bactamtung

Please recommend portable DAC for Android phone

Hi,

I currently use Samsung Note 4 phone, Geek Out 450 DAC, Onkyo HF player App with phone. I can play DSD files, very pleased with sound quality.

The only issue is Geek Out draws a lot of power out of Note 4. I can only listen for 1 hour or so.

I would like to buy another compact DAC that has good quality (as good as Geekout), can play DSD, and with its own battery. If that battery can charge phone as well that would be a bonus.

Please send your advice in.

Cheers, Tung

image.png.d199fed88e078c5692b564cec77b495a.png

+

image.png.ca3e511bdc1c40002c051d0dab059c36.png

Hi Nada,

Thanks for the pics. Normally one pic would mean 1,000 words but the first pic may be = 150 words only ? I guess it's an adapter that has OTG & Micro USB ? The 2nd one = 650 words as I can see Anker and ask  Mr Google. Please give more info: brand, model and your own opinion on those. 

Cheers, Tung

I found a temporary solution: an OTG adapter that houses 4USB's and charging jack, refer photo.

It charges the phone, or maybe charges the Geek out DAC, whichever, the phone battery is slowly charged to full while playing DAC.

DAC & OTG.jpg

The IFI IDSD is a good sounding unit. It has it's own rechargeable battery I could get about 10 hours out of mine between charges. It is a bit bulky so it's good for long trips but maybe a pain for short commutes. I used USB Player PRO (or whatever they call it now) and was able to play files at their native sampling rates.

Check out Darko Audio’s report on Shanling’s M0 ($99) which is a DAP and can be used as a DAC too.

What about a geek out v2+ (with battery)?

My onkyo ha300 is available. Listed here and on eBay. Pm me if you’re interested. It probably is the best solution for you. Not to mention it’s probably a big upgrade in terms of sound quality. Super value for the price.