Streaming using chromecast

I asked this question a few months ago, was considering the Chromecast Ultra into my DAC using HDMI but didn't get any response. Are you thinking of using the Chromecast Audio for its optical output?

Drew

• 2 weeks later...

I use one sometime in my car with digital input into my processor. I also think its average, but not terrible.

I am looking for a device that does bluetooth/wifi and anyone can connect to and play any format from any device. Fun for parties etc.

@amdan i had one for a few months when first came out and loved it - a cheap way to get your tunes to amp. Ive got tidal hifi and just ran the rca’s and it was fine. Its $60 or so.

when i could afford it i got a bluesound node, its better in every way (obviously)

for the price, i say go for it unless you think you’d upgrade in a few months, then its a waste of money - not much resale.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
Darko has some details on how to improve the sound quality of the Chromecast audio

https://darko.audio/2018/07/letters-to-the-editor-3-ways-to-juice-your-chromecast-audio/

I’m trying the Roon update to work with Chromecast. It’s a bit buggy for me so far. My iOS app keeps crashing when I go to the Roon settings for audio. When I use PC version, it will find my google home, but clicking enable doesn’t do anything.

But I’m sure it will be resolved. And I think it will be a great thing. I’m especially interested in the Chromecast ultra sending album art. I could maybe zone it with my ultraRendu where it does the sound and the CCA does image. [emoji106]

2 hours ago, Raffinator said:

I’m trying the Roon update to work with Chromecast. It’s a bit buggy for me so far. My iOS app keeps crashing when I go to the Roon settings for audio. When I use PC version, it will find my google home, but clicking enable doesn’t do anything.

But I’m sure it will be resolved. And I think it will be a great thing. I’m especially interested in the Chromecast ultra sending album art. I could maybe zone it with my ultraRendu where it does the sound and the CCA does image. emoji106.png

Roon has updated. Now streaming 44.1k FLAC file to Google Home. Will try Chromecast Ultra and Chromecast Audio soon.

Link to article explaining more. https://darko.audio/2018/07/googles-chromecast-audio-is-now-a-roon-endpoint/

Edited by Raffinator

• 1 month later...

I've used the Chromecast Audio using a mini toslink to toslonk connected to a NAD M51 ---> ME gear. Sounds great.

I used the power pack from the Chromecast Ultra that has an ethernet port so it does not have to  rely on wifi.

You could also use the UGREEN Ethernet USB Adapter Micro USB to RJ45 Network Adaptor Fr Chromecast 1,2

I use a Samsung Tab A with HiFiCast +DLNA app and cast to the Chromecast or to Bose 535 or Soundtouch 30/20/10 ..or bluetooth to UE Megabooms for outside...( $2.49, probably the best $2.49 I've ever spent especially on an app ) playing FLAC from a NAS.

Unfortunately HiFiCast app only works with android at this stage.

Edited by DTW