42 minutes ago, zippi said:

Regurgitator

Tool

Rage against the machine

Kamasi Washington

Thundercat

Kendrick Lamar

off the top of my head...

Thundercat is actually the name for American bass guitarist Stephen Bruder (unless there is a band of the same name).

Saw him at Womadelaide, he was pretty good.

• Like 1

Hi all

Who do you believe is the best band of the last 25 odd years?

just has to be a band whose first album was from 1990.

Vote away - no right or wrong answers, just opinions

Excellent thread idea!
Pearl Jam
I really dig Gomez too
  • Like 2

I'd have to go;

Nirvana

Greenday

... even though Nirvana formed in 1987 and released their first album in 1989, the one that made them most famous was of course Nevermind in 1991.

... and Greenday formed in 1986, but their first majorly successful album was Dookie in 1994 (3 not so) then American Idiot etc.

JSmith :ninja:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, metal beat said:

Who do you believe is the best band of the last 25 odd years?

Your choice, so you define   - just has to be a band whose first album was from 1990.

Define - "best". What is the criteria that makes one band "better" than another?

All good. I really think the question should be what is your "favorite" band of the last 25 years. then everyone is right. ?

• Like 1

Define - "best". What is the criteria that makes one band "better" than another?
All good. I really think the question should be what is your "favorite" band of the last 25 years. then everyone is right. [emoji106]
A few years back i would have said Wilco hands down but i reckon they have gone off the boil last couple of albums.
Tool great of course but a bit one dimensional.
True Ryan Adams isnt a band so lets say Whiskeytown and whatever else the lead singer has done [emoji16]
Pearl Jam and Soundgarden thereabouts
Ok.....

Powderfinger for best Aus band

And Radiohead is my choice overall. For longevity and quality and the creativity.
  • Like 1

Ben Folds Five - closely followed by Ben Folds solo efforts after the band disbanded.

However, I'm a bit of a Ben Folds fanboi so it's not terribly surprising.

2nd place goes to Radiohead. Found them via OK Computer and Amnesiac when I was working in Brasil in early 2000's.

• Like 1

Can I add the 3rd best? - The Whitlams. Great Aussie band. Seen them a couple of times live and love their integration with SSO (and other orchestras) - rounds out their sound nicely.

14 hours ago, crisis said:

All good. I really think the question should be what is your "favorite" band of the last 25 years. then everyone is right. ?

can you not read?     Frankly I do not give a what you think my thread should be.  If you have no intention of joinng in on the fun, go elsewhere.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

for me it's definitely radiohead.

before them they were many that started in the 80's....

massive attack would be 2nd, then the national

if you include ones that started after the 90's, i would include iceage

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, analog brother said:

for me it's definitely radiohead.

before them they were many that started in the 80's, but 90's, there's only one for me.

Most of my fav bands started in the 80's as well.  It's our age James.

But this thread is the 90's.  Not sure who I would pick if it was from 2000. Another thread I guess.

U coming to BJM?

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

Wilco. Perhaps tarnished by the last couple of albums, but besides Belle & Sebastian, can't think of another band with such a strong catalogue of releases. Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and A Ghost Is Born are all 5 star albums for mine.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 2

I'm lucky I posted early with an escape clause.  After some noodling time I would like to place Radiohead at number one also.  As mentioned above, for consistency and quality.

Edit - I have never seen them live.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2

Too out of touch with rock n roll bands now have an opinion on the best since 1990

but my favourite band is Halfway 

they are the best country rock band I know of since The Flying Burritos The Byrds and the first 2 Eagles and Grateful Dead records since the late 60’s Early 70’s

I think Melbourne band Dick Diver are a great band but after 3 records I think they have packed it in so a bit too soon to know how great they are and likewise with a few Americana bands who are only a few records in

there are a lot of bands I read about and sometimes listen on utube but they are several steps removed from fame or popularity 

sadly

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soundfan said:

Wilco. Perhaps tarnished by the last couple of albums, but besides Belle & Sebastian, can't think of another band with such a strong catalogue of releases. Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and A Ghost Is Born are all 5 star albums for mine.

Totally agree. Wonderful albums. For me I would throw Sky Blue Sky in that lot as well. I saw them a few times over that period and it was pretty special. 

• Like 1

I think this is will be a great thread to pick up some new artists.  Already there are some here that I have not heard, Wilco and Belle & Sebastion for example.  Ryan Adams has been recommended to me previously, and I am still to check him out.

I will be looking for names I don't know that continue to pop up on this thread.

I think this is will be a great thread to pick up some new artists.  Already there are some here that I have not heard, Wilco and Belle & Sebastion for example.  Ryan Adams has been recommended to me previously, and I am still to check him out.
I will be looking for names I don't know that continue to pop up on this thread.
Wilco check out Sky Blue Sky for starters. Very accessible and safe with Jeff Tweedy at his peak. With Ryan Adams Heartbreaker and Gold are great early albums and difficult not to fall in love with or a bit later one of my all time favourites is Ashes and Fire. Some other classics but those three are guaranteed to impress. Ryan Adams always sounds nice on a quality system as well. Usually not over produced or too congested. Nice separation. No compression. Easy to listen to.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, maxsimonjp said:

Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, not sure if they comply with the definition but they do sound 90s to me.

Noir Desir too

Haha.  Only one problem.  All these great bands are products of the 80's  :)

On 06/05/2018 at 12:38 AM, analog brother said:

it's definitely radiohead.

before them they were many that started in the 80's....

massive attack would be 2nd,

Quoted for truth. Good work @analog brother

Currently I've circled back to The Reindeer Section but Radiohead reshaped popular music like clay. For influence, the writing teams/ studio production houses that wrote most of the Top 10 hits over this millennium ought to get a mention, but they aren't what I think of when I think of music.