bruc3

ATH-AD2000x vs Beyerdynamic T90

Posted (edited)

I want to hear opinions/advice from people who have actually experienced or heard both of these headphones.

I currently own ad2000x, which are amazing headphones. But have been reading about t90s and not sure if they may even be better?

How do they compare?

I will mostly be listening to classical, jazz, Asian pop and bunch of instrumental music with mostly female vocals and some American artists such as Sia, Adele, Nora Jones.

I like headphones with high trebles and good mids, and don't care much for bass. 

I have previously owned ATH-R70x, AKG K712 and even the HD800 recently.

Edited by bruc3

I can only say my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro in 32 and 250ohm are great. But the Sennhieser 700s are better.

Ah ok, I just never really been a fan of Sennheiser.

Tried the HD650 previously and it did nothing for me and owned the HD800 for a short period and honestly preferred my AD2000x (Vocals sounded better and overall just seemed more engaging in the music I listened to).

Overall I guess I am an Audio Technica fan.

Only brand that has me still curious is Beyerdynamic as I have never really tried one thoroughly enough yet.

Hi Bruc, 

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilees. I had auditioned these against the ad2000x at the time of purchase. My final decision was a choice between these two headphones. I must apologise, but I've forgotten why I chose the T90s, but I can still say that of all the headphones on offer, I liked these two the most. I found the others I tested that day to be too dark, people will say the T90s are bright, and that's a fair assessment, because compared to 5 other headphones they were bright, but, I didn't see it that way, I thought that the 5 other headphones were dark, and lacking resolution in the treble. The next thing to consider is that, often on early listens, something with more treble sounds better, but when we live with it we find it fatiguing. This never happened. I've used these headphones with no problem, and regularly go back to them for a break from 2 channel, where I'm still amazed at the detail on offer. 

I use 2 channel more than headphones now, but I can say that for all the doubt online about the T90s, whereas other high end headphones might get lapped with praise, I've been a really content owner. You should audition a pair of T90s, I'd lend you mine if you were in Perth, but I think you might find that you will still prefer your AD2000xs. 

Thanks for the reply Frameperfect, I also suspect I may prefer my AD2000x, but its the curiosity factor.

On 12/05/2018 at 8:38 PM, bruc3 said:

Thanks for the reply Frameperfect, I also suspect I may prefer my AD2000x, but its the curiosity factor.

Why not drop by Chatswood and see Wing at Minidisc, he’s got the whole range of Beyerdynamics and Audiotechnica, some good headphone amps and music sources.

This will give you a good indication of what Beyerdynamic are about in comparison to AD2000x

Neo

Edited by Neo

Yeah i am thinking of dropping by minidisc when i get some time as they are an hour drive away. I actually bought both my r70x and ad2000x from them. 

I always try to buy from Wings store when I can as I think his store is really great and they are offering such a great service to everyone by having such a huge range on display to try out. 

I've got a T90, haven't heard the AD2000X.

I find the T90 to be a very record dependant headphone mainly because of its treble response. It's a very big con in my books because there's a nasty peak at around 6k that magnifies silibance which can make speech and 'tch' sounds sound grating. The general treble profile is also quite thin and sparkly. Recordings with splashy cymbals and hihats (esp hihats) will sound even more splashy.

If you can live with that, or avoid listening to problem recording, then the cans have some pretty good pros going for it.

I like how fast the drivers sound. It's lean and very tight everywhere other than high treble region. Bass notes have nice short, solid impact. Soundstage is above average, somewhat airy without going all head in clouds (Hifimans).

If the the elevated treble response doesn't make things sound sh!t then they tend to make things sound better. Metallic sounds sound quite simply magnificent - sparkly, airy and tight.

Overall I reckon the T90s make for a great secondary or tertiary headphone that you pull out from time to time. The con is too big for it to be my primary cans but the pros are oh so lovely with the right material.

Tl;dr is if the T90s are bad then they're really bad. However if they don't sound terrible then chances are they'll sound very good.

Thanks for your feedback Deuced, your experience sounds consistent to what I have been reading and I will see if I can find a 2nd hand one I can buy to try, that way if I don't like it then I can sell it without taking a huge loss. 

There is currently a 2nd hand one on gumtree but the guy is asking too much for it. So I will wait to find another deal. 

Edited by bruc3

Sia is Australian.

Hope that helps :P

Ive owned a few Beyers. Not convinced you'll like them, but best just audition. Never know. Try the T1 too.

You might be best off just sticking with the best ATs you can afford.

Yes I do like my AT's, but I have never tried Beyers before and want to see if I am missing anything.

And proud that Sia is Aussie, one of the best female vocals of this generation.

Judging by your music taste, I think a slightly warm can with silky bottom end and mids would suit best. But never know, you may love the T90. I enjoyed my time with the T70.

If you can audition something like the LCD2c / LCDx. I got my MrSpeakers Aeon from Minidisc, give them a whirl too.

Thanks, I did try the LCD2c at minidisc, but found it was really heavy and weighed on my neck. Guess its cause I got used to the super lightweight ATH headphones.

I'd auditioned the T90 against 

Stax 007

stax 407

LCD 2

Beyerdynamic T1 

HD650

HD800

AK702

and came out that I'd prefer the t90.   They're no longer made and I think there's a new model that supersedes it.    I bought the k702 and did direct comparisons but the T90 left it for dead in terms of efficiency and dynamics.  I tried the AT50x because I wanted a sealed unit, but they're not cheap enough for me.  The beauty about the T90 is that they are more efficient than the T1 and they are very different to the Sennheisers in SQ.  The other thing about the T90 is that you can power them with a iPhone 5 or a Lenovo laptop and it's all I will ever need.  And I have a Stax Lambda Pro.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah, but how was the sound? Or too distracted with the weight?

yeah unfortunately all I kept thinking was how heavy it was and took it off after < 5 mins so cannot give my opinion about how they sound, sorry.

9 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I'd auditioned the T90 against 

Stax 007

stax 407

LCD 2

Beyerdynamic T1 

HD650

HD800

AK702

and came out that I'd prefer the t90.   

you just made me want them even more now, thanks lol.

I agree with these comments, and yes I have Stax and was trying to sample an alternative to what I had which was a Lambda Pro with a SRM 1 MK 2 driver.    I had a choice, but the choice was based on economics and SQ.  At the end of the day I wanted a headphone that I didn’t need an expensive amp to drive which would have beèn a SPL monitor: 

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/t90.htm

The Stax Range are all different,  I can’t justify the 007 or the 009 and yes I’ve heard both.  @Frameperfect is spot on in his post.  You may find your 2000x is all that’s required.  I can undersatand how so many owners have said it’s sibilant due to the bump from 5k.    But that bump gives you clarity and transparency in the HF that’s not for everyone’s cup of tea.  

I just couldn’t justify the cost of any of the Stax and the inconvenience of a reliance on an electrostatic driver.  I’ve also heard a $40-50k can system that included the Hi end Woo drivers,  way too much for my pay grader,  With the T90 it’s a 3.5mm jack that directly device.  

http://en.goldenears.net/13369

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

I had a choice, but the choice was based on economics and SQ.  At the end of the day I wanted a headphone that I didn’t need an expensive amp to drive which would have beèn a SPL monitor: 

Yes, not needing a pricey amp is another reason which attracts me to the T90's, as I will just be driving them with my Sound BlasterX AE-5.

Although in the future when I have more money I may try tube amps out just for kicks to see what all the fuss is about.

What about Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm, very fond memories of those. When given enough juice not as treble happy as one would think Beyerdynamic usually are. Highly recommended as another candidate to consider 

Neo