So, from the 'metadata documentation on the Naim support section-

Please Note:
• Only ripped CDs, or CDs imported from a previous Naim server that have been ripped, can be edited. • Music content in the Downloads Folder cannot be edited so the option will not be available. • ‘Artist Name’ cannot not be changed globally, only on a per CD basis.

So there you go, this beast is mainly for CD ripping but I must admit, I would have thought it would also be geared for the download crowd in this day and age. I guess there's a saying about assuming...

All OK though, was originally intending to get CD's anyhow to retain a hard copy so all good, CD's on Amazon cost as much as downloads now anyhow.

Might still play with some of the above suggested metadata management tools as well as hooking up the Meridian to Ethernet again and seeing how ROON performs in this new setting.

Back under the house again!!

18 minutes ago, awayward said:

@Darren69 what file format did you download?

@darren69 This is a really good question. I don't want to get into the format wars, but I use flac as is the easiest IMO to deal with metadata and it does not take a lot of space.  Digressing, I actually had every file in 3 formats, being aiff, flac and mp3. Flac as main, aiff because I am on Apple and MP3 for the kids the car etc. Nowadays I just have it in flac and I convert to something else when necessary.

Storage now is cheap and many people swears by WAV. I am behind with the latest news/technology re WAV, but IMO it takes to much space and metadata was too hard.

Check out what you can do with dbpoweramp. The cost for the full version is a bargain. 

On 26/05/2018 at 4:04 PM, Darren69 said:

Have just ripped the first CD, Icehouse- Man of colours. Thought it was only right to do that, it is my first ever CD. :) 

Fantastic album that Daz !!

The only issue I have with it is the SQ ain't so great with the CD I have... :( 

Definitely going to be one for the upcoming vinyl shopping list for me !!! :yes:

@Jventer @awayward have chosen FLAC over WAV due to the popular advice from here on SNA from yourselves and others, was interesting the Naim suggested WAV as the best sounding when I was choosing but also advises that FLAC doesn't use as much space.

All good now, I have made peace with the process and all is going swimmingly again, I had to remind myself that I was always going to keep CD backup somewhere and this thing really sings when it comes to ripping, labelling and storing data from a ripped CD.

Have played with back up and also restoring from backup to the machines drive and it all talks to each other just fine.

56 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Fantastic album that Daz !!

The only issue I have with it is the SQ ain't so great with the CD I have... :( 

Definitely going to be one for the upcoming vinyl shopping list for me !!! :yes:

I have always thought the CD sounded great but I have come to the conclusion that I really don't have audiophile ears, I have to say. Which I don't mind, really. :) 

I use bliss to correct errors in my music library. Very happy with it, but internet based so pretty slow with our crappy adsl

Posted (edited)
On 27/05/2018 at 11:38 AM, Darren69 said:

I fixed it, you just take the Core out, pull out the HDD an check it, put it back in, hook it up again and presto, everything is back.

Except now the network backup has disappeared.

So check all connections at the back of the unit and the network switch, restart the modem, ah all good, back again. Back in business, back ripping again.

Saying computer audio is convenient is like bragging about how warm you are in your hair shirt. Hahaa!

Ain't nothin convenient about PC audio.   Just when it is flying you walk out the room and when you come back, something has turned to shite.

i access my CAPS pc, which is headless, via Remote Desktop from my main pc.   

One day it just stopped working.   Took me hours to realise some gremlin from the ether had unticked a box that make the two talk.    Ghosts in the Machine messing with my mind.

still better than LP's .................runs and ducks for cover. 😝

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman

Don't want to hex myself but this thing is singing when it comes to ripping CD's. If they cant find the cover, you can select edit metadata and go to Discogs and copy one or even take a picky and attach that if you want, am up to F for Foo Fighters.

Do a dozen or so, hit backup and walk away. Worth every cent for ripping.

Dazza, you've got such a sweet cdp, sounds like such a hassle to me, but..........:)

I download in WAV, burn to cdr & play in the cdp. Fcuk the metadata!

Now , that was a helpful post, eh ;)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mikey d said:

Dazza, you've got such a sweet cdp, sounds like such a hassle to me, but..........:)

I download in WAV, burn to cdr & play in the cdp. Fcuk the metadata!

Now , that was a helpful post, eh ;)

Bloody useless post Mikey 🙂

Metadata is crucial for server stored music, computers are dumb things really and don’t know what’s what unless you tell it. Although the lastest AI development will change everything in the next 10 years.

But I like your simplistic view to achieve the same result. 👍

Edited by awayward

Posted (edited)

I did wonder if that would work as the Uniti Core would see it as a CD rip.

I ripped a few burnt CD's today and they ripped the same as an original.

Edited by Darren69

Posted (edited)

Well, slowly, slowly, slowly...

I have found I can download an album from Zdigital in FLAC, burn it to a CD-RW using Express Burn and then load it into the Naim and it sees the album, gets the album art, labels the songs, rips, everything good.

Strangely (hence the slowly slowly intro) the Naim found an error in the middle of the middle track (Flash of the blade).

So, am getting progress but slowly and as the price of actual CD's continue to drop, I think they will still be the choice of source as there are never errors found on a plain old CD unless it's been marked etc.

But will keep experimenting, is very interesting.

I imagine any albums that are in a decent format in Bandcamp would be the same, though their older albums seem to be a bit hit and miss, Powerslave on Bandcamp was only accessible as one single file (no song labelling etc).

Edited by Darren69

37 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Well, slowly, slowly, slowly...

I have found I can download an album from Zdigital in FLAC, burn it to a CD-RW using Express Burn and then load it into the Naim and it sees the album, gets the album art, labels the songs, rips, everything good.

Strangely (hence the slowly slowly intro) the Naim found an error in the middle of the middle track (Flash of the blade).

So, am getting progress but slowly and as the price of actual CD's continue to drop, I think they will still be the choice of source as there are never errors found on a plain old CD unless it's been marked etc.

But will keep experimenting, is very interesting.

I imagine any albums that are in a decent format in Bandcamp would be the same, though their older albums seem to be a bit hit and miss, Powerslave on Bandcamp was only accessible as one single file (no song labelling etc).

Daz the one file flac should/might have a cue file associated which contains all the individual track information, if so Google will explain how to create individual tracks,  another piece of software for you, isn’t CA great.

This worked.

Converted the existing files inc the 'error' file from FLAC to WAV using Switch Sound File Converter (free).

Cleared the CD-RW and burnt the new WAV files to the CD

CD went into the Naim and all ripped to FLAC files flawlessly, labelled, all good and can edit if I want.

Will be interesting to see if any files downloaded with WAV (Bandcamp) will rip easier.

Thanks to @Janjuc and @Satanica for pointing me towards those sites, other options are always good. I think those along with Amazon Aus should have me more than covered.

Well, all set up and running, my Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus BNC-RCA IC showed up yesterday from the old dart. Hooked it up to the Meridians dac and away we went.

I thought it only right to send my first CD through, erm, first.

Man Of Colours by icehouse, sounded superb. Don't know if it's in my head or not but I do think there is a bit of SQ improvement vs spinning a CD.

Currently 'spinning' Chelsea Wolfe's 'Abyss', just gorgeous life affirming stuff.

Am using the Naim app and I find it very easy to use. One thing that caught me out as opposed to stuff I am used to. Standby is set to 30 mins but it will do that if you are using it or not, haha, so I set it to 'never' and just switch it off when finished, no biggie.

Am very happy with another little step upwards. :)

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to assist the luddite, I owe a lot of beers by now, thank you very much everyone who commented/advised. It is much appreciated.

Somehow the unit knows when a CD is a themed/gapless recording as it rips it that way/plays back that way. Apparently this isn't always the case.

Yes it is and no doubt if I persevere we will get there but maybe my ranting and whining might assist someone who finds this thread in two or three years time, perhaps.

Very helpful @Darren69.  This Uniti Core seems like a well thought out product and software. Nothing’s perfect but this one appears not too bad for a technology challenged person like me. 

5 hours ago, frankn said:

Yes it is and no doubt if I persevere we will get there but maybe my ranting and whining might assist someone who finds this thread in two or three years time, perhaps.

Very helpful @Darren69.  This Uniti Core seems like a well thought out product and software. Nothing’s perfect but this one appears not too bad for a technology challenged person like me. 

For ripping CD's it is fantastic, it doesn't have the flexibility of editing anything if you load an album via USB. I am currently downloading albums to my computer, copying in FLAC to a CD-RW and then ripping, works a treat. Or simply buying cheap CD's and rip.