Sign in to follow this  
OZee

Cheap Class D amplifier

I have a friend who is a student and does not want to spend lots of money . But had a bookshelf speakers and old Oppo 9x 

He wants to try external amps and was wondering if he can use cheap class D amplifier 100w for $30

DC24 100W 100W mini 2.0 channel TDA7498 Class D digital power amplifier
http://s.aliexpress.com/fAVrei6f?fromSns=Copy to clipboard

Anyone have any experience in using these class D?

Will this be a good start and later he can swap with expensive gear?

It will be better than tv sound?

Will be better than TV sound.
The cheap Class D amp  I've used in the past sounded nice. Nice is inoffensive and you can consider it boring but it does the job.

a cheap 2nd hand receiver or Japanese integrated could be better.

5 hours ago, OZee said:

I have a friend who is a student and does not want to spend lots of money . But had a bookshelf speakers and old Oppo 9x 

He wants to try external amps and was wondering if he can use cheap class D amplifier 100w for $30

DC24 100W 100W mini 2.0 channel TDA7498 Class D digital power amplifier
http://s.aliexpress.com/fAVrei6f?fromSns=Copy to clipboard

Anyone have any experience in using these class D?

Will this be a good start and later he can swap with expensive gear?

It will be better than tv sound?

I've got one of these, or some variant of the amp - I use it to burn in speakers when I build new ones to not use my good amplification for such a mundane task. I use a laptop power supply I already had that was relatively high voltage and current and works well with it. It doesn't remotely put out 100W but it is surprising how much half decent sound it puts out for $30. Much better than TV sound, but the speakers are a big part of that.

I bought one of these in a compact blue tooth amplifier with a 32V 5A external power supply for $116 and really wanted it to be as good as the reviews, and initially I was impressed with the sound for such a small amp but this was short lived. The blue tooth worked okay and although manually switching between sources was via a toggle on the face, this was okay as well for my purposes. 

The problem came after about 3 minutes of use when a high frequency sound started and slowly increased in volume until it was quite audible but in the LH speaker only and only on line in. After another few minutes the high frequency ring could just be just heard on the RH speaker. I tried several different line level input sources and many different speakers and locations as well as RCA cables but the problem was remaining with the unit. After a couple days of really wanting it to be good, I gave up as I could not put up with the "ring" so the supplier happily accepted it back with a full refund.

Given that the problem seemed to not be there with blue tooth sources, I believe that the amplifier side of the product may have been okay and the problem could be caused by something on the input side of the board. 

Regardless, instead of trying another brand or replacement unit, I decided to upgrade my receiver for very little extra after selling and buying second hand.

I may try playing with another one someday but it may be safer just to get cheap old receiver.

Cheap and practical. Unless your friend is in to electronics, then I suggest a module that comes in an enclosure with inbuilt plugs and sockets and pot - if needed, some come with a nice headphone socket and separate amp IC.  SURE make good modules. They can operate off an old laptop 19VDC power supply (but that requires a plug modification, and some google checking).  They are plenty loud enough for most people (even the 50W modules), and I use them for TV amps so that I can use good wide-range speakers.  With a PC (or as a TV utility amp), there is really no need for mixer or tone controls, or surround sound.  The use of smps and class D means negligible power and heat, as the unit may stay on 24/7, and no need for their own shelf as they can squeeze in or behind enything.  I only use the analog input versions - no want or need for bluetooth.

Edited by trobbins

The one I have is without bluetooth and it has worked perfectly fine with the 19V power supply I have (actually it's embarrassing how good it sounds with my good speakers in my properly set up room compared to an amp costing 1000x as much with lesser speakers.)

Edited by Ittaku