PS Audio vs Devialet

On 08/05/2018 at 4:12 PM, Mike13 said:

I’m thinking my next upgrade could be either a PS Audio DirectStream Junior or a Devialet 200. 

Both mean I could sell my Chord 2Qute DAC and my Bluesound Node 2 streamer. Devialet means I could also sell my amps.

I listen to only Tidal (and a few tracks from a Synology NAS). PS does MQA full unfold.

Can anyone provide some advice on this or comparisons? Thanks

To break it down, if these are your only choices,

from what @scumbag  says the PS has some questions as to whether it will work well as a pre however if it does it will do what you want and sound very good by all accounts. I havent heard it. you can get rid of the dac and the Bluesound however you may want Roon.

The devialets selling second hand will replace your amps and dac but they dont have a Tidal streamer built in (the newer ones apparently will but much more $$$) but with Roon (again) the Dev is a joy to use and volume and on and off switch are on the roon control. Definately the slickest and easiest way of listening to Tidal.

I owned a Devialet and really enjoyed my time with it. It packs a huge amount of fidelity and functionality into a very cool looking small box.

I recently compared the devialet dac and the Gieseler gross and I thought the gross was smoother more resolving and had a much deeper soundstage. if the Gross does indeed sound like the DS junior then...

The plot thickens....

Edited by frednork
missed an important word

Guest scumbag
9 hours ago, everydayIs25 said:

It’s my first time hear somebody said sound like Compressed... interesting.

It’s hard to say Dev better or PS Audio, as a system need to match each other and the room. Dev can sound bad with some speakers, PS can sound bad with some speakers.

My experience Devialet sound extremely well in a proper set up. The GT1 is one great example. It’s hard to find something to beat it at its price point. If you go multiboxes, you need to make sure they are all match.

Well I should clarify. And sorry if I have offended anyone with my comments, that was not my intent but I realise how making comments about gear that someone likes can be taken personally. 

Firstly when I mention compression I don't mean that dynamic peaks are being compressed. What it sounded like to me was that the lower volume was being raised to make it louder. I would never complain about the loudness and dynamics of the Dev. 

Let me further explain. When the original dev 120 and 200 were released they were praised universally but there was one criticism in the press about how the unit sounded really thin at low volumes. That was back at firmware 7. So at firmware 8, things improved a bit and bass started to become a bit more prominent. Then in v9 the bass was more prominent and the dev got even better at low volumes. Now in all this, the hardware is the same so the change can only be thru changes in the DSP. The devialet developers were responding to feedback from users and the press. Rolling back and forward from the v7 to v9 or v10 firmware instantly confirms this affect and there is a whole thread on the devialet owners forum about this very topic. I ran my dev on v7.1 as that gave me the most organic and unforced sound. But then I am a fan of class a amps so that might explain that preference. 

Guest scumbag
14 hours ago, frednork said:

To break it down, if these are your only choices,

from what @scumbag  says the PS has some questions as to whether it will work well as a pre however if it does it will do what you want and sound very good by all accounts. I havent heard it. you can get rid of the dac and the Bluesound however you may want Roon.

The devialets selling second hand will replace your amps and dac but they dont have a Tidal streamer built in (the newer ones apparently will but much more $$$) but with Roon (again) the Dev is a joy to use and volume and on and off switch are on the roon control. Definately the slickest and easiest way of listening to Tidal.

I owned a Devialet and really enjoyed my time with it. It packs a huge amount of fidelity and functionality into a very cool looking small box.

I recently compared the devialet dac and the Gieseler gross and I thought the gross was smoother more resolving and had a much deeper soundstage. if the Gross does indeed sound like the DS junior then...

The plot thickens....

The Giesler Grob DAC is worth having a listen to. It might also get you that Preamp functionality that you need. You'll then need a device to stream to it unless you use a PC or MAC. More $$$$$

My view it is different horses for different courses. You have to remember the devialet is not just a dac, it includes an integrated amplifier as well. If your listening environment isn't critical (ie, open plan living area) then it does a very good all round job. In my case the only DAC that I have heard which comes close to vinyl is DAVE so for my serious listening I have a Lavardin IT amp and a turntable.

@TerryOIf you are in Sydney one day and the planets align send me a PM and I can hook up the Devialet to a good source and speakers in my attic room. You'll be surprised at how good it can sound - It still won't sound any where near as good as my vinyl though.

Edited by PKay
  • Like 1

I own dual mono Expert 200 arrangement. I previously had the PSA DS.

Compared to a single 200 the dual mono is a different beast and if you can afford it then yes it’s worthy.

Equals if not betters the DS, from my experience, in terms of DAC performance.  

The Expert 200 alone is excellent and is very transparent. Getting the transport right is critical for the Expert to perform. With that said I used my PSA AC12 cables with the 200’s  when I first got them and were “ok” but when I changed to Chord Sarum much improvements where heard.

I also had the PSA P5 which I found necessary to get the DS to perform, contrary, with the Expert the P5 killed the atmosphere and dulled dynamics. Granted it did sound a bit cleaner but unnatural.

I now use Synergistic Research Tranquility bases, one for each Expert and get simulare result to the P5 in terms of clarity, tighter bass, calmness but without the lifeless “deep space” void associated with power conditioning. 

I use the Ethernet port on my Expert with a battery powered switch, Wireworld and Audioquest Cat cables. Compared to USB this allows the Expert to shine. 

If you have at least 10k + to buy a decent amp then the DS is a contender if no then the Expert is an excellent package that performs. 

2cents worth.. 

• Like 3

When trying out a number of amps last year the salesman kept pushing me to try a demo first model Dev 200. So after listening to several other amps I decided to give it a try. I actually found it very uninspiring and almost withdrawn and weak sounding, so much so that I wondered what all the fuss was about.

I can't comment on the PS Audio but I can say I won't be rushing out to buy a Dev anytime soon. No offence is meant to Dev owners.

cheers Terry

What is the configuration in the Dev system you hated?

Well I should clarify. And sorry if I have offended anyone with my comments, that was not my intent but I realise how making comments about gear that someone likes can be taken personally.  Firstly when I mention compression I don't mean that dynamic peaks are being compressed. What it sounded like to me was that the lower volume was being raised to make it louder. I would never complain about the loudness and dynamics of the Dev. 

Let me further explain. When the original dev 120 and 200 were released they were praised universally but there was one criticism in the press about how the unit sounded really thin at low volumes. That was back at firmware 7. So at firmware 8, things improved a bit and bass started to become a bit more prominent. Then in v9 the bass was more prominent and the dev got even better at low volumes. Now in all this, the hardware is the same so the change can only be thru changes in the DSP. The devialet developers were responding to feedback from users and the press. Rolling back and forward from the v7 to v9 or v10 firmware instantly confirms this affect and there is a whole thread on the devialet owners forum about this very topic. I ran my dev on v7.1 as that gave me the most organic and unforced sound. But then I am a fan of class a amps so that might explain that preference. 

No offend mate, and I believe no one take it personally , so don’t worry about that. I just have different opinion about Devialet Amp default_smile.png

I think it’s IMPOSSIBLE to have better sound than Devialet Expert 220 Pro if you don’t spent a lot more money! Even spend more, may be just get a different sound. The source you feed into Devialet is extremely important, it’s a very transparent and revealing amp, but being so revealing not necessary always a good thing too.

In regarding to the firmware, I am aware of it, it’s the beauty of Devialet Amp, and so to many other amp, they fine tune it by their creators’s understanding of music. It is completely normal, it just because having the ability to be able to upgrade/downgrade so making you think it’s an “issue”, it’s also the transparent of Devialet. For most of the amp, this kind of tuning done in the lab by the manufacturers, then they never change their profile.

Guest scumbag
36 minutes ago, everydayIs25 said:

No offend mate, and I believe no one take it personally , so don’t worry about that. I just have different opinion about Devialet Amp default_smile.png

I think it’s IMPOSSIBLE to have better sound than Devialet Expert 220 Pro if you don’t spent a lot more money! Even spend more, may be just get a different sound. The source you feed into Devialet is extremely important, it’s a very transparent and revealing amp, but being so revealing not necessary always a good thing too.

In regarding to the firmware, I am aware of it, it’s the beauty of Devialet Amp, and so to many other amp, they fine tune it by their creators’s understanding of music. It is completely normal, it just because having the ability to be able to upgrade/downgrade so making you think it’s an “issue”, it’s also the transparent of Devialet. For most of the amp, this kind of tuning done in the lab by the manufacturers, then they never change their profile.

I didn't think the fact that you could change the firmware was an issue. If I thought that I wouldn't have bought a DSJ DAC, or a MicrRendu or even my car that has a linux based OS ;)

I was referring more to the actual change in sound that each firmware brought about. In my opinion, the progression of firmware was not to my taste.

And I agree, one of things I struggled with when I owed my Dev' was finding a good source to work with it's character. I ended up with a SOTM200 which I felt had a delicacy in it's sound that balanced well with the Devialet. Cables changes also became important. In this case, the trusty Curious USB Cable became my ally. 

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, everydayIs25 said:

Terry is a Toob man. 

I'll chime in here...

My comments wont rationalise your system as you're looking at going to a Devialet. Also, I haven't heard a Devialet. But I have heard:

Chord 2Qute (which I own)

Chord Hugo TT

PS Audio DirectStream jr

Geiseler GroB DAC

I've had all these side by side over the last few nights comparing against each other as I'm looking to 'upgrade' from my 2Qute.

I have to disagree with some of the comments that I've read in the earlier posts, and elsewhere in Stereonet. No offence to anyone intended so if it comes across that way I apologise in advance. Also please take note in advance that I have a decent Linear Power Supply for the 2Qute.

Frankly, if you buy a PS Audio DirectStream or DirectStream Jr you will be taking a huge step backwards. (From what I've been told by someone I trust and who has both the DirectStream and DirectStream Jr they sound very similar). I was thinking the DirectStream Jr could solve my streamer and DAC question all in one, so I was really hoping it would sound great. I'm also a PS Audio fanboy, I've had PS Audio DACs in the past and have a P3 power regenerator. But the DIrectStream Dac is no where near as good as the 2Qute. Not even in the same ballpark. So if you have the 2Qute now, dont sell it for a DIrectStream!!! Atleast try them side by side before making a decision. And do yourself a favour and get a decent Linear Power Supply for the 2Qute. I know lots of people will be in disbelief - but have you tried them side by side with exactly the same cables and setup? I also switched around power cables, ran the DACs straight off the wall sockets and out of my P3, off filtered power boards, swapped USB cables - I very much doubt you could get the PS Audio playing at the same quality as any of the other DACs I mentioned. Its warm and woolly and inoffensive, but sounds like a blanket is over your speakers. And before anyone asks, yes it was running the latest firmware, has been burnt in, and was left on over a couple of days. TAKE NOTE I did not use the i2s input or the Bridge card so YMMV.

And in general I also prefer the sound of a really good Turntable to a DAC, so I'm not a person who likes bright/sharp/hyper etched systems.

But I was appalled at how bad the PS Audio was in comparison to the other DACs. It's fine in isolation, had a full sound - bloated really especially in the upper bass- and was warm, but was a bit messy when playing anything more than simple tunes. It really is not in the same league as the others.

At the other extreme is the Geiseler GroB DAC. I don't think I can find the words to explain how insanely good it is. @scumbag what system did you listen to the DS Jr and Geiseler GroB in? Did you say you couldn't tell a difference between the DirectStream and the Geiseler? Because the difference was so obvious to me and so dramatic its unbelievable. Maybe the system synergy wasn't there for the Geiseler in the system you listened to, or the system wasn't that resolving?  I've still got the Hugo TT and 2Qute and which I'm listening to right now and I keep thinking of the Geiseler, which I will buy as its so cheap in comparison to the others yet so astoundingly good in comparison... The detail coming out of that little DAC is unbelievable - you could hear the acoustics of the room the music tracks were recorded in. In complex pieces instruments are clearly separated and their tone is clear to make out - the PS Audio blurred the instruments together so you heard a mass of instruments. The bass on the GroB extended down lower than all the other DACs - infact the frequency extremes were more extended in comparison, which you only noticed when switching back to the other DACs, mostly the PS Audio. The jump in audio information delivered and sound quality is so dramatic I can't begin to express how much better the Geiseler is in comparison to the PS Audio.

I suppose I have to question when people compare if they're getting the most out of their DACs. Ive got a tricked out Mac with an UpTone Audio Liner Power Supply running Audirvana and other software - unless you are using a customised computer set up for audio or something like my Mac or better, say an Antipodes music server, you wont here what a DAC is capable of and I'm guessing you wont hear much of a difference between DACs. Also what USB cables are people using, and how resolving are the other components in their system?

When comparing the Chord 2Qute and the Hugo TT to the other DACs it was clear these are really class acts from a company that knows had to create components that deliver a consistently high quality sound - they don't favour one type of music or another and would work really well in most systems. I suspect that if your system is bright or focuses on delivering detail at the expense of body and tone the Geiseler might be a step too far and I'd recommend going for one of the Chord DACs. But if your systems is balanced I'd go straight to the Geiseler and wouldn't bother with anything else below $10,000. 

The Hugo TT sounds a little more solid than the 2Qute, and perhaps extends down slightly further with slightly little more bass, but its not chalk and cheese. Goes to show how great the 2Qute is. The Hugo TT really is a beautiful and well design product, and the sound is just so good!!! The sound out of the Chord DACs is so balanced, so lifelike, well extended, just a really beautiful, well rounded and classy sound with lots of detail and terrific tone. If anything, the Chord DACs represent the tone of instruments a bit better than the Geiseler Grob, but its a close run thing and you wouldn't notice unless you have them side by side.

Hope this helps anyone looking at the same kind of DACs.

Just remember that you really have to have a resolving system to hear the differences to the degree I did, and no doubt that there are much better systems than mine that would make the differences even more obvious. But regardless, the DIrectStream doesn't compare or make music like the other DACs I compared. I just don't know why people are so enamoured of the PS Audio?!

• Like 10

• Volunteer
27 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

But regardless, the DIrectStream doesn't compare or make music like the other DACs I compared. I just don't know why people are so enamoured of the PS Audio?!

I wonder which version of the PS Audio firmware you listened to. By all accounts (and I haven’t heard it, so I’m not speaking from experience) the latest version is head and shoulders above previous ones 

Guest scumbag
36 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I wonder which version of the PS Audio firmware you listened to. By all accounts (and I haven’t heard it, so I’m not speaking from experience) the latest version is head and shoulders above previous ones 

Sounds like the DSJ was on Huron. Red Cloud is / was a massive jump. I also use balanced cables which I believe makes a big difference in the DSJ.

My system is comprised of a BHK signature pre (though the pre was not in play on the day of the comparison) and a Pass Labs XA30.8 power amp' feeding some very resolving speakers of my own design. I listened to the GroB with its owner and we both independently agreed that the difference was too fine to pick. I think that if I had not invested in DSJ, I would happily live with the Grob and keep the change but I am not going to sell the DSJ. And I must also say, whilst using the Bridge sounds good, feeding the DAC with a good streamer gives an appreciable step up too. 

Right now with my Pre running some NOS Tungsram 7DJ8's I'm getting some lovely sounds.

Edited by scumbag

I'll chime in here...

My comments wont rationalise your system as you're looking at going to a Devialet. Also, I haven't heard a Devialet. But I have heard:

Chord 2Qute (which I own)
Chord Hugo TT
PS Audio DirectStream jr
Geiseler GroB DAC

I've had all these side by side over the last few nights comparing against each other as I'm looking to 'upgrade' from my 2Qute.

I have to disagree with some of the comments that I've read in the earlier posts, and elsewhere in Stereonet. No offence to anyone intended so if it comes across that way I apologise in advance. Also please take note in advance that I have a decent Linear Power Supply for the 2Qute.

Frankly, if you buy a PS Audio DirectStream or DirectStream Jr you will be taking a huge step backwards. (From what I've been told by someone I trust and who has both the DirectStream and DirectStream Jr they sound very similar). I was thinking the DirectStream Jr could solve my streamer and DAC question all in one, so I was really hoping it would sound great. I'm also a PS Audio fanboy, I've had PS Audio DACs in the past and have a P3 power regenerator. But the DIrectStream Dac is no where near as good as the 2Qute. Not even in the same ballpark. So if you have the 2Qute now, dont sell it for a DIrectStream!!! Atleast try them side by side before making a decision. And do yourself a favour and get a decent Linear Power Supply for the 2Qute. I know lots of people will be in disbelief - but have you tried them side by side with exactly the same cables and setup? I also switched around power cables, ran the DACs straight off the wall sockets and out of my P3, off filtered power boards, swapped USB cables - I very much doubt you could get the PS Audio playing at the same quality as any of the other DACs I mentioned. Its warm and woolly and inoffensive, but sounds like a blanket is over your speakers. And before anyone asks, yes it was running the latest firmware, has been burnt in, and was left on over a couple of days. TAKE NOTE I did not use the i2s input or the Bridge card so YMMV.

And in general I also prefer the sound of a really good Turntable to a DAC, so I'm not a person who likes bright/sharp/hyper etched systems.

But I was appalled at how bad the PS Audio was in comparison to the other DACs. It's fine in isolation, had a full sound - bloated really especially in the upper bass- and was warm, but was a bit messy when playing anything more than simple tunes. It really is not in the same league as the others.

At the other extreme is the Geiseler GroB DAC. I don't think I can find the words to explain how insanely good it is. [mention=151841]scumbag[/mention] what system did you listen to the DS Jr and Geiseler GroB in? Did you say you couldn't tell a difference between the DirectStream and the Geiseler? Because the difference was so obvious to me and so dramatic its unbelievable. Maybe the system synergy wasn't there for the Geiseler in the system you listened to, or the system wasn't that resolving?  I've still got the Hugo TT and 2Qute and which I'm listening to right now and I keep thinking of the Geiseler, which I will buy as its so cheap in comparison to the others yet so astoundingly good in comparison... The detail coming out of that little DAC is unbelievable - you could hear the acoustics of the room the music tracks were recorded in. In complex pieces instruments are clearly separated and their tone is clear to make out - the PS Audio blurred the instruments together so you heard a mass of instruments. The bass on the GroB extended down lower than all the other DACs - infact the frequency extremes were more extended in comparison, which you only noticed when switching back to the other DACs, mostly the PS Audio. The jump in audio information delivered and sound quality is so dramatic I can't begin to express how much better the Geiseler is in comparison to the PS Audio.

I suppose I have to question when people compare if they're getting the most out of their DACs. Ive got a tricked out Mac with an UpTone Audio Liner Power Supply running Audirvana and other software - unless you are using a customised computer set up for audio or something like my Mac or better, say an Antipodes music server, you wont here what a DAC is capable of and I'm guessing you wont hear much of a difference between DACs. Also what USB cables are people using, and how resolving are the other components in their system?

When comparing the Chord 2Qute and the Hugo TT to the other DACs it was clear these are really class acts from a company that knows had to create components that deliver a consistently high quality sound - they don't favour one type of music or another and would work really well in most systems. I suspect that if your system is bright or focuses on delivering detail at the expense of body and tone the Geiseler might be a step too far and I'd recommend going for one of the Chord DACs. But if your systems is balanced I'd go straight to the Geiseler and wouldn't bother with anything else below $10,000. 

The Hugo TT sounds a little more solid than the 2Qute, and perhaps extends down slightly further with slightly little more bass, but its not chalk and cheese. Goes to show how great the 2Qute is. The Hugo TT really is a beautiful and well design product, and the sound is just so good!!! The sound out of the Chord DACs is so balanced, so lifelike, well extended, just a really beautiful, well rounded and classy sound with lots of detail and terrific tone. If anything, the Chord DACs represent the tone of instruments a bit better than the Geiseler Grob, but its a close run thing and you wouldn't notice unless you have them side by side.

Hope this helps anyone looking at the same kind of DACs.

Just remember that you really have to have a resolving system to hear the differences to the degree I did, and no doubt that there are much better systems than mine that would make the differences even more obvious. But regardless, the DIrectStream doesn't compare or make music like the other DACs I compared. I just don't know why people are so enamoured of the PS Audio?!

I like your style.

I didn't think the fact that you could change the firmware was an issue. If I thought that I wouldn't have bought a DSJ DAC, or a MicrRendu or even my car that has a linux based OS [emoji6]

I was referring more to the actual change in sound that each firmware brought about. In my opinion, the progression of firmware was not to my taste.

And I agree, one of things I struggled with when I owed my Dev' was finding a good source to work with it's character. I ended up with a SOTM200 which I felt had a delicacy in it's sound that balanced well with the Devialet. Cables changes also became important. In this case, the trusty Curious USB Cable became my ally. 

I know one guy got a SOTM200 Ultra but he wasn’t happy with it. It’s very personal.

When the system is extremely good, you get less “enjoyable music”. So sometime you found the system doesn’t sound good, it may not because the system is not good.

Like you are driving a Ferrari, it needs road to perform. May be not the best example because no body will agree Devialet is a Ferrari in audio, haha!

I suggest OP to hear it in person, if possible in your own room!!!

6 hours ago, everydayIs25 said:

Im not sure I understand your question but I'll give it a go, I didn't hate the Dev, I just found it very underwhelming compared to the other amps I listened to, as I said earlier I came away after listening to it wondering what all the fuss was about them.

I even mentioned my thoughts to the salesman at the tine and he said, yes he understood and then said he gets two types of people in their store, those who are really wowed by the  Devialet and those like me who wonder what all the fuss is about.

Yes I like tube amps but that doesn't stop me from likeing other amps either, I actually quite like some class D amps, I found the Peachtree Nova 150 a excellent bit of gear for the money and bet the Nova 300 would be even better value. I didn't see the value in a new Dev 200 even though it's not just a class D amp. I also prefer separates where possible so one can upgrade parts when better gear comes along rather than being stuck with one box.

One should never say never and if I get the opportunity then I'll listen to one again but I'm in no rush.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, everydayIs25 said:

Wrong question.

The correct question is:

"Under what conditions did you listen and was it a proper double blind comparison?"

If it was not a DBT, then personal bias was likely the over-riding factor in the conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Wrong question.

The correct question is:

"Under what conditions did you listen and was it a proper double blind comparison?"

If it was not a DBT, then personal bias was likely the over-riding factor in the conclusion.

I agree that the impact of personal bias should never be underestimated. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Max wrote - I very much doubt you could get the PS Audio playing at the same quality as any of the other DACs I mentioned. Its warm and woolly and inoffensive, but sounds like a blanket is over your speakers. And before anyone asks, yes it was running the latest firmware, has been burnt in, and was left on over a couple of days. TAKE NOTE I did not use the i2s input or the Bridge card so YMMV.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

• Volunteer
11 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

Max wrote - I very much doubt you could get the PS Audio playing at the same quality as any of the other DACs I mentioned. Its warm and woolly and inoffensive, but sounds like a blanket is over your speakers. And before anyone asks, yes it was running the latest firmware, has been burnt in, and was left on over a couple of days. TAKE NOTE I did not use the i2s input or the Bridge card so YMMV.

Regards Cazzesman

Oops. My bad. Sorry Max

Guest scumbag
1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Wrong question.

The correct question is:

Not this again. Why do you have to use these threads to peddle your DBT doctrine?

9 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Not this again. Why do you have to use these threads to peddle your DBT doctrine?

Although your question was highly impertinent, I will respond as best as I am able:

Double blind testing is, at present the best form of testing we have. In many areas, from pharmaceuticals to audio. An highly contentious claim was made. Such an extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence. A DBT would be suitable evidence. 

FWIW: I've listened to several Devialet amps, under both sighted and blind conditions. They are, by any measure, exceptionally fine sounding products. 

• Like 2