In praise of box sets

A enjoyable listening session this morning has prompted this post.  I just played a box set of Berlioz' Romeo et Juliette (Lorin Maazel) recorded by Decca (a label that seldom disappoints).   The thing is that so many secondhand box sets like this one, contain pristine records.   Previous owners treasure them and play them carefully - and not too often.

I have many many box sets purchased cheaply at charity sales and nearly all are in superb condition and great quality.  To mention a couple, I have a complete set of Wagner's Ring Cycle,  World record club label (by Decca) that is impressive in this same way.  Another one I picked up and enjoy greatly is Sheffield Lab's "The Moscow Sessions".   Not one of their direct to disc recordings - it was recorded on tape, but it shows that careful and thoughtful engineering can result in a great recording as well.  

Even some Reader's Digest box sets can be worth buying, but these need to checked carefully as some owners did abuse them.

• Like 1

Erased Tapes - "1+1+X". Celebrating 10 years of the Erased Tapes record label, this box set was released as an edition of only 1000 copies for RSD 2018. Featuring unreleased and specially commissioned songs from the Erased Tapes artist lineup, on three clear vinyl LPs. So happy to have snagged a copy.

_MH16751.jpg

_MH16752.jpg

_MH16753.jpg

_MH16754.jpg

_MH16755.jpg

_MH16756.jpg

_MH16758.jpg

_MH16759.jpg

_MH16760.jpg

_MH16761.jpg

_MH16762.jpg

• Like 1

I've noticed that boxed classical sets are invariably in good condition.  I think that speaks about the personality of classical listeners, and the way classical music is often listened to - as a serious listening session, not as party records.  I've picked up a few World Record Club boxes, all good value for little money. 

16 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I've noticed that boxed classical sets are invariably in good condition.  I think that speaks about the personality of classical listeners, and the way classical music is often listened to - as a serious listening session, not as party records.  I've picked up a few World Record Club boxes, all good value for little money. 

WRC are pretty much invariably good stuff.  They come from good sources such as Decca - one of my favourite labels.

Lot's of classical box sets are only 2 or 3 records as well.  Just one Opera for example.  So, I think people sit down to have a serious listen to the performance piece.   Bigger sets tend to be collections of one composer or conductor, and sometimes you find one or two records get played more than others - whatever the owner like best - and the rest are truly near mint.  In the big Ring Cycle set I have, I am certain some of the discs had NEVER been played at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

WRC are pretty much invariably good stuff.  They come from good sources such as Decca - one of my favourite labels...

I used to (ignorantly) dismiss them as being not good quality.  Not only did they release Decca, but many major and influential European labels.  Many of these labels were not distributed in Australia because of the restrictive import limitations (under "copyright" of all arguments), and the small Australian market.  They also released a lot of music which had specialized and limited markets.  Not only were they pressed in the major Australian pressing plants, they were pressed in limited quantities from new stampers.  Not to forget the innovative and bold cover designs used for many of them (forgetting the generic design used for many).  And now they can be found for $1 in op shops. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New Order - "Music Complete" Boxset - "8 piece deluxe vinyl collection. Album on double clear vinyl. Extended versions of all 11 tracks on 6 pieces of vinyl.Coloured vinyl 12”s plus 1 sided black etched vinyl. Packaged in an archival acid free box, using 1300 micron grey white board and a wire stitch. Box is debossed on the lid and base."

_MH17047.jpg

_MH17049.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

_MH17063.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Not the world's biggest fan of U2, but the 7LP box set of The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary release last year was just something I couldn't afford to miss out on. It truly is a stunning boxset:-

_MH17099.jpg

_MH17098.jpg

_MH17100.jpg

_MH17101.jpg

_MH17102.jpg

_MH17103.jpg

_MH17104.jpg

_MH17105.jpg

_MH17106.jpg

_MH17107.jpg

_MH17108.jpg

_MH17109.jpg

_MH17110.jpg

_MH17111.jpg

_MH17112.jpg

_MH17113.jpg

_MH17114.jpg

_MH17115.jpg

_MH17116.jpg

_MH17117.jpg

_MH17118.jpg

Stretching over 7 lp’s ?  ??

my favourite U2 album, but don’t have this

i must say this and the new order box sets looking amazing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

Not the world's biggest fan of U2, but the 7LP box set of The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary release last year was just something I couldn't afford to miss out on. It truly is a stunning boxset:-

_MH17099.jpg

_MH17098.jpg

_MH17100.jpg

_MH17101.jpg

_MH17102.jpg

_MH17103.jpg

_MH17104.jpg

_MH17105.jpg

_MH17106.jpg

_MH17107.jpg

_MH17108.jpg

_MH17109.jpg

_MH17110.jpg

_MH17111.jpg

_MH17112.jpg

_MH17113.jpg

_MH17114.jpg

_MH17115.jpg

_MH17116.jpg

_MH17117.jpg

_MH17118.jpg

Is that really how you look after records - on top of each other with no protection?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Is that really how you look after records - on top of each other with no protection?

I'm VERY careful @metal beat with placement for the pics. Besides, all photos taken before the records are cleaned on an RCM and a KLAudio US machine.

27 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I'm VERY careful @metal beat with placement for the pics. Besides, all photos taken before the records are cleaned on an RCM and a KLAudio US machine.

good to hear.  nude records lying on top of each other make me nervous. :ohmy:

the only nudes I am comfortable seeing are females. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a box set per se, but I've been after this limited edition (500 units) for years and finally landed an immaculate one for a very reasonable price.

Gavin Friday "Catholic" - Limited Edition 3xLP (coloured vinyl representing Irish national flag). Limited release of 500 copies, including an 8-page booklet. Inside cover of booklet signed and hand-numbered.

_MH17443.jpg

_MH17444.jpg

_MH17446.jpg

_MH17447.jpg

_MH17449.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Not a box set per se, but I've been after this limited edition (500 units) for years and finally landed an immaculate one for a very reasonable price.

Gavin Friday "Catholic" - Limited Edition 3xLP (coloured vinyl representing Irish national flag). Limited release of 500 copies, including an 8-page booklet. Inside cover of booklet signed and hand-numbered.

_MH17443.jpg

_MH17444.jpg

_MH17446.jpg

_MH17447.jpg

_MH17449.jpg

What a lovely presentation.   Classy.

• Like 1

Some boxed sets are designed as such from the off but I also have collections where the box was issued later than the individual discs. The box of Beethoven quartets from Quartetto Italiano for instance, I’d bought the three discs of early quartets before finding the box of all of them and the discs in the box are noticably less vibrant sounding than the same discs issued individually.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
14 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Incidentally, @Marc this thread may be better served if moved into the Music, Musician and bands sub-forum?

Not necessarily. We are talking boxed LP sets aren't we? Not boxed CD sets (but no reason it shouldn't, I suppose?).....and you can't get boxed FLAC.?

I have three boxed sets of LP's, two of which are from Devo.

Recombo DNA:

https://www.fiveriserecords.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Devo-RDNA-Emergency-Codes.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Devo-Recombo-DNA/release/10728407

E-Z Listing Musak (Muzak versions of Devo songs), admittedly, I don't play this one much!?:

http://exclaim.ca/images/muzakdevo.jpg

and this 7LP (84 song) $10 Op Shop score, all discs NM:

https://img.discogs.com/U7DBy1eF2Ldwmpxgcb7q9bMJJTk=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-5422874-1435310745-3390.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Solid-Gold-2/release/5422874

If CD sets are included (ok, maybe move the thread then.?), this little beauty......Kansas Classic Albums Collection 1974-1983 10 album set, with a bonus "Two For The Show" live disc, which is probably better than the first disc (which was the original LP of TFTS). All discs come in mini LP covers:

https://img.discogs.com/nZ7og3RVDQ1fkQSw_j0ElOb9saw=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-3687952-1340550738-7131.jpeg.jpghttps://http2.mlstatic.com/kansas-the-classic-albums-collection-1974-1983-D_NQ_NP_983801-MLM28158466619_092018-F.jpg

Boxed sets are indeed great!?

Edited by stevoz