Sign in to follow this  
minivan

SOLD: fs: Benchmark S500 Speakers (melb)

Item: Benchmark S500 Speakers

Price:$300

Item Condition:8/10

Reason for selling: No Longer Needed

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only

Extra Info:  bought from  George Setcher, (Setcher Audio Camberwell)  in the early 90's..

Grilles in good conditon,dimension of speaker: 90cmx30cmx35cm, few very light scratch mark on speaker, overall very good condition

Pictures:

IMG_20180507_170004.thumb.jpg.f68345a20839b08f837f39135a8a49b5.jpg

IMG_20180507_170016.thumb.jpg.d5046e53a502273deb506846ec6b649e.jpg

IMG_20180507_170028.thumb.jpg.ef363059153c963c32cde92fbafb652b.jpg

IMG_20180507_170040.thumb.jpg.a0db6f39c52a69252e0cd5d87800c18a.jpgIMG_20180507_170105.thumb.jpg.8afc08e11db52f16a90595701d1755e6.jpg

IMG_20180507_170129.thumb.jpg.21a91ee6eb3ba7668a4776491df866b7.jpg

IMG_20180507_170133.thumb.jpg.5d32ec15df253d404eeb997a6a01832c.jpg

Edited by minivan

pM sent....

good score Mat, would loved to have upgraded my S300 to these!

Is one tweeter Kevlar & the other one Titanium?

27 minutes ago, bvuka2013 said:

Is one tweeter Kevlar & the other one Titanium?

Yeah I’m waiting for a reply on that.  One looks like the Kevlar in my Osborn’s.  Not sure about the other.....

Nice speakers,designed and built by Colin Whatmough ,similar to the 202 but a floor stander for extra bass.

I'm biased because I worked on these speakers with Colin and we thought they came up really well for their price at the time.

I liked to tease people with a comment that they were actually a 3-way, though obviously only 2 drivers. That's because the bass/mid is dual voicecoil and the number of "ways" relates to the crossover, not number of drivers.

This model is also better than you might imagine from their "old fashioned" appearance in that the cabinet walls are 25mm thick, so quite rigid and heavy.

Whoever buys them will be getting an absolute bargain by today's standards, as long as they can match the tweeters.

I might be able to help with that. I definitely have NOS titanium, not so sure about kevlar.

GLWTS

George

I'm biased because I worked on these speakers with Colin and we thought they came up really well for their price at the time.
I liked to tease people with a comment that they were actually a 3-way, though obviously only 2 drivers. That's because the bass/mid is dual voicecoil and the number of "ways" relates to the crossover, not number of drivers.
This model is also better than you might imagine from their "old fashioned" appearance in that the cabinet walls are 25mm thick, so quite rigid and heavy.
Whoever buys them will be getting an absolute bargain by today's standards, as long as they can match the tweeters.
I might be able to help with that. I definitely have NOS titanium, not so sure about kevlar.
GLWTS
George

which would be better?

This model originally came with Kevlar tweeters, which have a bit more bite and contrasted the bass/mid's slight warmth, while the Titanium tweeters are a bit more resolved.

We used the Titaniums on a dearer model which replaced this bass/mid with polyglass.

My personal preference would be Titanium.

I have a pair of the S600s with the same silver dome tweeters  but with the 10” Focal polyglass bass drivers, similar to the Whatmough 202i Leadlines

Your S-600s have the larger 120mmFocal titanium tweeter and 8" Focal polyglass bass/mid, whereas the S-500s originally came with the smaller 90mm kevlar tweeter.

One of these has been replaced with a 90mm titanium tweeter, fitting the same baffle cutout.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Audionerd said:

Your S-600s have the larger 120mmFocal titanium tweeter and 8" Focal polyglass bass/mid, whereas the S-500s originally came with the smaller 90mm kevlar tweeter.

One of these has been replaced with a 90mm titanium tweeter, fitting the same baffle cutout.

Yes correction, my S600s have 8" Focal Polyglass drivers...

Still available? Can pick up today.

Still available? Can pick up today.

I’ve picked them up already. sorry.

Thanks . In case you don't like them....

29 minutes ago, misternavi said:

Great score!

What are you going to do about the tweeters?

Audionerd may have some NOS Focal replacements

@bvuka2013 waiting for a post mothers day cooling off period before I bring them home to listen. Currently sitting at work in storage.
I will look at getting one or the other Focal tweeter to match speakers. I'll decide once i listen to these in a week or 2. I think the Kevlar tweeter is cheaper.

I'm pretty sure that's a t92?? tweeter. .. and I do know someone who might have one if intetested

4 hours ago, misternavi said:
[mention=142267]bvuka2013[/mention] waiting for a post mothers day cooling off period before I bring them home to listen. Currently sitting at work in storage.
I will look at getting one or the other Focal tweeter to match speakers. I'll decide once i listen to these in a week or 2. I think the Kevlar tweeter is cheaper.

Edited by Snapper()