A enjoyable listening session this morning has prompted this post.  I just played a box set of Berlioz' Romeo et Juliette (Lorin Maazel) recorded by Decca (a label that seldom disappoints).   The thing is that so many secondhand box sets like this one, contain pristine records.   Previous owners treasure them and play them carefully - and not too often.

I have many many box sets purchased cheaply at charity sales and nearly all are in superb condition and great quality.  To mention a couple, I have a complete set of Wagner's Ring Cycle,  World record club label (by Decca) that is impressive in this same way.  Another one I picked up and enjoy greatly is Sheffield Lab's "The Moscow Sessions".   Not one of their direct to disc recordings - it was recorded on tape, but it shows that careful and thoughtful engineering can result in a great recording as well.  

Even some Reader's Digest box sets can be worth buying, but these need to checked carefully as some owners did abuse them.

Erased Tapes - "1+1+X". Celebrating 10 years of the Erased Tapes record label, this box set was released as an edition of only 1000 copies for RSD 2018. Featuring unreleased and specially commissioned songs from the Erased Tapes artist lineup, on three clear vinyl LPs. So happy to have snagged a copy.

_MH16751.jpg

_MH16752.jpg

_MH16753.jpg

_MH16754.jpg

_MH16755.jpg

_MH16756.jpg

_MH16758.jpg

_MH16759.jpg

_MH16760.jpg

_MH16761.jpg

_MH16762.jpg

• Like 1

I've noticed that boxed classical sets are invariably in good condition.  I think that speaks about the personality of classical listeners, and the way classical music is often listened to - as a serious listening session, not as party records.  I've picked up a few World Record Club boxes, all good value for little money. 

16 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I've noticed that boxed classical sets are invariably in good condition.  I think that speaks about the personality of classical listeners, and the way classical music is often listened to - as a serious listening session, not as party records.  I've picked up a few World Record Club boxes, all good value for little money. 

WRC are pretty much invariably good stuff.  They come from good sources such as Decca - one of my favourite labels.

Lot's of classical box sets are only 2 or 3 records as well.  Just one Opera for example.  So, I think people sit down to have a serious listen to the performance piece.   Bigger sets tend to be collections of one composer or conductor, and sometimes you find one or two records get played more than others - whatever the owner like best - and the rest are truly near mint.  In the big Ring Cycle set I have, I am certain some of the discs had NEVER been played at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

WRC are pretty much invariably good stuff.  They come from good sources such as Decca - one of my favourite labels...

I used to (ignorantly) dismiss them as being not good quality.  Not only did they release Decca, but many major and influential European labels.  Many of these labels were not distributed in Australia because of the restrictive import limitations (under "copyright" of all arguments), and the small Australian market.  They also released a lot of music which had specialized and limited markets.  Not only were they pressed in the major Australian pressing plants, they were pressed in limited quantities from new stampers.  Not to forget the innovative and bold cover designs used for many of them (forgetting the generic design used for many).  And now they can be found for $1 in op shops. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

New Order - "Music Complete" Boxset - "8 piece deluxe vinyl collection. Album on double clear vinyl. Extended versions of all 11 tracks on 6 pieces of vinyl.Coloured vinyl 12”s plus 1 sided black etched vinyl. Packaged in an archival acid free box, using 1300 micron grey white board and a wire stitch. Box is debossed on the lid and base."

_MH17047.jpg

_MH17049.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

_MH17063.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Not the world's biggest fan of U2, but the 7LP box set of The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary release last year was just something I couldn't afford to miss out on. It truly is a stunning boxset:-

_MH17099.jpg

_MH17098.jpg

_MH17100.jpg

_MH17101.jpg

_MH17102.jpg

_MH17103.jpg

_MH17104.jpg

_MH17105.jpg

_MH17106.jpg

_MH17107.jpg

_MH17108.jpg

_MH17109.jpg

_MH17110.jpg

_MH17111.jpg

_MH17112.jpg

_MH17113.jpg

_MH17114.jpg

_MH17115.jpg

_MH17116.jpg

_MH17117.jpg

_MH17118.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Not the world's biggest fan of U2, but the 7LP box set of The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary release last year was just something I couldn't afford to miss out on. It truly is a stunning boxset:-

_MH17099.jpg

_MH17098.jpg

_MH17100.jpg

_MH17101.jpg

_MH17102.jpg

_MH17103.jpg

_MH17104.jpg

_MH17105.jpg

_MH17106.jpg

_MH17107.jpg

_MH17108.jpg

_MH17109.jpg

_MH17110.jpg

_MH17111.jpg

_MH17112.jpg

_MH17113.jpg

_MH17114.jpg

_MH17115.jpg

_MH17116.jpg

_MH17117.jpg

_MH17118.jpg

Stretching over 7 lp’s ?  😲😲

my favourite U2 album, but don’t have this

i must say this and the new order box sets looking amazing 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

_MH17099.jpg

_MH17098.jpg

_MH17100.jpg

_MH17101.jpg

_MH17102.jpg

_MH17103.jpg

_MH17104.jpg

_MH17105.jpg

_MH17106.jpg

_MH17107.jpg

_MH17108.jpg

_MH17109.jpg

_MH17110.jpg

_MH17111.jpg

_MH17112.jpg

_MH17113.jpg

_MH17114.jpg

_MH17115.jpg

_MH17116.jpg

_MH17117.jpg

_MH17118.jpg

Is that really how you look after records - on top of each other with no protection?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Is that really how you look after records - on top of each other with no protection?

I'm VERY careful @metal beat with placement for the pics. Besides, all photos taken before the records are cleaned on an RCM and a KLAudio US machine.

27 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I'm VERY careful @metal beat with placement for the pics. Besides, all photos taken before the records are cleaned on an RCM and a KLAudio US machine.

good to hear.  nude records lying on top of each other make me nervous. :ohmy:

the only nudes I am comfortable seeing are females. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a box set per se, but I've been after this limited edition (500 units) for years and finally landed an immaculate one for a very reasonable price.

Gavin Friday "Catholic" - Limited Edition 3xLP (coloured vinyl representing Irish national flag). Limited release of 500 copies, including an 8-page booklet. Inside cover of booklet signed and hand-numbered.

_MH17443.jpg

_MH17444.jpg

_MH17446.jpg

_MH17447.jpg

_MH17449.jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Not a box set per se, but I've been after this limited edition (500 units) for years and finally landed an immaculate one for a very reasonable price.

Gavin Friday "Catholic" - Limited Edition 3xLP (coloured vinyl representing Irish national flag). Limited release of 500 copies, including an 8-page booklet. Inside cover of booklet signed and hand-numbered.

_MH17443.jpg

_MH17444.jpg

_MH17446.jpg

_MH17447.jpg

_MH17449.jpg

What a lovely presentation.   Classy.

• Like 1

Some boxed sets are designed as such from the off but I also have collections where the box was issued later than the individual discs. The box of Beethoven quartets from Quartetto Italiano for instance, I’d bought the three discs of early quartets before finding the box of all of them and the discs in the box are noticably less vibrant sounding than the same discs issued individually.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Various Artists - "WXAXRXP Sessions"

A 10 x 12" bohemoth box set!!

Incidentally, @Marc this thread may be better served if moved into the Music, Musician and bands sub-forum??

_MH19826.jpg

_MH19827.jpg

_MH19828.jpg

_MH19829.jpg

_MH19830.jpg

_MH19831.jpg

_MH19834.jpg

_MH19832.jpg

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Incidentally, @Marc this thread may be better served if moved into the Music, Musician and bands sub-forum?

Not necessarily. We are talking boxed LP sets aren't we? Not boxed CD sets (but no reason it shouldn't, I suppose👍).....and you can't get boxed FLAC.😂

I have three boxed sets of LP's, two of which are from Devo.

Recombo DNA:

https://www.fiveriserecords.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Devo-RDNA-Emergency-Codes.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Devo-Recombo-DNA/release/10728407

E-Z Listing Musak (Muzak versions of Devo songs), admittedly, I don't play this one much!😆:

http://exclaim.ca/images/muzakdevo.jpg

and this 7LP (84 song) $10 Op Shop score, all discs NM:

https://img.discogs.com/U7DBy1eF2Ldwmpxgcb7q9bMJJTk=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-5422874-1435310745-3390.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Solid-Gold-2/release/5422874

If CD sets are included (ok, maybe move the thread then.😉), this little beauty......Kansas Classic Albums Collection 1974-1983 10 album set, with a bonus "Two For The Show" live disc, which is probably better than the first disc (which was the original LP of TFTS). All discs come in mini LP covers:

https://img.discogs.com/nZ7og3RVDQ1fkQSw_j0ElOb9saw=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-3687952-1340550738-7131.jpeg.jpghttps://http2.mlstatic.com/kansas-the-classic-albums-collection-1974-1983-D_NQ_NP_983801-MLM28158466619_092018-F.jpg

Boxed sets are indeed great!👍

Edited by stevoz
7 hours ago, stevoz said:

and this 7LP (84 song) $10 Op Shop score, all discs NM:

https://img.discogs.com/U7DBy1eF2Ldwmpxgcb7q9bMJJTk=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-5422874-1435310745-3390.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Solid-Gold-2/release/5422874

👍

Ha!

I remember this! I bought this back in 1984 and it was a cracker of a compilation.

Damn you I'm off to Discogs.

edit: dammit none available. Want to make a tidy profit on yours? :)

Edited by TDK
  • Like 1

aussivintage,

at the end of the 80s' it was the classical crowd who were the first to ditch vinyl which I thought was crazy as classical was pressed on virgin vinyl and the boxed sets always came with full size booklets and in sturdy boxes. Often the cardboard sleeves of 'pop' music just came apart, not to mention the vinyl waswarped as well

I used to go car booting every Saturday and Sunday morning and you could nearly always find whole classical collections were tossed out. Many of these collections came from people who had died and the inheritors just tipped them up at the car boot sales. I never paid more than £2 per box set, in fact all my classical music came from car booting. So unpopular was classical at this time that a friend of mine who had a s/hand vinyl shop was selling excellent classical @ 5 per £1. This way I acquired NM boxed sets of Mahler/Bruckner/Sibelius and so many more.

Quite by chance a few years ago there was a 'marche de jardin' happening just down the road and as always there was a small 'puces'/flea section. As I strolled around I saw some cardboard boxes with boxed sets in them. I saw straight away that the boxes were completely undamaged/mint - one set was a Decca 6LPs of Mozart by two famous musicians from 1975 - they had never been played, value about £250, another was a Decca recording - Barber of Seville from 1964, Mint and another was a European pressing from the early 1970s' again Mint.

I

7 hours ago, Southerly said:

aussivintage,

at the end of the 80s' it was the classical crowd who were the first to ditch vinyl which I thought was crazy as classical was pressed on virgin vinyl and the boxed sets always came with full size booklets and in sturdy boxes. Often the cardboard sleeves of 'pop' music just came apart, not to mention the vinyl waswarped as well

Yes, I have a healthy collection of just such excellently preserved classical sets myself.  Good value today still.

9 hours ago, Southerly said:

The problem with classical music on records as compared to rock, pop etc and would have been a reason that classical music listeners were amongst the first to move to cds was that a full piece of classical music , a symphony, an opera, anything more than one movement really has an interruption when the record comes to an end. With classical this can be an unwelcome, jarring experience that removes you from being immersed in a piece and having to return to the mundane real world of changing sides. Rock music though, especially pre cd days would use this to an advantage. The epic track towards the end of side 1 for example that had you itching to get up to play side 2. Side 2 would start with something special to draw you in all over again and the full album would become almost 2 entities. 4 in the days of double albums that were intended as such rather than the modern habit of having double albums just because modern recordings are 70 minutes rather than the 40 they used to be.

In other words cds were perfect for listeners of classical music as finally they could hear a full piece as intended without any long breaks, just the planned small breathing space between movements where you can have a cough and a sniff.

As an aside, the removal of time constraints on pop/rock albums when cds came in destroyed the art of track selection and the flow of a record. You would still start and end with a bang but so often I found tracks mired in the middle of a cd- tracks 4,5,6 and 7 for example were often filler, the kind of stuff that would have been b-sides in the past. Or they went on far too long. 6 and 7 minutes used to be an epic track but it became something with multiple repeats of chorus, elongated and pointless noodling by the drummer in the middle and often faded out rather than came to a close as you could tell the band had lost interested and didn't know where to go with the song so it just petered out feebly.

Edited by Hergest
  • Love 1

Hergest,

a valid point but no way would a CD  even begin to match the quality reproduction of the vinyl. Secondly it is so easy to scratch a CD and naff it. I use a Kenwood KD/KP  t/t that has end-of-side arm lift and motor turn-off, almost impossible to scratch a side. Plus many who have invested serious money in CDs have found that many CDs have become unplayable. When I lived in Spain I bought a lot of bootlegs sold by West Africans that would visit the bars. One was a compilation of Madonna tracks. Apart from one really weird track it's the best dance music I have, I should have got a copy made straight away - so it goes.

It's nice to sit back and read the copious information supplied with these boxed sets, now compare that with the midget notes supplied, if at all in a CD jewel case (does anyone know how this ridiculous name came to be?) - you'll need a magnifying glass to do so.

As a footnote - if I had known back at the end of the 80s into the 90s that one day I would have a 3-in-1 package from a French telecoms company that included for free, access to Stingray Brava/Classical and Mezzo music channels that open up the whole world of classical and Jazz music I wouldn't have bought a single piece of classical vinyl. I get to listen and see the very best orchestras/conductors and music venues from the present day and back into the 60s. It's 24/7 and a good reason to turn off the crap on the TV.

If you are into classical and Jazz or want to explore these genre then you will not regret paying for access.

• 7 months later...

Depeche Mode - "Violator - the 12" Singles"

So happy to have snagged a copy of this (at a great price). I have most of these 12" as UK first presses but a couple of the special editions eluded me over the years (as I switched to CD copies).

My second favourite album of all time.

_AUG0066.thumb.jpg.2e5e6381d602178e1c948e9f5d4883e6.jpg

_AUG0062.thumb.jpg.ef02aaa48603e5313b8411e45c127f8d.jpg

_AUG0065.thumb.jpg.211c5719f4e1fd2181e4511e957e2002.jpg

_AUG0067.thumb.jpg.f11245204f75bd37d235edc2899af207.jpg

_AUG0068.thumb.jpg.4dde6f886d5def4681fbcad533aa8447.jpg

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Depeche Mode - "Violator - the 12" Singles"

So happy to have snagged a copy of this (at a great price). I have most of these 12" as UK first presses but a couple of the special editions eluded me over the years (as I switched to CD copies).

My second favourite album of all time.

_AUG0066.thumb.jpg.2e5e6381d602178e1c948e9f5d4883e6.jpg

_AUG0062.thumb.jpg.ef02aaa48603e5313b8411e45c127f8d.jpg

_AUG0065.thumb.jpg.211c5719f4e1fd2181e4511e957e2002.jpg

_AUG0067.thumb.jpg.f11245204f75bd37d235edc2899af207.jpg

_AUG0068.thumb.jpg.4dde6f886d5def4681fbcad533aa8447.jpg

I would luv that, however prices are OTT.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I would luv that, however prices are OTT.

Managed to get a copy via sanity.com.au for $189 shipped.

7 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Managed to get a copy via sanity.com.au for $189 shipped.

extremely good price - no longer available.

How are the pressings?

Stunning!

A lot of work has gone into these. 

Cannot wait for the Songs of Faith and Devotion one to come out now!

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/08/2020 at 6:22 PM, Hydrology said:

Stunning!

A lot of work has gone into these. 

Cannot wait for the Songs of Faith and Devotion one to come out now!

I found a copy for $208.  Just need to receive it in a week or two. 👍

• Like 1