GIESELER Groß DAC short loan

Looking to upgrade my DAC, and am very interested in trying out the GIESELER Groß DAC with intention to buy one if it is as good as everyone says. Anyone in Melbourne who would like to come over with their GIESELER Groß and have a listen in my system?

I have a Chord 2Qute DAC running through an Audiophilleo, off a modded Mac with a liner PS, and streaming via microRendu, Dynaudio speakers, OAD amps, Inakustik cabling, running off a PS Audio P3 power regenerator.

Amps are new on the scene and ready to take down all comers... I know, I've compared them to some very well known and serious gear. Hasn't been beaten yet... (as a side note, anyone have some seriously exotic amps and a half decxent system I can compare to?)

I'm in Williamstown - 15 mins out of the city down Footscray Road

Wine / Freshly ground coffee / Beer / your choice of food will be provided ;)

Max

Edited by Max Headroom
Update details

• 1 month later...

Mate I think clay has a trial program in place one one of these if your still looking, could be worth a call to him directly if your serious to pony up for a new one. They must be good though for people to be ditching their Directstreams at near $10k for it..

• Like 1

I was able to have s listen to a GroB dac here in Melbourne. It’s absolutely superb. Better than my Chord 2Qute and ate the PS Audio DirectStream junior for breakfast. I seriously don’t know what all the fuss is about the DirectStream Junior. It’s actually pretty bad, the Chord 2Qute is so much better in every way. The DS jr is the most overpriced and over hyped piece of equipment I’ve ever come across, and I like and own other PS Audio gear. The GroB is just head and shoulders above the DS jr, and is better than the Chord but it’s closer run thing. I was about to buy a GroB, but the taxman got in the way so my spending is seriously curtailed at the moment. 

• Like 6

Hi

I owned a Chord with a Geisner upgraded power supply - and it was good - in fact the first DAC to best (but not by much) the PDX Clay made.  He then created the original Konverter which was valve based and won a GTG, so was again top of the hill, although I have my issues with the selection of music for that GTG and other issues such as placing some DAC's on top of others that were on isolation platforms, and an earthing issue discovered later.  Anyway their was no doubt it was good, but the writing was on the wall, DAC's were getting better by leaps and bounds and Clay started immediately on designing even better DAC's,   First was the Kelin which was a cheaper DAC at about $750, but was up there with the older PDX.   Then a new version of the Konverter with its own pre amp - it was more expensive than first envisaged due to the cost of the expensive Jensen transformers.  But he then went to work on the Grob using lessons learnt with the Klein and Konverter and came up with the Grob which used an even more expensive Jensen transformer.   Conceptually it's very simple - Aminaro board into the DAC chip, into the output transformer.  I have compared it to both the Direct Stream and Jr, and it is obviously better.  I don't think the DS is as over hyped as you do though.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2018 at 10:05 PM, bhobba said:

Hi

I owned a Chord with a Geisner upgraded power supply - and it was good - in fact the first DAC to best (but not by much) the PDX Clay made.  He then created the original Konverter which was valve based and won a GTG, so was again top of the hill, although I have my issues with the selection of music for that GTG and other issues such as placing some DAC's on top of others that were on isolation platforms, and an earthing issue discovered later.  Anyway their was no doubt it was good, but the writing was on the wall, DAC's were getting better by leaps and bounds and Clay started immediately on designing even better DAC's,   First was the Kelin which was a cheaper DAC at about $750, but was up there with the older PDX.   Then a new version of the Konverter with its own pre amp - it was more expensive than first envisaged due to the cost of the expensive Jensen transformers.  But he then went to work on the Grob using lessons learnt with the Klein and Konverter and came up with the Grob which used an even more expensive Jensen transformer.   Conceptually it's very simple - Aminaro board into the DAC chip, into the output transformer.  I have compared it to both the Direct Stream and Jr, and it is obviously better.  I don't think the DS is as over hyped as you do though.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill

I only say DirectStream Jr is over hyped since the GroB and the Chord 2Qute (admittedly mine has an upgraded linear power supply) is better at what is it, one third the price?

The Chord is widely available, yet reviewers seem to fall over themselves to say how good the DS Jr 

YMMV  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

While I never actually got to back to back the 2Qute and the Grob DACS in my system, as I had them at different times, for what it is worth in my opinion the Grob easily cleans up the 2Qute without much fuss.

cheers Terry

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

At risk of a blatant hijack, has anyone of you many great people in inner Melb got one I can borrow for some comparo’s?  I’m intending to get one t some stage, but in the meantime I’m trying to convince a mate, who has an annoying tendency to be “brand loyal” to some big brands I don’t think are that great, to listen to some great Aussie made stuff!

Mat

• Like 1