Sign in to follow this  
OZee

Does source matter if you are HDMI out

I always had this question

If I have a really good AVR like top of line Yamaha Avantage 3070

Can I use basic Blu-ray player $200

Or I do need Oppo 203 player?

I know for fact Oppo loads Blu-ray really fast!

But what about sonic performance as I am going digital out HDMI not using a analog out on Oppo.

Have a look at audioholic s at 9 minutes

3 minutes ago, OZee said:

Can I use basic Blu-ray player $200

But what about sonic performance as I am going digital out HDMI not using a analog out on Oppo.

As long as the player is being used as a BD transport, then sure.

Just need to make sure the player is not altering/processing the video or audio in any way and is simply passing it to another device for decoding etc.

Laser make a reasonable player that can be picked up for about $50 refurbished or $100+ new. The good thing about these is they are region switchable for blurays (A, B, C) out of the box, available in the menu as a simple change. No need for hacked firmware or mod kits.

JSmith :ninja:

Thanks @jsmith

Is there a basic UHD 4k player in which we can bitstream out sound for AVR to decode?

15 minutes ago, OZee said:

Thanks @jsmith

Is there a basic UHD 4k player in which we can bitstream out sound for AVR to decode?

Sure, Samsungs UBD-K8500 would do the job... has been $200 on special here and there.

22 minutes ago, OZee said:

Thanks @jsmith

hi ozee I suggested in your other thread to buy basic panasonic. as an ex samsung k8500 owner am sorry i cant recommend ive seen far too many issues surfacing. its a first gen player and i suspect samsung arent keeping it upto date with firmware :)

the basic pana is only $50 more and am sure that price is negotiable .... 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/panasonic/panasonic-dmp-ub400gnk-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player/444397/

as I mentioned in the other thread if have a 103, just keep it and supplement with something like the pana to get you uhd capability :)

Thanks for the input al

Al have you tried any side by side difference between Oppo and basic player?

42 minutes ago, JSmith said:

@:) al, what about the M8500 (higher price, newer model)?

no idea on that one jsmith to comment. I had zero issue with the older sammy in ownership. it did need custom settings to output image properly but once done worked seamlessly, its just in recent times once superseded ive been seeing issues crop up which is a pity to see. 

21 minutes ago, OZee said:

Al have you tried any side by side difference between Oppo and basic player?

ive owned the sammy which is a basic player, none of the other players might be seen in the "basic" category all spent over $600 upwards with the pana 900 or oppo 203/205

I posted some thoughts on the 205 just as transport really. there are some other differences and benefits to owning the player , but am not sure id be claiming any difference audio wise as a transport vs anything else have owned. 

This is also relevant to the Cambridge Audio CXUHD. Is this an Oppo-203 with the DAC guts removed?

11 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

This is also relevant to the Cambridge Audio CXUHD. Is this an Oppo-203 with the DAC guts removed?

it is ... in just transport form :)