Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm in the process of getting the gear together and then setting up sound solutions for three rooms at my dive shop in Rye.

 

In the front office I'm setting up an Intel i7 NUC with 16GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD drive running Roon Optimised Core Kit (ROCK). The music files of my 1000+ albums will be on a WD Elements 4TB USB3 external hard drive connected to the NUC.

 

In the main shop will be a Yamaha RX-V795A AV Receiver with a Raspberry Pi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Steel case, and 16 GB memory card running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge. Zone A of the RX-V795A receiver will be powering a pair of Coral X-III 3-way bookshelf speakers.

 

Zone B of the RX-V795A receiver will be powering a pair of Sony SS-D301 3-way speakers in the front office.

 

In the back room will be a Yamaha RX-V995 AV receiver with another Raspberry Pi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Steel case, and 16 GB memory card running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge. Zone A of the RX-V995 receiver will be powering a pair of Yamaha NS-50T 2-way speakers.

 

Using the old 5.1 channel AV receivers gives me AM and FM radio, plus the use of a remote control. With 85W and 80W per channel respectively they should be more than capable of getting the job done. I already had one not being used, and you can pick up such units very cheaply these days. Even ones with quite reasonable stereo sound capabilities.

 

The Ethernet cabling to the RPi units and the Intel NUC will be on the modem/switch/router/wireless unit currently used to provide customer Wi-Fi. Thus totally separate from the business network.

 

Customers and staff will get to use Roon Remote to control the music being played.

 

All I need now is some data and speaker wiring to be done, shelves installed for the NS-50T speakers, and the two RPi+DACs to arrive. (I have one I can use until then to get things started.)

 

I'll post some picks as the gear gets installed. 

 

Hopefully my taste in music will prove broad enough to not turn away too many divers. Who knows, it might even attract some. The dive shop that rocks! Or chills to jazz. Just depends on the vibe on the day.

 

Maybe one day a Tidal subscription might be used to provide an ever wider choice of music via Roon.

 

It's going to be interesting to see how it's all received and how it's used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best check the legalities of playing music in a shop if you have not already, I think it is classed as a public place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the shop is a dive wouldn't you be better off spending the money on a fit out?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Darryl said:

If the shop is a dive wouldn't you be better off spending the money on a fit out?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now have the main shop Roon based sound system up and running. A Yamaha RX-V795A AV Receiver with a Raspberry Pi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Steel case, and 16 GB memory card running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge. Zone A of the RX-V795A receiver is powering a pair of Coral X-III 3-way bookshelf speakers. Mostly using an Apple iPad Pro 10.5" as the Roon control.

 

It's already quite possibly the best sound system in a dive shop anywhere in the world. Staff and customers love it. Soon it will be even better.

 

Waiting to get another HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, installing shelves for the speakers, and finishing off a network cabling upgrade so as to get the back room sound system running.

 

Considering getting a third HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, another pair of Coral X-III 3-way bookshelf speakers, plus repurposing a Yamaha AM Stereo / FM Stereo Tuner T-420A, Yamaha Stereo Control Amplifier C-50, and Yamaha Stereo Power Amplifier M-45 (125 W) combination I already have for the front office.

 

I'd like to be able to let customers choose the music, but I can't just yet. While Roon supports profiles, it doesn't password protect them, and all profiles have full access to the music library. To give customers access, I really need to be able to have a profile where users can only read and play music. I don't want them being able to edit and delete music library contents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Great way to write off your audio gear purchases on tax👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Great way to write off your audio gear purchases on tax👍

Not really. I'm mostly repurposing suff I already had at home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the dive shop...

A Yamaha RX-V795A AV Receiver and a pair of Coral X-III 3-way bookshelf speakers. DAC is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge.

 

 

 

dive-shop-sound-part-01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the front office...

A NAD 7020 AM/FM Stereo Receiver (circa 1988, 20W per channel) driving a pair of Coral X-III 3-way bass-reflex bookshelf speakers (circa 1982). The DAC is an Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M DAC (Raspberry Pi 3B with Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M DAC, 7" OLED Touch Screen, Volume control, Steel case, and 8 GB memory card running RoPieee OS to create a RoonBridge).

 

front-office-sound-system-desk.jpg

front-office-sound-system-speakers.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the back office...

A Yamaha RX-V992 AV 5.1 channel Receiver is driving a pair of Yamaha NS-50T 2-way speakers. DAC is a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

back-office-sound-system.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FLAC lossless music files from my collection of 1,390 albums and 22,061 tracks are being delivered from an Intel i7 NUC running the Roon Labs ROCK music server software. The ROCK uses a 4TB Western Digital external USB3 hard drive for music file storage.

 

An Apple iPAD Pro 10.5" and Android based smart phones are used as the Roon control devices for browsing the library and selecting the music.

 

It's an eclectic mixture of vintage, unloved and new gear put together relatively cheaply. Yet it sounds awesome!

 

If Roon's profile feature supported a guest/party mode, I'd let customers install Roon on their smartphones and select what they want to play. However, right now with Roon profiles everyone has access to everything and can edit and delete metadata and tracks. Roon needs a locked down party/guest mode where the setup is read and play only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, lloyd_borrett said:

The FLAC lossless music files from my collection of 1,390 albums and 22,061 tracks are being delivered from an Intel i7 NUC running the Roon Labs ROCK music server software. The ROCK uses a 4TB Western Digital external USB3 hard drive for music file storage.

 

An Apple iPAD Pro 10.5" and Android based smart phones are used as the Roon control devices for browsing the library and selecting the music.

 

It's an eclectic mixture of vintage, unloved and new gear put together relatively cheaply. Yet it sounds awesome!

 

If Roon's profile feature supported a guest/party mode, I'd let customers install Roon on their smartphones and select what they want to play. However, right now with Roon profiles everyone has access to everything and can edit and delete metadata and tracks. Roon needs a locked down party/guest mode where the setup is read and play only.

Any customers said anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there Lloyd, Wow!--a Dive shop that has cool Music!--Kudos--most are pretty grim and not the most friendly--maybe due to the piss poor paid staff😥

 

Your setup looks and I'm sure sounds great!. Just an aside myself as a previous Wreck/Cave Dive Instructor(Retd) I'm sure you are watching with apprehension

 

on the events unfolding in Thailand-I'm praying for a miracle but my Nous has trepidation --deep down I think they are on hiding to nothing sadly.

 

I'm going on my situations with seemingly experienced Divers while guiding in the Cenotes!

 

--that is a cakewalk compared to the navigation/logistics as they present to the Rescuers. I wonder if those Norwegians could've assisted?

 

I pray the best but fear the worst.

 

Willco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Any customers said anything? 

Customers are loving it. When they come in I often start to turn the volume down and many ask me to put it back up. Lots of comments about how the shop just feels much friendlier now. Plenty of requests for something they'd like to hear. Of course I'm inflicting my musical tastes on them, but I have a fairly broad range of genres available.

 

Most of the time I start Roon off in the morning by selecting an album to play, and then let Roon's Radio feature just go roaming through the library. It's interesting to hear the connections it makes. I started this morning with the album "A Night In San Francisco" by Van Morrison and so far it's played tracks by John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, The Travelling Wilburys, Eagles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Supertramp. The Doors, The Police, Bob Seeger, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, and currently The Allman Brothers Band.

Edited by lloyd_borrett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Willco said:

I'm sure you are watching with apprehension on the events unfolding in Thailand

Yes, watching it and not liking their chances. When the highly experienced cave rescue guys from England that found the boys describe it as "a bit gnarly" and a Thai navy seal diver dies in there, it makes you wonder. 

 

Most scuba divers couldn't cope going through a squeeze in an underwater cave where your air cylinder has to be pushed in front of you. And in Thailand it is much worse. The water is very cold and there is absolutely no visibility, even with a powerful torch. The space is so confined. That is pretty terrifying, dangerous and challenging for highly experienced cave divers. Now imagine teenage you trying to do it when you can't even swim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lloyd_borrett said:

Yes, watching it and not liking their chances. When the highly experienced cave rescue guys from England that found the boys describe it as "a bit gnarly" and a Thai navy seal diver dies in there, it makes you wonder. 

 

Most scuba divers couldn't cope going through a squeeze in an underwater cave where your air cylinder has to be pushed in front of you. And in Thailand it is much worse. The water is very cold and there is absolutely no visibility, even with a powerful torch. The space is so confined. That is pretty terrifying, dangerous and challenging for highly experienced cave divers. Now imagine teenage you trying to do it when you can't even swim.

I agree totally --we can but pray and hope

 

Willco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Willco said:

I agree totally --we can but pray and hope

Willco

 I am only a "novice" diver and know how easy it is to panic underwater. Many times for a stupid reason I would panic and suck up air like their is no tomorrow or just wanted to go up ,and breath normal air. Their is no way I will ever go cave diving - I am just too scared.

It is mind over matter and the poor boys have never done this before so it will be very very hard.

I am hoping the fact that they have survived so far shows that they have the strenght to do it. Maybe their young age and lack of understanding of the dangers mights stand them in good stead.

Praying that they can the boys out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


29 minutes ago, Willco said:

I agree totally --we can but pray and hope

 

Willco

I'm not a big believer in thoughts and prayers, unlike all of those in power in the USA who think that's the only way to fix people with guns murdering their fellow citizens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lloyd_borrett said:

I'm not a big believer in thoughts and prayers, unlike all of those in power in the USA who think that's the only way to fix people with guns murdering their fellow citizens.

Prayer and hope may not be for those bearing guns, but what do you offer to those in need.

I have been on the receiving end of the positive power of prayer many times, so I believe in it.

By offering input by praying for a good outcome is better than doing nothing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×