Sony Programme Editing

I have a KD55X8500E and I'd like to skip channels so when I hit the programme button I don't get so many versions of the same channel, i.e. SD, HD, clone channels, etc.

Does anyone know how this is done? There's no settings information in the owner's manual which is basically a booklet on how to mount the TV and not much info on it online.

I have my favourites selected in the 'guide' but I can't seem to personalise the channels in numerical order of my choice. The channels are all over the place.

Does anyone know if I can change the channel identifier?

I've never experienced such a cumbersome way to personalise a TV; it shouldn't be this hard.

s

3 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Does your remote have a 'Favourites' button?

No it does not and I can't believe Sony would leave this feature out.

I loved the Fav button on my Panasonic TV's remote and the red button allowed me to select to view only my Favourites when I hit Programme up and down button and only my Favourites appeared in the TV Guide.  They were also in numerical order not some weird order that makes no sense.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

16 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Do you  have a 'heart' symbol on your remote?

Nope.

My Panasonic had the heart symbol on screen when you edited the favourites.

Had I known of a lack of Favourite option on the remote I may just have gone with the Panasonic equivalent. Favourites is a mandatory feature in my opinion.

There surely must be a way of selecting favourites and I don't know about it yet. Every TV I've owned since the 90's has had some sort of 'skip' feature to filter out the riff raff stations. I sure as hell don't want to watch racing or home shopping but would still like to access these stations on a 'just in case' basis should they be screening something I may want to watch.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

Do you have a 'Discover' button on remote? If so what happens when you press it?

From the net;

The quickest and easiest way to access your 'favourites' is to use the "Discover" button on the remote control. Your favourites will be listed there. You can also set you favourites to be at the top of the list in the Discover area. All you need to do is scroll down in the Discover area to 'Settings' and there is another icon called "Reorder categories" – Or you can use the "Show/Hide categories" setting too.

Worst case, you would need to delete the unwanted Channels. This is what I did with my brand new Samsung.

41 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Do you have a 'Discover' button on remote? If so what happens when you press it?

Yes there is and when pressed it reveals the favourites on screen as icons; you then have to scroll left or right to select your favourite. It's not a bad feature except the icons are large so you don't see all the favourites listed on one page. I guess that's the price you pay for modern icon graphics.

41 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Worst case, you would need to delete the unwanted Channels. This is what I did with my brand new Samsung.

Yes I realise that's an option but as mentioned above, I'd like the unwanted channels somewhere accessible, rather than having to retune my TV to get them back and go through the tedious method of having to delete all the other unwanteds. Unfortunately Sony didn't make deleting them an easy process; I won't bore you with a screen worth of details, it's a tl;dr scenario and will put you to sleep if you tried to follow it.

Also, a problem I find so annoying when I scroll through the programme list using the up/down button is the non-numerical order.

i.e. The current order is 024 (ABC), 003 (SBS), 033, 034, 004; I find it convenient to place ABC22 in the 4 location, 2+2 = 4 is how I remember it and it's only one button press. I did work out how to change the channel location/ID since my OP. Luckily when I press 4 it does go to 004, thank you Sony for not making me have to press three buttons to get 004.

I've always preferred Sony but Panasonic got it right with my last TV, the above-mentioned selection would go 3, 4, 24, 33, 34, etc. I'd place my favourites in the top 9 where I'd use one button to access them, then scroll up/down for the others.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

So far I've discovered I can set the order of the Favourites by going into the Favourites menu; rather than the Programme List Edit where you'd expect.

In Favourites menu, select 'Digital' and scroll up; there you'll find 'Reorder Favourites' is sneakily hidden out of view. You can then set the order of your favourites to a proper numerical order or whatever order you like, rather than that weird order where 003 is nestled in between 024 and 033 instead of coming right after 002.

This has provided some relief. Now after setting the Guide to Favourites I can see the order I pre-set. 

Unfortunately, when I hit the Programme +/- button, it goes through every channel in the bizarre order mentioned above, it doesn't scroll through favourites only; on my Panasonic and every other TV I imagine; this would happen when favourites is selected.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that, it looks like I'm not the only one with that complaint. lol

I've gotten used to the way it is and using the Discover feature as mentioned above, more so than the guide.

I started a new job so not watching anywhere near as much TV. I'll look into that when I have some time.

s

For Sony’s Android models go to: [Home] > [Settings] > [Channel Setup] > [Digital setup] > [Technical Set-up] > [Program List Transfer] > [Export]

I got as far as [Technical Set-up], there was no [Program List Transfer] option.

:(

s

• 1 year later...

Same problem here. KD75X8000G.

I can set up the favorites.

(finally) worked out how to show only them in the guide.

Even worked out how to reorder them in the guide (thank god for my IT degree)

Still, the PROG +/- button scrolls through all channels in a dumb order.

Perhaps the update that tries to install everytime I turn the tv on will fix it. Pity the tv never updates.