DarkNark

Recommendations for a soldering station

On 29/05/2018 at 8:09 PM, DarkNark said:

So my latest, is some XLR cables. The soldering station has pretty much paid itself off. Followed these directions. xlr-interconnect

IMG_7297.JPG

Cables look great.  Well done 👍

5 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

Cables look great.  Well done 👍

Thanks Bill. I appreciate that.

Can you share with me how you solder RCA cables? 

I’ll pm you my mobile no mate

On 29/05/2018 at 10:35 PM, Addicted to music said:

Correct,

when you combine 2 metals it becomes an alloy,  the resistance increases,  throw in  a 3rd metal regardless if its pure silver increases the resistance expodentially.  Not only that you also need to increase the heat settings for it to work. Stick to dual metals like 40/60.  

Did you make a typo? 60/40 is generally used in electronics, 40/60 has a much higher melting point and used for sheet metal work and plumbing etc.

On 10/01/2019 at 2:59 PM, bob_m_54 said:

Did you make a typo? 60/40 is generally used in electronics, 40/60 has a much higher melting point and used for sheet metal work and plumbing etc.

I stand corrected.....  😣   Yes a typo, when you quote someone without thinking!  You are correct.

On 09/01/2019 at 12:48 PM, DarkNark said:

I have some RCA cables that I want to make. Just wondering if anyone has some guidance for what RCA connector to use. I will be using Mogami 2549 cable. I was just going to use Neutrik 373's.

So I ended up making my RCA cables. I used Mogami 2549 and the Neutrik 373's. When the Nuetriks came they where in a bag marked "Rean", which I believe is Nuetriks' budget version. It was pointed out to me that these are the same RCA's on my Rega Planer 3. So should be ok.

I had a bit of trouble with the RCA connectors. The Mogami 2549 has an OD of 6mm. The Nuetric/Rean 373's reportedly take a cable  of 3.5 - 6.1 mm. Should be ok right? Nope, not me anyway. The soldering went well but trying to screw the body onto the plug was a struggle. Kept trying to cross thread. Don't get me wrong It could be done, but it was a lot harder than it needed to be. I think next time I will pick connectors with a little more leeway. 

IMG_8928.thumb.JPG.26e82b7b1cbb1db561da57ea16f5d6cd.JPG