PS Audio vs Devialet

4 minutes ago, scumbag said:

The Devialet sends everything through the DAC so there is no bypass option I'm afraid. 

Hmm. I wonder how it can be compared then. Can you use only its DAC?

2 hours ago, scumbag said:

Well I'm going to have to ask @Bill125812 really nicely if he can bring his GroB over again and have another DAC off in my office setup.

1 hour ago, Bill125812 said:

I’m in 

Note that Bill's Groß is a 3 input version whereas mine is the USB only version.  While I have not had the chance to compare, it has been mentioned the USB version is better.  Also, Bill, not sure you have updated the Amanero firmware, but the version recommended by Clay is 1099c.  I did a few tests with the firmware and it surprised me how much it affects AQ.

Apologies to OP for taking this thread OT...

3 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Note that Bill's Groß is a 3 input version whereas mine is the USB only version.  While I have not had the chance to compare, it has been mentioned the USB version is better.  Also, Bill, not sure you have updated the Amanero firmware, but the version recommended by Clay is 1099c.  I did a few tests with the firmware and it surprised me how much it affects AQ.

Apologies to OP for taking this thread OT...

Hi Snoopy 

when I picked up the DAC a few months ago, Clay said it had the latest firmware 

do I clay?  @Gieseler Audio

• Volunteer
17 minutes ago, jt301 said:

Any analogue signal is immediately converted to digital via its ADC, processed and then converted back via the devialets DAC.

You can take digital in and get line-level analog out (on models with a preamp out). 

So yes, it can be run as a dac only. 

21 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

You can take digital in and get line-level analog out (on models with a preamp out). 

So yes, it can be run as a dac only. 

But who cares...

No one is going to sell Devialet to buy a Grob...

It like comparing a sports car to an SUV...

• Like 2

I think if you're trying to 'isolate' the dac in the Devailet to compare to the others you're looking at, you're missing the whole point of the Devialet. Its an all in one unit, and the super short signal length is part of the beauty. Either you like the 'sound' and functionality of the Devialet as it is, or you go and buy something else. Simple really!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

I think if you're trying to 'isolate' the dac in the Devailet to compare to the others you're looking at, you're missing the whole point of the Devialet. Its an all in one unit, and the super short signal length is part of the beauty. Either you like the 'sound' and functionality of the Devialet as it is, or you go and buy something else. Simple really!

Think you’re right. 

Guest scumbag
57 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

But who cares...

Well the OP does.

Edited by scumbag

26 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

22 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Think you’re right. 

6 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Well the OP does.

The evidence clearly states otherwise...

@scumbag’s suggestion of comparing the Devialet to a Grob/2Qute with other amps and source is interesting. I agree it doesn’t make sense to isolate the Devialet DAC because you do have to buy the rest of the bundle with it. It’s just how can you tell how much the Grob/2/Qute or any other DAC influences the sound compared to whatever you are pairing it with?

On 08/05/2018 at 4:12 PM, Mike13 said:

I’m thinking my next upgrade could be either a PS Audio DirectStream Junior or a Devialet 200. 

Both mean I could sell my Chord 2Qute DAC and my Bluesound Node 2 streamer. Devialet means I could also sell my amps.

I listen to only Tidal (and a few tracks from a Synology NAS). PS does MQA full unfold.

Can anyone provide some advice on this or comparisons? Thanks

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

But who cares...

Well, OP is considering buying a Devialet to replace chord 2qute and amps, or, replace 2qute with PS DS  Junior 

Other option which has been suggested is replace 2qute with Groß

@Rob181 What would be your advice?

• Like 1

• Volunteer
8 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

@scumbag’s suggestion of comparing the Devialet to a Grob/2Qute with other amps and source is interesting. I agree it doesn’t make sense to isolate the Devialet DAC because you do have to buy the rest of the bundle with it. It’s just how can you tell how much the Grob/2/Qute or any other DAC influences the sound compared to whatever you are pairing it with?

It’s tricky. 

You really need to compare one “bundle” with another. The devialet on its own as a DAC + amp compared to your current amp + Grob/2Qute. 

On 13/05/2018 at 11:14 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

It’s tricky. 

You really need to compare one “bundle” with another. The devialet on its own as a DAC + amp compared to your current amp + Grob/2Qute. 

Think you’re right, it’s got to be about the bundle when comparing the Dev to something else. 

21 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Think you’re right, it’s got to be about the bundle when comparing the Dev to something else. 

Agreed. As a suggestion.  Maybe work through a selection of DACs and decide which you prefer with your current amp / speakers. So far that would seem to be the Grob.

Then compare this combination to a devialet.

“There really is nothing like the Devialet, every review, even from the most respected journalists who have heard it all can’t say enough good things about the whole range. It is certainly revolutionary with many patents against it including the hybrid power design at its heart, using both Class A to voice it and Class D to power it, all very clever.” — Quoted. [emoji1]

On 11/05/2018 at 8:27 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

If it was not a DBT, then personal bias was likely the over-riding factor in the conclusion.

I'm often guilty of that when I choose gear :)

Interesting discussion and one take home is how good Clay's new DAC is :thumb:

• Like 1

On 16 May 2018 at 11:50 PM, PeppaPig said:

“There really is nothing like the Devialet, every review, even from the most respected journalists who have heard it all can’t say enough good things about the whole range. It is certainly revolutionary with many patents against it including the hybrid power design at its heart, using both Class A to voice it and Class D to power it, all very clever.” — Quoted. emoji1.png

Did that quote come from a Dev marketing brochure?

If one measures sq by the number of patents a amp holds then yes I'm guessing the Dev wins. Maybe if I had of known how many patents the amp has against its name when I listened to one then I would have actually been impressed by it.

cheers Terry

I think depending on people, you like easy do or complicated do.

I haven’t try ps audio no idea,but Dev 200 for me is good money and convenience all in one, easy use and technology.

Talk about appearance: beautiful When unbox new, light easy to carry but hard to take care, due to glossy shiny, look good at start but wosrt if careless, enemy of dust! For look good now, later maybe.

Convenient for 60/40: it is depend on user.

You like lastest technology, go devialet. If you are kind of nerd, You can modified software tweaks so much detail to match with your system. You can spend a day or a week or even a year just for tweaks.

Everything you have to do on website then upload to dev. Sometime not easy when you want a click done.

You will have milion type of sound you want, and you will find one suit you most. For me, sometime i lost, then i go standard!

You may spend more time on software but Save money on cable and time for setup. Your system are looked clean and tidy. All you need is dev and speaker, same feeling as souce and active speaker.

Support up to dsd64 only, dsd128 dsd256 will be disappointed you! If you have dsd source.

Not much i can say about sound, different ear different feel. All i can say All dev is digital! Feel digital look digital and Sound digital! If you are playing analog, hearing analog and live in analog, dev is not a smart move.

I have trial Chord Dave, and i like it! I don’t own it, i wish i do ! [emoji106]

By the way, i’m not bias digital, I’m growing with digital, but fall in love with analog.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Louis Vu said:

I have trial Chord Dave, and i like it! I don’t own it, i wish i do ! emoji106.png

Thanks Louis for your input. How does Dave sound compared to the Devialet? It’s costs about the same for DAC only so I’d expect it to be multitudes better.