.jpght1.jpg.b8cdeeabff2463e432490d5b7a724d16.jpg

Door near front will probably be staying, the rectangle on the wall near the rear is a second door that I think I will need to remove and wall up. On the back wall there is 2x 300mm wide tall windows that will be blacked out and no other light enters the rooms.

Budget for the room will be 10-15k. 

Would love to hear some opinions of what you would do/recommend.

Is the 10 - 15k for the room or everything?

Carpet say 2k

Painting/window furnishings say 2k

Lounge say 3k

Screen say 1k

Projector say 5k

Speakers and wiring 3k

Subs say 2k

Avr/bluray player 2k

Theres 20k for a reasonably good set up, could easerly blow out to 25k.

Lighting? Riser? Room treatments?

15k will get eaten up very quickly.

Guest Prof.

A lot of people in the US use Spandex and seem quite happy with it..It just needs to be backed with black Spandex..

I personally use AVSeymours XD AT screen material and built the screen myself..

I sit 9' from the the screen and don't see any weave..

Consider a 5.8m deep room will allow a 2nd row of seats, so you can seat 6 if you so desire, without cramping seats up against walls, but you would probably need to lose the AT screen to do it comfortably. My room is 6.0m x 3.9m and I have a 1.8m deep rear riser for my second row and still just have room for a sub behind the rear seats, but no room for the rear seats to recline. I sit 3.5-4.0m from the on wall 130" scope screen in the front row of recliners with a mid tier JVC X7000 projector. Going the top tier can be a bit of pot luck from what I've heard considering the extra spend, where some may be no better picture quality than the mid tier models.

The front baffles of my speakers are around 1.2m from the screen wall. Be careful putting "in room" designed speakers behind a AT screen. Krix also make 3 different series (and prices) of speakers designed to go on wall or behind a AT screen.

http://www.krix.com.au/on-wall-sx/

Once the site's indexing is done I can link a thread on my room if you wish, which also has windows and similar size, as it is a converted lounge/dining room.

Edited by blybo

On 15/05/2018 at 7:07 PM, bandrews3911 said:

Any feed back on using 3 Acoustixs for LCR? 

I have often thought that that would be a good choice, I have 2 Acoustix Mk2 and a Graphix Mk2 as LCR with a TV in my family room but used 3 in-wall Symmetrix as LCR behind an AT screen in the theatre. Both are good for the purposes they are intended

but I prefer the Acoustix.

It is more money but because you are putting them behind an AT screen, have you considered Krix SX range?

On 15/05/2018 at 7:07 PM, bandrews3911 said:

Anyone used Milliskin Spandex?

I tried to get a sample before I put my room together but couldn't find a supplier; like @Prof. have read some positive reports on this product but have also read that it just wasn't as good as the woven materials. I did get samples of many of the professional screen materials as well as other materials like spandex and shade screen fabrics. I was also impressed with the XD AT screen material but eventually went with an Oz Theatre AT screen.

I noticed in your diagram that you have what looks like dipole surrounds images, I know that these are just images but I am lead to believe that if you intend on eventually going Atmos, the surrounds should be monopole or point source.

Edited by Mikeyday
Spelling error

17 hours ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Is the 10 - 15k for the room or everything?

No, that will be just for the equipment. Paint, carpet, sound treatment etc not included in that budget

7 hours ago, Prof. said:

I personally use AVSeymours XD AT screen material and built the screen myself..

I sit 9' from the the screen and don't see any weave..

Interesting, I will have a look into that. Thanks

6 hours ago, blybo said:

5.8m deep room will allow a 2nd row of seats, so you can seat 6 if you so desire

We don't intend on have a riser/ second level. While we want a quality cinema, we have it to still have a comfortable feel where we can relax and lounge around. So probable a single row, recliner/ love chair type lounge.

6 hours ago, blybo said:

Going the top tier can be a bit of pot luck from what I've heard considering the extra spend

Yeah, I am leaning towards the 5900. Having seen them both I was still very impressed by the 5900 compared to the 7900. They were showing different content so I'l have to do a legit comparison and watch the same content to make the final decision.

6 hours ago, Mikeyday said:

It is more money but because you are putting them behind an AT screen, have you considered Krix SX range?

I have, in particular the Fanatix. You don't think that they would be overkill in that size room? I need to head back to Selby and have a listen as I am pretty sure they have a MX30 panel set up behind there AT screen.

6 hours ago, Mikeyday said:

I noticed in your diagram that you have what looks like dipole surrounds images

Yeah they were just pre made images in SketchUp that I used, if I was to go the acoustixs I was just going to go the Equinox.

5 hours ago, blybo said:

in case you are interested

Thanks @blybo , will have a read through that.

Hi @bandrews3911, congrats on the new house. As you're already talking about Krix, hopefully you won't mind me popping in and offering some help.

I'm not sure if in-wall is an option for you (depending on studwork placement etc) but let me know if they are an option.

5.8m deep is a very good size for the SX range, normally once you get to around 7m we recommend moving up to Series X anyway. This depends on what sort of SPL you are wanting at your seating location. For example, if you were using the Acoustix and sitting 4.5m back, you'll hit about 98dB... any more and you're going to be pushing them quite hard in that depth room. For the same amount of power, the 95dB sensitive SX speakers will achieve 104dB and can take more.

As @blybo mentions, an on-wall version could be a good idea and save you room space along the way. I'd recommend the Megaphonix Flat as they are only 150mm deep (once the grille is removed) and come with wall mounts. For those that want the subs also hidden behind the screen they normally pair them up with Volcanix Slim which are 309mm deep, which again don't take up too much space. If you're going to frame out a baffle wall then Dramatix are the same as the Megaphonix Flat but have a face plate to screw into the studs.

On the topic of surrounds, the Dynamix are the same speaker as the Equinox but are a wedge shape and are wall mounted - they have a much slimmer profile when mounting on the wall (probably good for your room with the couch close by).

Let me know if you have any questions  - otherwise I will leave it to you and others to discuss ;)

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bandrews3911 said:

if I was to go the acoustixs I was just going to go the Equinox.

I went with the little Atomix as surrounds in the family room but in the theatre I have these as surrounds and rears.

http://www.krix.com.au/dynamix-mk2/

4 hours ago, bandrews3911 said:

I have, in particular the Fanatix. You don't think that they would be overkill in that size room?

Each to their own, some might not think so!  but I was thinking more along the lines of http://www.krix.com.au/phonix-flat/

I agree, look around a bit more and listen to see what you like.

1 hour ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

As you're already talking about Krix, hopefully you won't mind me popping in and offering some help.

Thanks Michael, the more info the better. 

I'm not sure if in-wall is an option for you (depending on studwork placement etc) but let me know if they are an option.

Not sure at this stage. Would have to wait until we are in and get the stud finder out. For some reason people seem to point me in any direction other than in wall.

Acoustix and sitting 4.5m back, you'll hit about 98dB... any more and you're going to be pushing them quite hard in that depth room. For the same amount of power, the 95dB sensitive SX speakers will achieve 104dB

I'm not sure how that converts to real life volumes, but I guess we don't need/want a super loud system. I would be more likely to lean to the side of clarity and quality over pure volume. Our first child is due in September so probably won't be blasting it too loudly. Would you still suggest to SX range with that in mind?

an on-wall version could be a good idea and save you room space along the way

In terms of performance, any difference between Fantatix and Megaphonix Flat. Specs seem to be the same so I am assuming not really.

12 hours ago, bandrews3911 said:

Not sure at this stage. Would have to wait until we are in and get the stud finder out. For some reason people seem to point me in any direction other than in wall.

Sometimes in-walls can have some substantial compromises and so the term can have a negative connotation. Our in-walls have a fully enclosed backbox and use identical components as the on-wall and in-room variants. When installed into the wall (creating an infinite baffle), you can also have less issue with reflections and cancellations.

I'm not sure how that converts to real life volumes, but I guess we don't need/want a super loud system. I would be more likely to lean to the side of clarity and quality over pure volume. Our first child is due in September so probably won't be blasting it too loudly. Would you still suggest to SX range with that in mind?

Wow, you have a lot going on this year :) If the room is primarily going to be used for movies then I would still recommend the SX range for the fronts. The increased sensitivity not only allows the driver to move less to reach the same volume (lower distortion), the waveguide also assists with radiating the sound in a direct, more uniform manner (increases clarity).

In terms of performance, any difference between Fantatix and Megaphonix Flat. Specs seem to be the same so I am assuming not really.

You're correct. Apart from dimension differences, the Fanatix is in-room with feet, and the Megaphonix Flat is on-wall with wall mounts.

4 hours ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

Wow, you have a lot going on this yea

Certainly do, through in the adoption of a Great Dane and I am starting to question my sanity.

If the room is primarily going to be used for movies then I would still recommend the SX range for the fronts

The room will be a dedicated theatre. No music listening. Content will be mainly UHD Blu Ray, Netflix Streaming and some (rarely) sport. The viewing from the wife will be mainly Netflix I imagine and a lot of dialog heavy type viewing so will need to keep her happy.

Apart from dimension differences, the Fanatix is in-room with feet, and the Megaphonix Flat is on-wall with wall mounts.

Thanks, figured as much. Just have to figure out how the wall will be built out and then decide from there. Appreciate your help/

21 minutes ago, bandrews3911 said:

Certainly do, through in the adoption of a Great Dane and I am starting to question my sanity.

That's about all you can cram in apart from a wedding! ?

23 minutes ago, bandrews3911 said:

Thanks, figured as much. Just have to figure out how the wall will be built out and then decide from there. Appreciate your help

No problems. There's plenty of ways to build the wall. Decide if you want to also hide the subwoofer(s) and you'll have a rough estimate of depth. The Dramatix are the easiest to install into studwork, just allow 150mm depth if going that route.

On 18/05/2018 at 4:52 PM, Krix Loudspeakers said:

That's about all you can cram in apart from a wedding!

Got that out of the way 18 months ago

I was playing around with designs, measurements etc.

Thinking of doing something like this. Using the Fanatix as a size guide, would need to sit them on a 300mm (approx) to have the horn at eye height. Guessing that is the ideal position for the speaker? If I was to make the plinth out of 12mm MDF would it be advisable to fill with sand or would it be okay without?

The sub used in the measurements was the Volcanix.

Screen wise, I'm still torn between going a 16:9 with horizontal masking, or 2.35:1 with vertical masking. Viewing will  be mainly movies and Netflix  (with the rare NBA, NFL, AFL). Height won't be a restriction, so I am thinking a 130" 16:9 and make some sort of masking system.

Unsure of what I would use to trim the false wall with. Either MDF painted, speaker grille cloth or felt. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to finish it.

Thanks

htscreenwall.jpg

Guest Prof.

You will at least need speaker cloth on the bottom, for the sub..

The top and sides can just be something like velvet curtaining..or any material you like..

with scope screen and a JVC you will not need vertical masking. The projector can do it for you. I have panels to mask my scope screen when watching 16:9 material. I don't bother using it as I don't notice the side bars

11 hours ago, bandrews3911 said:

Guessing that is the ideal position for the speaker? If I was to make the plinth out of 12mm MDF would it be advisable to fill with sand or would it be okay without?

Yes, generally you want the halfway point between the two drivers at ear height, so that's pretty close. If the plinth is built strongly and braced well, you may not need to use sand specifically, but if it's a cavity I'd look at filling it with insulation or similar acoustic material.

In the attached image it looks as if you have the Fanatix on a plinth at the back and the Volcanix on the floor in front. This would take 500mm or so out of the room. If you place the Volcanix on the same plinth (say 330mm deep) as the Fanatix you can save about 200mm from the depth of the room. You could also place it behind the screen if you choose to plasterboard or MDF sheet it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I kinda forgot about this thread. Been reasonably busy since the start of July, but Ill post where we are up to in the theatre now.

July - We moved into the new house. This is the room that will be transformed into the theatre.

Screenshot_20180722-164505_Realestate.thumb.jpg.3ba8acd038652a5a3ae9e37060c69632.jpg

Screenshot_20180724-184804_Realestate.thumb.jpg.31c70fb508021f17bedc08f008edf918.jpg

Mid July, I started removing the carpet, and the door nearest to the windows. I then framed in the rear door and the cut outs in the walls to flatten out the walls

20180722_164538.thumb.jpg.3b5bb62dddf82af27f46e2664f7f13ec.jpg

• Like 1

Plastered up the new framing and started working on the riser. The riser was built using 240 x 45mm the the edges and 190 x 45mm for the joists. A couple of steps on either side to get up went in as well.

20180724_174132.thumb.jpg.dadf6026f6edf1620966e49eb361b651.jpg

20180729_103357.thumb.jpg.7e2e411089599234ec70f3beb66d487f.jpg

I then filled the riser with Rockwool and then framed up the flooring which was 22mm yellow tongue.

20180804_132337.thumb.jpg.bbca295c364844a4146ad512384d3023.jpg

20180804_141750.thumb.jpg.06a37161d28b05d35bd45a5a5a1882e9.jpg

The holes in the wall are what will house the rear speakers eventually.

• Like 2

Next was to start work on the coloumns and wainscotting for the walls. The coloums were made of 16mm MDF, and the wainscotting was 12mm plus some pine trim and chair rail.

20180811_172936.thumb.jpg.a301566693118cef212512606ce04a11.jpg

20180811_172432.thumb.jpg.bf51d2011967324c2e677e2a5a0dee95.jpg

20180812_162201.thumb.jpg.e1458e6cf5a0a16aa538ad87227d01a1.jpg

After a nice sand and clean, was time for an undercoat. Using a 3 in 1 primer tinted undercoat got us a nice base before the dark finish went on.

LRM_EXPORT_20180819_180311.thumb.jpg.12a4375111809c9b9f292d42d779deeb.jpg

• Like 2

Onto the finish coat. This colour is called Kara Sea from British Paints. I had to use a Taubmans paint as I wanted matte finish and couldnt get it with the British Paint offerings. The little circle things on the riser are lights that will be installed onto the coloums.

20180821_160421.thumb.jpg.eff267dd341f0c72ff6759d9bf73132b.jpg

One of the coloums was built to house some movies. It'll hold around 90 which is enough for me. If the collection grows Ill just keep the main ones in here.

20180821_160437.thumb.jpg.b510acf0e3d2755111d0217597f49893.jpg

• Like 3

Next to happen was lights and running the power for the projector. Nothing exciting so no photos.

Carpet went in just after this, actually love the feel and look of the carpet.

20180830_125504.thumb.jpg.4edd6fe992165fe2bab2f7ef0907432d.jpg

Next on the to do list was to wire up the front stage and the in ceiling speakers. Fronts are Q Acoustic Concept 20s and Centre, with a SVS PC-2000 woofer. You can see the frame I have built which will hold the screen and then fraction fit the velvet panels around the screen.

20180901_140224.thumb.jpg.a55f183baba2473349393c6ff9091ef2.jpg

Next was to build the screen. Made of FJ pine there really isnt much to it. Build the frame then wrap in black spandex then white. Hung on the frame using a french cleet.

20180901_142835.thumb.jpg.eac6adc758f5c1e82d9b18e9a5f40496.jpg

20180902_130716.thumb.jpg.b1c2d75a9dcdec39d6eff068764377f9.jpg

• Like 2

Next was to build the velvet panels. Using the same technique as the screen, I built to frames, wrapped in double black velvet and stapled. These were cut to size so they fit against the wall/ ceiling/ floor and the screen snuggly without and adhesion.

20180902_132215.thumb.jpg.ea926006c1e5bc3269d09fa7a8882c82.jpg

Trim all finished. Cant see the seams or joints which is nice. I really like the clean look the front of the room gives.

20180902_170452.thumb.jpg.0c32ee86af6439007111ecd45999f4ba.jpg

• Like 3