DarkNark

Recommendations for a soldering station

Hi

Looking to have a go at making myself some speaker cables and interconnects.

Any recommendations for a soldering station would be appreciated. Budget $200 max.

Also if you have any ideas of "must have" items, like special clampy hand thingies, or tip cleaning paste etc please let me know.

Thanks

Dave

No need to spend a fortune. Even quite inexpensive soldering irons are pretty decent. Everyone will tell you to buy a Hakko (I have one), but you really don't need to spend that much, unless you use it professionally. My main iron is a beautiful ERSA (German made), but my job site iron is a Jaycar one. An older version of this model:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/40w-temperature-controlled-soldering-station/p/TS1620

It's excellent and reasonably durable. Best of all, there are a wide range of different tips, for different types of work. 

If you really want a very nice iron, Goot (funny name) build very good products, at great prices:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/esd-safe-goot-temperature-controlled-soldering-station-w-digital-display/p/TS1440

I have a Goot very happy with it.

It's really just for the name.?

Edited by BATMAQN

Purchased a TS100 recently, worth reading about them online. 
Design is very different to old-school soldering stations, but for the price ($70 shipped) it's unbeatable value.

Heats in seconds, you just need a simple laptop power supply.
Will need a few weeks/months to give a full opinion. 

Think goot. Jaycar has a base goot station which is very good and not expensive. 

groot_cover1-9649.jpeg

Thank you all, for your assistance.

I had a look in Jaycar tonight. I had a look at all the soldering stations that they had in the store and ended up purchasing the Goot RX-711 that @Zaphod Beeblebrox linked to. Even on sale, it was a little over my budget but with the Goot brand having 3 mentions in the thread I figured I probably can't go too far wrong.

I also bought some flux while I was there. Can't have too much flux I suppose.

Do I need to get something to remove flux residue? Or is it not really needed? I have contact cleaner. I am not sure if that will suffice.

Edited by DarkNark
spelling

6 hours ago, DarkNark said:

Thank you all, for your assistance.

I had a look in Jaycar tonight. I had a look at all the soldering stations that they had in the store and ended up purchasing the Goot RX-711 that @Zaphod Beeblebrox linked to. Even on sale, it was a little over my budget but with the Goot brand having 3 mentions in the thread I figured I probably can't go too far wrong.

I also bought some flux while I was there. Can't have too much flux I suppose.

Do I need to get something to remove flux residue? Or is it not really needed? I have contact cleaner. I am not sure if that will suffice.

You don't need flux. The flux is already inside the solder. The best solder (IMO) is Ersin Multicore Savbit. If your flux is acid flux, throw it away NOW! Do not, EVER, use it for electronic work. 

Flux is good for re-work, I use it a lot at work for just that, clean with IPA unless it is water based then it is non- clean flux.

12 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

You don't need flux. The flux is already inside the solder. The best solder (IMO) is Ersin Multicore Savbit. If your flux is acid flux, throw it away NOW! Do not, EVER, use it for electronic work. 

Thanks for the tips and the advice on the flux and solder. I'll look into the solder.

11 hours ago, Batty said:

Flux is good for re-work, I use it a lot at work for just that, clean with IPA unless it is water based then it is non- clean flux.

This has been my experience when making repairs in less than ideal conditions, ie not everything is nice, shiny and new.

Thanks for the advice on the flux cleaning, it's appreciated.