SOLD: FS: McIntosh MR-65B Stereophonic FM Tuner (Extra Rare)

SOLD

Item: FS: McIntosh MR-65B Stereophonic FM Tuner (Extra Rare)
Price:  SOLD $550 plus postage
Item Condition: Good for its age.
Reason for selling: surplus
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Here's one for the vintage FM analogue collectors amongst us - a rare and beautiful McIntosh MR-65B valve FM tuner. I bought this from an enthusiast here on Stereonet who also had the legendary Marantz 10B tuner. The MR-65B tuner is in good working condition, all valves and everything seems to light up, it pulls FM signals easily and it sounds great and has a clear sweet valvey tone. This is a USA 110v model that will come with a compact 240v step down transformer, so it is ready to use. As you can see from the photos it is in original condition and has not really been worked on from what I can see. I think the mute and volume control at the front has been disabled to give a cleaner signal path. There is another master volume control at the back of the unit to control volume level, and it works fine.

I used to love listening to the McIntosh MR-65B on ABC Classic FM and Jazz, there's something involving and right about the sound of these old vintage valve tuners.

The MR-65B tuners seem to be fetching up to $799 USD on Ebay and some people say they sound better than the newer ones?? See here:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-MR65B-FM-Stereo-Tuner-/182583836916

Here is some discussion on the various McIntosh models:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/difference-between-mcintosh-mr65-and-mr65b

" The MR-65B was McIntosh's first factory installed stereo tuner, and in my opinion, one of the best sounding tuners that McIntosh (or for that matter any other manufacturer) has ever built.

It is a darn fine looking piece of gear too, especially when in its solid walnut case. 
Regards,
JimmyBlues "

Pictures:

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1