Sign in to follow this  
Gremrock

Help Me Pick Drinks for My Wedding! (please :>)

So,

October and we'll be tying the knot, sealing the deal or throwing a once in a lifetime party! Issue is, we are overspending on everything and frankly can't afford it. The venue has no bar, so purchased drinks aren't an option, only what we supply or what people bring themselves.

The plan is to supply a "beer & wine" bar along with a glass of bubbly for toasting... on the cheap :)

We're looking at: a Full Strength / Mid Strength / Light Beer (1 of each, maybe 2 full strength options) ---- a Toasting bubbly (have picked the Jacobs Creek Chard. Pin. Noir @ $7/bottle as first choice so far, or maybe the red label Eaglehawk Cuvee Brut) & Probably 3 wines (open to cask, as i'm sure the fussy few will bring their own nice bottles anyway), maybe a bubbly dry, a sweet(isn) white and a red. (By all means, recommend your preference over this, as I won't be drinking much if any of this anyway).

Hoping to keep the wine under $10/bottle or $30/cask, Beer under $45/carton (& less for light beer). 

Will be offered as a "Wine, Beer, Softdrink/Mixer Bar, BYO Spirits"

Beer wise I like Guinness/Kilkenny/Coopers Pale Ale/XXXX Bitter/Carlton Dry&lime/Coopers extraStout and a few others but not sure how popular these choices are :)

With the stress involved in planning some of this stuff feel free to recommend me some "therapeutic wines" to try during the run-up too :P (can be more expensive here since i'll only be drinking one)

Thanks in Advance :)

Re wine, have a look at some of the Kemenys hidden label wines - usually from good provenance and some can be had for <$10/bottle.

At least you'll know it's reasonable quality as they are usually half the price if it had the maker's label on it.

How many bottles of each are you getting? If you can stretch a few dollars more per bottle (or buy 1 less bottle) these will be good bang for buck and if any left over will stand up in their own right at home for a dinner.

Merlot $11.99
http://www.winestar.com.au/mike-press-adelaide-hills-merlot-2016

Shiraz $12.99
http://www.winestar.com.au/de-bortoli-windy-peak-shiraz-2017

Savvy Blanc $11.99
http://www.winestar.com.au/yalumba-y-series-sauvignon-blanc

Moscato $11.99 (sweeter but not silly sweet)
http://www.winestar.com.au/trentham-family-moscato-2017

I went through this a few years ago and getting the booze selection and quantity  right was a stress.  If you dig back in these forums you'll probably find my thread very similar to yours. :)  

I was fortunate enough to have a good mate in the industry who helped in choosing and buying the wine for a good price.    1 white, 1 red, 2 bubbly.  I can't recall what exactly but nothing too sweet or too heavy.    

I reckon you need more bubbly than for just one toast.   We went through more bubbly than either white or red.   

For beer we had a selection of kegs from a local craft brewery.  More expensive than cheap slabs but for great quality 'craft' beer it was a bargain ($300 a keg for beer that sells for $80 to $90/slab). The brewery supplied all the hardware free of charge and refunded any kegs that weren't opened.     It's a good option if you want fancy beer,  but having said that I'd go for slabs next time.  

On 14/05/2018 at 8:13 PM, Gremrock said:

Beer wise I like Guinness/Kilkenny/Coopers Pale Ale/XXXX Bitter/Carlton Dry&lime/Coopers extraStout and a few others but not sure how popular these choices are

Not sure about Guinness or Kilkenny as they're best out of a pint glass,  and that's probably a hassle you don't need.     

Have a majority of normal beers (Coopers and XXXX)  and a small qty of specials like the stout & Dry&lime if you want.    Best to have some light beer too...a six pack should do it.   

another tip is to buy from a place that will accept returns if you over estimate.  Dans do it.    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/weddings

Zywiec Porter @ 9% alc. Will guarantee you both a nice early (cheap) night as everyone will have slunk home or passed out.

On 14/05/2018 at 8:13 PM, Gremrock said:

So,

October and we'll be tying the knot, sealing the deal or throwing a once in a lifetime party! Issue is, we are overspending on everything and frankly can't afford it. The venue has no bar, so purchased drinks aren't an option, only what we supply or what people bring themselves.

The plan is to supply a "beer & wine" bar along with a glass of bubbly for toasting... on the cheap :)

We're looking at: a Full Strength / Mid Strength / Light Beer (1 of each, maybe 2 full strength options) ---- a Toasting bubbly (have picked the Jacobs Creek Chard. Pin. Noir @ $7/bottle as first choice so far, or maybe the red label Eaglehawk Cuvee Brut) & Probably 3 wines (open to cask, as i'm sure the fussy few will bring their own nice bottles anyway), maybe a bubbly dry, a sweet(isn) white and a red. (By all means, recommend your preference over this, as I won't be drinking much if any of this anyway).

Hoping to keep the wine under $10/bottle or $30/cask, Beer under $45/carton (& less for light beer). 

Will be offered as a "Wine, Beer, Softdrink/Mixer Bar, BYO Spirits"

Beer wise I like Guinness/Kilkenny/Coopers Pale Ale/XXXX Bitter/Carlton Dry&lime/Coopers extraStout and a few others but not sure how popular these choices are :)

With the stress involved in planning some of this stuff feel free to recommend me some "therapeutic wines" to try during the run-up too :P (can be more expensive here since i'll only be drinking one)

Thanks in Advance :)

Peroni can be had for $40-45 when on special for the full strength, most will be happy with that. the major liquor stores do there own "craft-like"  IPAs which aren't up there with the best but will meet the budget - Lorry Bros, Steam Rail (steam rail do a 10 can box) 

+1 on Coopers but may blow the budget, their 3.5 %er is good too.

the vogue these days has moved away from our traditional state-based Oz lagers. 

Not sure I would do a dark or stout beer like the Irish options, and they come in big cans. maybe Little Creatures Rodgers - its on the darker amber side and could be your mid strength option. 

There's Toohies Old if you must have a dark and should meet budget-drinkability goals

XXXX Gold is the most consumed beer in OZ, so that could be the light option

$10 / bottle is a tight budget. I would be tempted to sign-up with Virgin Wines and get a box of 12 delivered then cancel your membership.  But J-Creek should be good.

I'm seeing elegant cans of wine appearing so you could look at a 6-pack of that - also avoids finding 5 opened bottles with just a single glass consumed. No serious wine drinkers goes sweet especially if you have nice food going - that's an easy one to drop IMO. 

Good luck! 

and congratulations 

In the year 1982

I went out and purchased 3 cases of good quality scotch and got a discount 

Placed one or 2 bottles on each table 

Beer & wine was available 

At the end of the night 

We had a bill that was higher on soft drink than beer & wine together 

Thanks everyone for your input. So far I've ordered some Bubbly for toasts, a couple cases of Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz (couldn't afford $30+ per bottle for the Bin28)  and some Jacobs Creek cool harvest Pinot Grigio. I'll put up a Carton of Coopers Light, but I don't expect it get drunk in my family..

I'm torn between XXXX bitter as its the best "local" heavy in QLD Tooheys as its cheap ($10 less per carton) and "Other".. Most of the big drinkers are spirits drinkers or wino's anyway so it probably doesn't matter.. The snobbier few will probably bring a bottle they like anyway to ensure they like what they drink I guess... So it'll probably be Tooheys at the end of the day.

On 18/06/2018 at 8:23 PM, Gremrock said:

Thanks everyone for your input. So far I've ordered some Bubbly for toasts, a couple cases of Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz (couldn't afford $30+ per bottle for the Bin28)  and some Jacobs Creek cool harvest Pinot Grigio. I'll put up a Carton of Coopers Light, but I don't expect it get drunk in my family..

I'm torn between XXXX bitter as its the best "local" heavy in QLD Tooheys as its cheap ($10 less per carton) and "Other".. Most of the big drinkers are spirits drinkers or wino's anyway so it probably doesn't matter.. The snobbier few will probably bring a bottle they like anyway to ensure they like what they drink I guess... So it'll probably be Tooheys at the end of the day.

For future reference (perhaps first anniversary) I would suggest vinomofo. They have black labels which unlike clean skins retain their original label -  this only makes a difference if you are trying to impress someone, or not appear as a cheap skate.  The other bonus is that if you don't like the first bottle (six pack) or two bottles (dozen) then you get a no quibble refund and they organise a pickup of the remaining bottles.  I always wondered how many single or paired bottles you can drink for free before they drop you off the list.

https://www.vinomofo.com/wines/black-market

All the best for your big day.

@Gremrock Love your beer selection mate. No idea about the wine as I now only drink cheap blended red and Chardonnay. I find wine can be ridiculously over priced for what it is.

If people want to drink spirits make it a BYOS.😎

I'm not sure what your friends like specifically (and age will come into play), but generally, extremely generally, I have found that Corona, while tasting like cats piss, is often quite popular.

Just realized you're in Kingaroy. Go the XXXX.

38 minutes ago, Klattsy said:

I'm not sure what your friends like specifically (and age will come into play), but generally, extremely generally, I have found that Corona, while tasting like cats piss, is often quite popular.

Just realized you're in Kingaroy. Go the XXXX.

The problem is that XXXX also tastes like cat's piss................ mixed with dishwater.

I'm going to a wedding in Radelaide in Sept. The young couple are in their early 30's and have a child and a home and now that they're feeling reasonably secure they've decided to have a wedding.

A venue has been picked but when it comes to drinks...Well they've attacked it from a different angle.

They've asked every single person who is coming to also bring their favourite beer/wine/bubbles/port/sticky wine/spirit/lemonade/mixer...times 3.

I can't wait to sample what's on offer.

I've ordered 3 slabs of a filthy triple IPA that sits at 9.2%.

3 bottles of  Veuve Clicquot  Rosé (non vintage thank you very much)

3 bottles of  Woolies own brand tonic water in plastic bottles just so we can watch who blanches at the immediate taste.

It's not a huge wedding list, I think there might be 60 something people coming from the two family's in total. But when you multiply the bring three drink rule by three...this young couple don't have to fork out a single thing and the night is going to be very different to your normal supplied drinks or bar tab night,

Just a thought Gemrock that's all. Your plans might be to far advanced to change now but the wonderful thing is that the bride&groom don't have to spend a thing on the grog. And the fun that will ensue when discussion comes around to the cheap arse Dan Murphy no label wines and nasty foreign beers and that 'Yellow' stuff masquerading as bubbles...haha! What masochist brought this then?😄.

*Have a great day either way. Kingaroy of course calls for pumpkin scones as I'm sure your aware.

58 minutes ago, rantan said:

The problem is that XXXX also tastes like cat's piss................ mixed with dishwater.

Yes, like breakfast television and coffee pod machines, one wonders why some things are so popular.