Sign in to follow this  
forbesaw

amp or reciever

Hi, making my first foray into home theatre and would appreciate some advice. I want to listen to movies and music via 2 bookshelf speakers left and right of tv. Not sure whether i need just an amplifier or a receiver to drive 2 channel stereo. If i have the amp will the bluray movies sound ok? ( I have a ps3 slim for bluray and music), or should i go with a receiver that carries these formats bearing in mind i only need 2 speakers left an right.

Thanks Adrian

What are your speakers?

I'd just get an entry level Denon receiver, not having hdmi switching etc can be a pain

I had a simliar diliemma. I only do stereo. I have a HTPC running J river media center software. It play any format under the sun. I originally purchased a Cambridge 540R V3 receiver = Benefits are built in Tuner Built in DAC and good specs for music which was my priority. Later I wanted to upgrade my receiver due to the fact that I had decent speakers and wanted to give them the best. So I purchased a Yamaha RX-V3900 and it sounded terrible compared to my Ca540R so I got rid of it. Than I thought that if the 540R sounded good how good will the 840A Integrated amp sound so I recently upgraded and it sounds fantastic! Much improved.

The CA 640/650R Receiver is good for music Cambridge focus particular on music for there recievers using toroidal transformers and meaty power supplies. I wouldnt sell yourself short on the amplifier. Not sure about other brands.

Other points to note are: You must use the digital output of the PC to drive the receiver (the advantage of reveiver having digital inputs). If you go integrated amp you must have a DAC in between which mean more components and cost but you will have better sound quality.

Disadvantages of stereo for movie playback are that I find not having at least the center channel speaker sometimes the background sound of the movies is too overbearing and its hard to hear the vocals. Even if my system is tuned to play all channels out of the full range speakers. Having a reciever helps as they have different DSP settings that help this feature as you can program them to only work with two speakers.

Hope this answers your question.

Guest VladimirFreddie

If your goal is to get into Home Theatre, get a receiver. If you only have 2 speakers you can always add more for a more enveloping home theatre experience. It will sound fine through two speakers to start with.

But if you'll only ever want two channel, you may as well get a two channel integrated amplifer.

Hope this is helpful :)

HI, thanks for your responses. I have bought an nad c315bee and ushers s-520's. To go with ps3 and my samsung series 8 plasma. Can anyone answer this question.

Will ps3 playtv play through amp without connect a digital out to the tv currently?. Its basically a nightware to connect a digital out from tv to a dac at the moment.