Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Runaway

To doggy bag or not to doggy bag

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JSmith said:

... does anyone actually ask for a "doggy bag", as opposed to a take away container? :unsure:

 

Yeah, I would usually eat all my food or wouldn't be concerned about wasting a small portion.

 

JSmith :ninja:

Yes,

 

”we” as in the boss and I from time to time but that’s usually stuff that can be kept for a little while or can be refrigerated.   Everytime we have asked they’ll give you containers unless you are in China, and everytime they will hand over the container but won’t get involved handling the food!   I don’t thing any restaurants will actually scope up the food into the containers they provide...   in China and HK there are no longer plastic bags.

Foods like salad that has dressing on it cannot be kept, it must be eaten or thrown out!   There are certain foods like salad that the waiters won’t recommend to be put into a container to be taken....  The salad one was in Sydney with a group of colleagues where they salad came very late!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

”we” as in the boss and I from time to time but that’s usually stuff that can be kept for a little while or can be refrigerated.   Everytime we have asked they’ll give you containers unless you are in China, and everytime they will hand over the container but won’t get involved handling the food!   I don’t thing any restaurants will actually scope up the food into the containers they provide..

as per my earlier post, a few local ones i have encoutered, usually family run businsesses will scoup up  and pack for you. As mentioned in some cases we have been asked outright, would you like us to pack that away for you and they take plates out back to pack away and come back with take away containers in bags.

 

3 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

There are certain foods like salad that the waiters won’t recommend to be put into a container to be taken....  The salad one was in Sydney with a group of colleagues where they salad came very late!   

 

indeed we have only ever been refused once on the doggy bag.. take away... and that was only on grounds the particular dish wouldnt really do well for take away... which we understood...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the food gets served on that table,  I personally prefer to do it myself.  Never let a waiter handle the food the 2nd time, it’s like I never complain about a dish if I didn’t like it and I think that the cook hasn’t done there job!   I never return food back to the kitchen, if I didn’t like it, I’d just leave it there to be binned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

looks like byo keep cups are an issue...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coffee-chain-reveals-banning-reusable-cups-024247327.html

 

and I am not suprised ! 

 

when I was given one... its something i wondered. once drink the coffee the keep cup it sits in the sun and heat of the car.... ideal breading ground for germs and its plastic and rubber with a lot of crevasses for bugs to grow...

 

I cant literally just take it to a coffee shop. could wash it in a washroom or something before taking it for a refill but its not like there are really any decent washing facilities with scrubbing and detergent it would need to remove any bugs starting to grow on it. 

 

bugs in milk can kill you ! 

 

anyways I dont take mine when going off travelling in my car or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, :) al said:

cups

Image result for DIRTY MUG MEME

 

:blink:

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2018 at 2:20 PM, :) al said:

 

looks like byo keep cups are an issue...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coffee-chain-reveals-banning-reusable-cups-024247327.html

 

and I am not suprised ! 

 

when I was given one... its something i wondered. once drink the coffee the keep cup it sits in the sun and heat of the car.... ideal breading ground for germs and its plastic and rubber with a lot of crevasses for bugs to grow...

 

I cant literally just take it to a coffee shop. could wash it in a washroom or something before taking it for a refill but its not like there are really any decent washing facilities with scrubbing and detergent it would need to remove any bugs starting to grow on it. 

 

bugs in milk can kill you ! 

 

anyways I dont take mine when going off travelling in my car or anything. 

I make our daily coffee before work and if my wife is leaving early in goes in a keeper cup... but we put them through the dishwasher after each use. Our dentist had heaps of promotional ones made up so we now have about 4-5 sitting in the cupboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's a keeper cup Neal? I think I know, I might be driving my truck each morning with one(when I actually go to work 😖). Is it like a mini Thermos flask but a largish cup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


34 minutes ago, Luc said:

What's a keeper cup Neal? I think I know, I might be driving my truck each morning with one(when I actually go to work 😖). Is it like a mini Thermos flask but a largish cup?

416845720_fs_1.jpg

 

More like a reusable plastic mug, better than paper cups

Edited by blybo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, blybo said:

better than paper cups

... if cleaned. :P

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JSmith said:

... if cleaned. :P

 

JSmith :ninja:

 

50 minutes ago, blybo said:

I make our daily coffee before work and if my wife is leaving early in goes in a keeper cup... but we put them through the dishwasher after each use. Our dentist had heaps of promotional ones made up so we now have about 4-5 sitting in the cupboard.

Nuf said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Neal.

I've seen the occasional one here in the boonies but sadly, we like most people everywhere just order/drink/dispose of responsibly(we hope) and that's an end to it. Totally wrong of course and the cups contain too much plastic to be reliably recycled.  

 

This is my driving/fishing cup which is nearly always full of a single or a blend of Yirgacheffe beans poured forth from a machine that a few of us here on tight restrictive budgets use

(not like that spendthrift @joz or that louche bean user @djb and his comrade in excess. @buddyev) and to good results, plus it hangs on my steering wheel without interupting anything except a 180.

Boil a jug, preheat the receptacle and then brew your muck and then empty the receptacle of hot water and pour in your double/triple shot(big mugs these) and texture yer milk source of choice(Skim in my case..yes I know) and away you go.

Good for 4 hours minimum and at 4 hours as you sip it's like that moment in your early morning cafe and your sweating in your lycra and hanging out for yer hit after doing the hard yards thru the gears up hill and down dale and ...it just takes bloody ages to get yer cup! @buzz lightyear

image.png.51287e3219e63aaae2268083a498ac26.png

 

Will handle a fall too...trust me, and I don't own a bike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


dishwasher is good blybo.

 

@Luc we got gifted the glass variety of these keep cup things. note lid is still plastic where any bugs are likely to grow in the crevasses and what not. 

 

 

KCBCESP12.jpg

 

$32 dollars the things wow for the little one ! 

 

yours looks the real deal....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@:) al Built tough Al.

Mine looks nothing like that pic..lol, as it's hit the deck heaps and there aint much bark left on it but still goes through the dishwasher fine,it's still good for four hours of hot home brewed coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blybo said:

Nuf said

Blybo, I obviously read that before mate... was referring to Al's post about dirty cups. :rolleyes:

 

Who's Nuf? :blink:

 

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JSmith said:

Image result for DIRTY MUG MEME

 

:blink:

 

JSmith :ninja:

 

I learn along time ago,  I never accept a cup of coffee from anyone unless I made it myself.    Especially from clients! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Luc said:

@:) al Built tough Al.

Mine looks nothing like that pic..lol, as it's hit the deck heaps and there aint much bark left on it but still goes through the dishwasher fine,it's still good for four hours of hot home brewed coffee.

I took the glass one ONCE with me in the car on my wifes suggestion....bloody disaster the thing was.

 

the shape of it is such its a bit top heavy and rolls around like a nine pin :D had coffee leaking all over the place !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luc said:

I've seen the occasional one here in the boonies but sadly, we like most people everywhere just order/drink/dispose of responsibly(we hope) and that's an end to it. Totally wrong of course and the cups contain too much plastic to be reliably recycled.

how the worm has turned... 10 years ago, we had someone at a large corporate I work for put up a chart in the tea coffee nook on how much better it was to use ceramic cup vs disposable cup

 

our environmental guru at the company sniggered when he saw it, as as much as he liked the passion he wasnt so sure. below is the quandary back then....

 

http://www.greenlifestylemag.com.au/features/1017/disposable-coffee-cups-vs-ceramic-mugs

 

all that energy to make the ceramic cup and then the energy to wash with hot water, detergent etc. vs a simple disposable cup

 

problem is we never quite recycled that disposable cup did we. not sure what the thoughts of the environmental gurus though are today.

 

thats said Id rather not my paper/plastic cup end up in poor sea creatures who cant make difference between it and something they should eat ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, :) al said:

I took the glass one ONCE with me in the car on my wifes suggestion....bloody disaster the thing was.

 

the shape of it is such its a bit top heavy and rolls around like a nine pin :D had coffee leaking all over the place !

That's the ridiculous thing isn't it. The damn things are designed back to front. They should be fat on the bottom (like me) and thin on the top(like me as well as it turns out...) and then they'd be stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luc said:

That's the ridiculous thing isn't it. The damn things are designed back to front. They should be fat on the bottom (like me) and thin on the top(like me as well as it turns out...) and then they'd be stable.

you can imagine the look on my face when going around a corner and the thing rolls out the cup holder and rolling around the passenger foot well drizzling coffee around as its rolling around and around in circles :D 

 

had to pull over and do a bit of a mop up ! 

 

ps this was on first turn from my place about 0.5km down road so didnt get very far, decided to gulp what was left in the coffee before heading off again rather that take any more chances ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Been there done that but thankfully only in my truck so that doesn't matter(32years old and never cleaned or washed inside or out😀)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Runaway go to a different restaurant next time - we went out last night ourselves and I couldn't finish a delicious curry so they were happy to bring a container.

They left me to scoop it in which I didn't mind - when you think about you have purchased the meal outright I feel so any leftovers should be yours to keep.

 

Wise wife just said standard protocol is to give you container to fill yourself thus absolving them from any repercussions.

 

Next time play safe and go where they're less difficult! [emoji4]

 

 

Edited by evil c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Runaway
47 minutes ago, evil c said:

@Runaway go to a different restaurant next time - we went out last night ourselves and I couldn't finish a delicious curry so they were happy to bring a container.

They left me to scoop it in which I didn't mind - when you think about you have purchased the meal outright I feel so any leftovers should be yours to keep.

 

Wise wife just said standard protocol is to give you container to fill yourself thus absolving them from any repercussions.

 

Next time play safe and go where they're less difficult! emoji4.png

 

 

Soooo...next time I go to one of your get together and ask for a doggy bag, you are not going to toss me out?  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soooo...next time I go to one of your get together and ask for a doggy bag, you are not going to toss me out?  [emoji14]
No one's ever asked - probably too afraid they'll never return! [emoji53]
Plus with gluttons like@joz etc. never much left! [emoji6]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Runaway said:

Soooo...next time I go to one of your get together and ask for a doggy bag, you are not going to toss me out?  :P

 

heres a response prepared earlier.... :D 

 

^#^*@( $$!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...