Naim Uniti Core

WELL,

have sourced a Uniti Core, it is yet to be paid for and sent but thought I would start a new thread for anyone interested.

This is the start of a whole new thang, a tidy up of the house in general and initial planning of some renovations. I think I will continue to buy CD's and rip, I like the idea of owning the hard copy but who knows what might change in time.

Will be revisiting the 'Good NAS' thread that I started for a refresher when purchasing the back up for the Naim.

I will also probably order a new Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus BNC to RCA IC as I have not heard better. The Core will fit in my current shelving, probably on top of the Isotek Aquarius and everything will be hard wired with Ethernet cabling.

So there. :D 

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-core

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Very happy you went this way Daz. I read a while back about the effort they put into this. Have heard a few of the new Naim gear and it really is incredible.

Being upnp I am guessing you should be able to stream Tidal and the likes to it via Bubbleupnp???
I will be seriously considering Naim's new streamers when the are released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Very happy you went this way Daz. I read a while back about the effort they put into this. Have heard a few of the new Naim gear and it really is incredible.

Being upnp I am guessing you should be able to stream Tidal and the likes to it via Bubbleupnp???
I will be seriously considering Naim's new streamers when the are released.

Hullo brother Dan, hope all is going well for you mate, I have not studied the capabilities of UPnP just yet, maybe a weekend job.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has arrived and a gorgeous bit of kit it is too. Very very nice.

Hewn from solid metal by the feel of it, will put some piccies up, maybe over the weekend, now to sort cables and the NAS.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 09/05/2018 at 5:26 PM, Bunno77 said:

Have heard a few of the new Naim gear and it really is incredible.

Yeah certainly is great stuff. If it had not been for continual delays with the Uniti Star last year, I may have bought that instead of the Moon Neo Ace.

• Like 1

@darren69

Sometimes SNA gives me the shits. I tried sending you a PM and then it tells me you cant receive it.

Anyway.

You dont need a NAS first up.

The core can take up to a 8TB hard drive.  So all you have to day is to put isn say a 4TB hard drive and rip your CD's.

If and when you run out of space on that hard drive you need to worry about NAS etc.

All organised mate, need back up! Will be interesting to set up.

Ordered one NAS with a pair of Red Pro HDD backing each other up and one Red Pro HDD for the internal memory-

AC07604 - Synology DS718+ 2 Bay NAS + 2x WD WD40EFRX 4TB Red NAS HDD      
AB51412 - WD WD40EFRX 4TB Red 3.5" IntelliPower SATA3 NAS Hard Drive
  • Like 1

Well I'm going good, everything hooked up, Uniti Core sees it's internal storage, the network sees the Uniti Core and the NAS but somehow, when setting up the backup, the Core does not see the NAS. Will persevere. It took a while for the Core to se it's internal storage.

Tomorrow.

Have just ripped the first CD, Icehouse- Man of colours. Thought it was only right to do that, it is my first ever CD. :) 

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3

Hey Daz, I’ve used the previous naim unityserv for a few years now. I believe it was based on windows software and gets pretty hot. It’s started to have an occasional glitch recently but it’s performed pretty reliably over the period.

I understand the new core is completely changed. I hope it works well for you. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hullo @jt301 , haven't seen you in ages.

Yes I have it all singing right now, well not actually singing but working well, have set up the NAS, it is ripping to a 4TB internal HDD Red Pro and backing up weekly to the NAS running two 4TB HDD Red Pros running Raid 1. The Naim app is excellent but at some stage I will play around with Naim vs Roon by hooking the Meridian (Roon end point) up to the NAS...I think...

To literally make it sing, via the Naim app, I will need to get the interconnect to hook it up to the Meridian but we are slowly eating the elephant, one bite at a time.

Will have to buy a new Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus BNC to RCA IC to hook them up, none of the buggers I sold my old ones to will sell them back to me, thy like them too much. :D 

The ripping process id very easy.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to control through the Surface Pro as the naim app is IoS only so will need to get a base model Ipad for that. Am thinking new, second hand could be more trouble than it's worth. At the moment am controlling through the phone but don't want to do that forever.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Well I'm going good, everything hooked up, Uniti Core sees it's internal storage, the network sees the Uniti Core and the NAS but somehow, when setting up the backup, the Core does not see the NAS. Will persevere. It took a while for the Core to se it's internal storage.

Tomorrow.

Have just ripped the first CD, Icehouse- Man of colours. Thought it was only right to do that, it is my first ever CD. :) 

No way!!!!! That was the first album I bought with my own money. That and Slippery When Wet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

No way!!!!! That was the first album I bought with my own money. That and Slippery When Wet.

You must be younger than me, the first album I bought was a tape. :D

1982 With A Bullet. Purchased with my pocket money.

I bought heaps of tapes before CD came out, Man Of Colours was the first CD I ever got, this new fangled amazing thing. :) 

So I ripped 32 yesterday arvo/night, all faultlessly except a few songs, re ripped and got the green tick, everything was working awesome.

Switched the unit off, get up this morning, do a few jobs and decide to start ripping again, tells me it cant because the internal storage either doesn't exist or is full, still see's the backup NAS, no longer sees it's own internal HDD. Therefore also tells me there are no albums to access.

Switched it off/on again, turned off at wall and tried again, reset, did all sorts of stuff, still does not recognise it's own internal HDD.

Freaking grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this is why I have been avoiding this computer stuff. Nothing convenient about it in any way, shape or form. Ah well, keep fiddling until I fix it but it's gonna be fun if this is the case every time I want to access the ripped music.

I fixed it, you just take the Core out, pull out the HDD an check it, put it back in, hook it up again and presto, everything is back.

Except now the network backup has disappeared.

So check all connections at the back of the unit and the network switch, restart the modem, ah all good, back again. Back in business, back ripping again.

Saying computer audio is convenient is like bragging about how warm you are in your hair shirt. Hahaa!

• Like 1

OK, got an album from Bandcamp yestie, downloaded to a USB and imported it into the Core from the thumb drive, no problems.

Opened the music collection, the album was shown there twice, cant be deleted and unlike the ripped CD's, metadata cannot be edited.

Today, got two more albums, came home, imported them the same, both albums saved under one album which is called 'unknown' and again, cant be edited and yesterdays album has disappeared entirely, haha.

Back to buying and ripping CD's, it is easier and they don't disappear.

Interesting Daz. The convenience only comes after you’ve gone through this pain. It’s all a learning experience.

How are you editing the metadata? Are you using a Naim app or other Naim software?

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

OK, got an album from Bandcamp yestie, downloaded to a USB and imported it into the Core from the thumb drive, no problems.

Opened the music collection, the album was shown there twice, cant be deleted and unlike the ripped CD's, metadata cannot be edited.

Today, got two more albums, came home, imported them the same, both albums saved under one album which is called 'unknown' and again, cant be edited and yesterdays album has disappeared entirely, haha.

Back to buying and ripping CD's, it is easier and they don't disappear.

@darren69

It is all about the metadata

And most of us into ripped music/computer based music have this issue. 

There are many tools to resolve this. 

Have no idea re the Naim products. In general if you google or search here you will find possible solutions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jt301 said:

Interesting Daz. The convenience only comes after you’ve gone through this pain. It’s all a learning experience.

How are you editing the metadata? Are you using a Naim app or other Naim software?

Yes it is and no doubt if I persevere we will get there but maybe my ranting and whining might assist someone who finds this thread in two or three years time, perhaps.

I am editing using the Naim app which works really good for editing the metadata of ripped CD's, cant be happier. But downloads, no go, no editing of metadata and they go into the database quite haphazardly and may or may not appear next time I look, haha.

I have also tried logging into the NAS and seeing if I can edit the downloads in there and then backup to the Naim but no success as of yet.

9 hours ago, Jventer said:

Have no idea re the Naim products. In general if you google or search here you will find possible solutions.

Thanks mate, there is a whole forum that exists and you can spend half a day there reading about peoples issues that are sort of 75% like the ones I am experiencing, haha.

Edited by Darren69