Sign in to follow this  
Guest Runaway

To doggy bag or not to doggy bag

Guest Runaway

Last night, I was eating out with my wife and daughter at a nice restaurant in Glen Waverley.  We were sharing 2 main dishes and 1 medium size dish - a a Linguini Pescatore, a Bouillabaisse and a cheese Mac Cauliflower (the last was a bit of a mistake - we thought it was cheese baked cauliflower but it was more macaroni than cauliflower).  We found that we could not finish all the food and decided to take the linguini away.  When we asked for a doggy bag, there was a bit of hesitation and we were told that the restaurant was not licensed to allow takeaway.  My wife offered to go out and buy a plastic box to take the food away.  The staff was quite nice about it but was clearly not comfortable with the idea.  In the end, we did not want to cause any trouble for the restaurant and decided to eat as much as we can and not take it away.

We have taken away food before without any issue and my wife loves leftover for lunch the next day (I’m more of a prude).  I was quite surprised that there is a licensing issues I looked it up.  This is what I found:

There’s currently no law in Australia that would prevent restaurants from offering their customers take-away containers for leftover food.

According to each state’s food board, it’s actually up to the restaurant, but they do recommend erring on the side of caution. These authorities suggest that the containers be dated and the customer is given instructions on how to safely store and reheat the food. Some restaurants are taking this advice a step further and asking those who wish to take home leftovers to sign a legal waiver.

(https://www.foodsafety.com.au/blog/are-restaurant-doggy-bags-legal)

I can understand concerns on the part of the restaurant that they be found liable for food poisoning from spoilt food which are out of their control.  On the other hand, it can be difficult to judge the amount of food being ordered and it seems a waste of good food not to take the excess away.  Ironically, there’s movement in France to require doggy bags https://www.thelocal.fr/20180405/are-compulsory-doggy-bags-on-their-way-for-french-restaurants

‘What do others think?

I dont have a dog!

Guest Sime

Do it all the time at the Chinese place we go. 

there is far too much wastage in the world. id rather a doggy bag than it goes in the bin. we some times over order especially with kids. so just ask for a plastic bin we pack the food into happy to do ourselves. some places themselves will ask if they can pack away for us. even before we ask. some places will pack for you when you suggest the doggie bag again without asking them to do. 

some restaurants clearly more conducive. 

I have had once only ever where have asked to take away an item and they have said we dont do it take away as it would be ruined if taken so. ie get all soggy and such. which makes sense. otherwise we have never had an issue. 

am pretty sure from a food safety point of view they cant be held responsible for what happens with the food later when comes to storage or handling of it. out of tier hands literally. if there was food poisoning any limited investigation would show this. 

Guest Muon N'

Doggy Bags :)

man-with-giant-dog-tote-bag-new-york-subway-1a.jpg.20b4198f6ecb1334db06b1b19c46d1a8.jpgman-with-giant-dog-tote-bag-new-york-subway-60.jpg.0bc39ee688fa2f4ae1487e7e28243a01.jpg

1 hour ago, :) al said:

am pretty sure from a food safety point of view they cant be held responsible for what happens with the food later when comes to storage or handling of it. out of tier hands literally. if there was food poisoning any limited investigation would show this. 

Nope, the restaurant is responsible just like they would be if they provided a take away meal... this is why the restaurant in question was hesitant.

As per the OP's post;

These authorities suggest that the containers be dated and the customer is given instructions on how to safely store and reheat the food. Some restaurants are taking this advice a step further and asking those who wish to take home leftovers to sign a legal waiver.

JSmith :ninja:

Image result for doggy bag meme

Image result for doggy bag meme

:lol:

Guest Runaway

@:) al agree that some simple question would absolve the restaurant from responsibility (“how long was that food left in your fridge?”) but even any hint of issues with a restaurant may affect business in this highly competitive area.  We certainly had a slightly different perspective on our favourite Japanese restaurant after learning they were investigated for cleanliness issues.

It does call into question the whole area of takeaways which many restaurants, even high end ones, offer.  How are they not concerned about that?  One restaurant we tried has a strange practice - they will not start cooking until you arrive at the restaurant to pay for the takeaway - even after we called up. And no, they would not take credit card over the phone.  They said that some customer would order, turn up really late and then complain that the food is soggy or cold.  

Will be interesting to hear from those in the restaurant trade.

When we still had our restaurant we would put stickers on the Doggie Bag /T/A container.

"NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!"

The  customer could do with that what they wanted.

I'm paying for it, if I want to take it with me it's mine. Whether the restaurant helps or not is up to them. I've only been refused once.

https://www.foodsafety.com.au/blog/are-restaurant-doggy-bags-legal

just remember if you get sick and they investigate and you tell them you ate food from restaurant XXX.   Restaurant XXX will be under the Local Health Dept that will have a field day!   Hence the reason why certain restaurants will be hesitant or make you signed a waiver.   It’s like what said in  @JSmith post.

On ‎8‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, GregWormald said:

I'm paying for it, if I want to take it with me it's mine. Whether the restaurant helps or not is up to them. I've only been refused once.

All good, just bring your own container. :)

As per the link above;

Although some restaurants may be reluctant to provide take-away boxes, consumers in Australia are legally permitted to doggy-bag their own meals if they're willing to run the risk of food poisoning.

JSmith :ninja:

3 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

https://www.foodsafety.com.au/blog/are-restaurant-doggy-bags-legal

just remember if you get sick and they investigate and you tell them you ate food from restaurant XXX.   Restaurant XXX will be under the Local Health Dept that will have a field day!   Hence the reason why certain restaurants will be hesitant or make you signed a waiver.   It’s like what said in  @JSmith post.

ive worked in the food industry many years, of my working life, well versed in food safety and had to do wth local health department (which is actually a food safety inspector from local council if unawares) the checks are pretty lax and pretty rudimentary. the industries i have worked in have had far more stringent rules than take away businesses ( I know since most sites I've worked on also have had a take away canteen - that comes under the jurisdiction of local council food safety requirements) 

firstly when people get sick most dont even report. and worst case go to hospital it would have to be pretty serious for an investigation. an investigation would be two ways from the person taking away ... and the restaurant in question. and it wouldnt just cover the take away as much as going to basics of food preparation, storage of food and ingredients, serving etc. but its all quite routine what they woudl be used to with their regular inspection. the people involved arent dumb either will involve people with good understanding of micro biology and food safety. I know of a case for instance of the famous springvale pork rolls that people died from. there were two issues here...poor methods at the shop and then the issue of people taking the rolls and storing them. we still have people taking pork rolls away day in day out today. it was just a case of shops cleaning up their act more than anything. ie proper storage temps for hot meats vs cold meats, salads etc at the servers . thats it.

we are getting a more litigious community. but the link posted gives me no alarm bells that anything has changed, infact it points just to the possible issues taking care and that is all quite legal. if people want to take nanny state line but it isnt necessary. 

18 minutes ago, JSmith said:

that is register for nsw. its actually not a heck of a lot if you consider just how many food serving organisations there are out there. many are repeats see previous warnings... 

have you clicked on any of these to have a look at details ? they arent investigations of food poisoning from doggy bags ! 

what you are looking at is actually not unusual. its usually following inspections, food safety audits, follow up on previous audits...pretty routine... a lot of dodgy operators out there. most of them are base food safety issues. failure to follow food handling code.... washing hands, pests, cleanliness blah blah... you have to be pretty bad to get these.

not a sudden outbreak of dodgy bag or anything. :D

On 08/05/2018 at 2:36 PM, Muon N' said:

Doggy Bags :)

man-with-giant-dog-tote-bag-new-york-subway-60.jpg.0bc39ee688fa2f4ae1487e7e28243a01.jpg

Off subject but when I saw a sign in Kyoto  "No  dogs - unless they fit inside a bag" that the first thing I thought  of.?

47 minutes ago, :) al said:

that is register for nsw.

Sure, but I mean every listing for the week is in Sydney.

A friend of mine runs a small restaurant that also does takeaway, delivery etc. They get regular inspections as do all the local places... and they're not so nice about it. They usually give them an opportunity to rectify the problem of course... some are very minor, but I guess are there for a reason.

JSmith :ninja:

5 minutes ago, JSmith said:

ure, but I mean every listing for the week is in Sydney.

many re repeats and for same org. a lot of them quite basic. sydney is huge in no of take aways restaurants. likely i would suggest the ones in more regional areas have less problems with. more regular operators, lot closer to local council etc.

did you look at them though ? they all deserve it ! i wouldnt buy anything from them let alone doggy bags :D

6 minutes ago, JSmith said:

A friend of mine runs a small restaurant that also does takeaway, delivery etc. They get regular inspections as do all the local places... and they're not so nice about it. They usually give them an opportunity to rectify the problem of course... some are very minor, but I guess are there for a reason.

I hope they are regular inspected. I wouldnt expect any less.  you can kill someone as has been shown. and often its some very small basic things which people seem to struggle to grasp. I guess anyone can start a take away. thats the problem.

depends who get as auditor, if have done auditing as a job, its pretty mundane and can be pretty boring... it wears thin after a while, especially if its constantly asking people over and over for same basic stuff.   so yeah probably rubs off on their personality.  some i can imagine not very nice about it. l've met all sorts in food safety auditors. if you think the ones looking at take aways and restaurants are strict, you should see the ones looking at far higher risk operations ! 

and yes all very much for a reason :) and indeed they do give them opportunity to rectify.

personally i wish they were stricter on these operations. but its a hierarchy of risk

We asked for doggy bags all the time and never been refused. Generally the restaurants give plastic containers free of charge (and the nice ones even give a small plastic carry bag too) and in most cases we pack them ourselves. In some cases there is a small charge of 50 cents for a container. The worst encounter was an Italian restaurant when we want to take some leftover pasta home. They did said they don't encourage doggy bags and gave us some al foils to wrap them up in (yuck!). 

I don't ever recall a restaurant that give explicit instructions to customers on storage, handling and reheating doggy bag food. Only one that had clearly seen instructions for their take-away food customers. 

We need the government to license the ordering of doggy bags and take-away. Just prove that you understand the laws of food handling and storage, pay the fee, and then you get immediate service by showing your license. Simple, yes?

2 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

We need the government to license the ordering of doggy bags and take-away. Just prove that you understand the laws of food handling and storage, pay the fee, and then you get immediate service by showing your license. Simple, yes?

greg that would be like telling people they cant cook at home or take food on picnics unless they pass a test.... 

theres extremes to nanny state...

ps a good reason to not doggy bag... or any take away for that reason... we have enough waste enough... see article below, venice bans new take aways.,... note this isnt about doggy bags but about take away industry instead... which generates a lot of waste that ends up in the streets ...

http://www.traveller.com.au/italy-venice-bans-new-takeaways-to-stop-snacking-tourists-h0zvix

we have a serial mcdonalds dumper outside our street. always mcdonalds drink cups, chips, burger and wraps and bags and such over night.

rather than no doggy bags... id prefer a law ... yes we doggy bag... but you bring your own recycled containers.... 

7 minutes ago, :) al said:

<snips>greg that would be like telling people they cant cook at home or take food on picnics unless they pass a test.... 

theres extremes to nanny state...

I think some cooking (home or otherwise) deserves to be subject to criminal charges. 

and I'm not sure how I feel about healthy food being an "extreme".?

If yer asking for doggy bags then your not seriously hungry.

My advice: Get an appetite or enquire as your ordering(Is the serving a big one, is it a large plate? Etc.)

Never ever had the thought that because I paid for a meal I deserve a bag to take the leftovers home  but I've never left anything on my plate.

Actually I lie.

The only thing I've ever left on a plate is a knife/fork/spoon/chopsticks/water splashes from cleaning my fingers after eating weird stuff while seated on floor in a damned hippie vegan place and you used your fingers communally in a humongous bowl of something.

Check yer appetite with the menu prior to ordering. Did this last Sat evening gone in high rated restaurant in Carlton. Asked the size of portions and would they mind us sharing entrees/mids/mains and desert?(really expensive place hence the double joy of being able to share)  Happy to do so and empty plates were the order of the night.

4 minutes ago, Luc said:

If yer asking for doggy bags then your not seriously hungry.

My advice: Get an appetite or enquire as your ordering(Is the serving a big one, is it a large plate? Etc.)

Never ever had the thought that because I paid for a meal I deserve a bag to take the leftovers home  but I've never left anything on my plate.

Actually I lie.

The only thing I've ever left on a plate is a knife/fork/spoon/chopsticks/water splashes from cleaning my fingers after eating weird stuff while seated on floor in a damned hippie vegan place and you used your fingers communally in a humongous bowl of something.

Check yer appetite with the menu prior to ordering. Did this last Sat evening gone in high rated restaurant in Carlton. Asked the size of portions and would they mind us sharing entrees/mids/mains and desert?(really expensive place hence the double joy of being able to share)  Happy to do so and empty plates were the order of the night.

I never get to this stage, when I go out to eat,  the servings are never big enough.

... does anyone actually ask for a "doggy bag", as opposed to a take away container? :unsure:

Yeah, I would usually eat all my food or wouldn't be concerned about wasting a small portion.