Sign in to follow this  
CJMB

Suitable amplifier for Paradigm 9se speakers

Hi all,

I’m looking to get a new amp to pair with a set of mk1 Paradigm 9se speakers. They’re 4 ohm, 150w and have a sensitivity of 95db. It says “8 ohm compatible” or similar on the Paradigm website but clearly says “IMP: 4 ohms” on the back of the speakers. 

I asked a store for recommendations for integrated amps and was steered in the direction of the Musical Fidelity 5si/3si and NAD C368, all of which are way out of my budget.  They also suggested that most entry level amps (Marantz PM5005/6005, Denon PMA-520Ae, etc) weren’t powerful enough to drive them properly, and under powering them may cause damage. 

Does anyone here here have any experience with these speakers? If so, what amps did you have sucess with? Or just large-ish 4 ohm speakers in general. 

I’d prefer an integrated amplifier but am not ruling out a  pre-amp and power amp combination. I only need 2 channel output, a phono pre (doesn’t need to cater for MC), and 2 other sets of audio inputs. Bluetooth/wifi connectivity and a remote would be a bonus but not a necessity. Also don’t mind if it’s new or vintage, either way I’ll most likely be scrounging for a used item. Would love to be able to keep it under $500, I’m due for a cartridge replacement soon and can’t be putting too much money into this system at this stage. 

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Cam 

Just a little over budget, would be perfect I think.

Edited by Pops110

I ran a pair of the 11se Deluxe for a fair while with a Weston Acoustics Topaz that was a nice combo they are a lovely detailed speaker, probably not in your price though so a completely useless comment ?  

Any good amp will drive them mate.

I use to sell them back in the 90's with NAD, HK, Yammie and Marantz amp. 59-60 watts will be fine.

Saying that, the MF Amp that @Pops110 recommended would be sweet AS.?

Edited by Wimbo

Guest Hensa
29 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

...59-60 watts will be fine.

That’s a very narrow range, Wim!? I reckon even lower watts will be fine as long as the amp is specced to operate into 4 Ohm loads.

Edited by Hensa

Just now, Hensa said:

That’s a very narrow range, Wim!? I reckon even lower watts will be fine as long as the amp is species to operate into 4 Ohm loads.

Sooooo Funny. I meant, welll, you know what I meant. Any descent Amp will run them fine?

12 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Any good amp will drive them mate.

I use to sell them back in the 90's with NAD, HK, Yammie and Marantz amp. 59-60 watts will be fine.

Saying that, the MF Amp that @Pops110 recommended would be sweet AS.?

Is that 60W in 4 or 8 ohm?

14 hours ago, Pops110 said:

Just a little over budget, would be perfect I think.

Thanks.  That certainly looks amazing but is a bit more than I'd like to shell out.  Not to mention it appears to be sold now anyway.

3 hours ago, CJMB said:

Is that 60W in 4 or 8 ohm?

8 ohms mate

Thoughts on a running the Paradigms through a NAD C325BEE and a separate NAD/Rega/Pro-Ject/Cambridge phono preamp?

reading a few reviews quickly, cannot handle power , lack bass, treble not so good, not very favourable, not sure what they would have been partnered with in their day,I would say whatever you intend to buy audition first is an absolute must, if nothing fits, move them on, good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By krusto
      Item: Paradigm Monitor 10 SUB 
      Price: $700
      Item Condition: Excellent/Mint
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Lightly used for music, very nice, smooth subwoofer. Incredibly small (sealed) cabinet. Not only awesome for musical applications, but deep and powerful enough for any home theatre enthusiast.
      Original box etc for safe delivery.

DESIGN Single driver, acoustic suspension, built-in advanced Ultra-Class-D™ amplifier, USB port for PBK?equalization, removable grille AMPLIFIER 900 watts Dynamic Peak; 300 watts RMS Sustained AMPLIFIER FEATURES Auto-on/off, soft clipping, thermal protection ROOM CORRECTION Anthem Room Correction (ARC®) (sold separately) LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER 254-mm (10 in) carbon-loaded polypropylene cone, Active Ridge (ART) Technology surround, 38-mm (1-1/2 in) 4-layer copper-clad aluminum voice coil. Nomex® spider, 4.5 lb ferrite magnet, AVS™ die-cast heatsink chassis FINISHES Black Ash WEIGHT 30 lbs. (13.6 kg) DIMENSIONS HXWXD (33.0cm × 28.3cm × 32.4cm) LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION 17 Hz (DIN) LOW PASS FILTER FREQUENCY Variable 35 Hz - 150 Hz; Bypass Option SUB / SAT PHASE ALIGNMENT Variable 0° - 180° INPUTS Two RCA (L/R-Mono) for L/R lineout or Sub-Out/LFE-Out of receiver/processor or other line-level source COMPATIBLE PRODUCTS PT-2 Wireless Transmitter (sold separately)

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Highpower
      Item: Denon PMA-880R Class A Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $300 
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Accumulated too much hifi gear and about to move to a new house
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: This Denon PMA-880R Optical Class A Integrated Amplifier complete with RC-156 remote control and Operating Instructions is in mint condition. This amplifier was made in Japan in 1993.  Amps made by Denon in this era were considered to be the best amps that Denon ever made. These amps hardly ever come up for sale.

I have owned this amplifier from new and it has been very well looked after. The amplifier and remote control still look brand new and are unmarked. It's whole life has been in a cabinet behind a glass door, which is why it still looks brand new.

This Class A integrated amplifier has a very clean, detailed and powerful output that is impressive for both analogue and digital sources. There are no crackles or hums present and it performs just as well as the day I purchased it.

The PMA-880R has a solid power supply that uses a shielded toroidal transformer, and a pair of large 12,000uF capacitors for voltage smoothing and a very substantial heat sink. It features a source direct switch for tone controls bypass and optical connection between amplifier stages for detailed sound. Speakers can be connected via A, B, A B front switching. The speaker binding posts accommodate bare wires or banana plugs. The power rating is 2 x 75W RMS at 8 ohms or 2 x 120W at 4 ohms. The Denon PMA-880R uses an Optical class A circuit design for optimum sound quality. Source Direct can be used to bypass tone controls. The Denon PMA-880R accommodates both MM moving magnet and MC moving coil Phono options via front switching.

The Denon PMA-880R has the following RCA inputs: Phono, CD, Tuner, Aux, DAT/Tape-1, DAT/Tape-2. The amp also has a Record Out Selector a headphone jack, and a loudness button.

The specifications are as follows:

Power output: 75 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.02%
      Input sensitivity: 0.2mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
      Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MC), 94dB (MM), 110dB (line)
      Output: 150mV (line)
      Dimensions: 434 x 160 x 353mm
      Weight: 8.2kg
      Accessories: RC-156 remote control

• By myryad
      Item: Paradigm Seismic 110 Subwoofer
      Price: $1700
      Item Condition: Excellent (Mint) 
      Reason for selling: NLR - selling on behalf of family member
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Paradigm Seismic 110 Subwoofer purchased in April this year from a Sydney retailer. The sub is in mint condition as can be seen from the photos.

The Sesimic 110 sub is an absolute beast. The small footprint can fool people but this thing can get very low and has amazing speed.

It is a fantastic sub to use with a 2-channel music system due to its incredible agility and also perfectly suited to movies/home theatre duties as well, especially in small/medium sized rooms. The compact footprint also makes it great for dual sub setups. 

Significant saving from RRP on a sub that is only a few months old. It is also still under warranty.

Full specs here: https://www.paradigm.com/en/sealed/seismic-110

• By Keza_punk
      Item: Cambridge Audio azur 340r and 5.1 speaker setup.
      Price: 450
      Item Condition: All items as new condition.
      Every speaker works perfectly. AVR comes with remote control.
      Reason for selling: Change to 2.0 setup.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info: 

Up for sale my music and ht setup.
      Sale incudes 

****  4 star What HiFi review.
      1 x Cambridge Audio azur 340r receiver

Very musical amp, perfect for music listening.

***** 5 star What HiFi review.
      2 x Cambridge Audio Siccoro s30 speakers
      2 x Mourdand Short speakers
      1 x Paradigm centre speaker
      1 x Cambridge Audio Active Subwoofer

If you're after sound quality this setup will be perfect. Sound is crisp with plenty of details and low end.

Demo and inspections welcome.
      Buy only if you're happy with sound quality.

• By LachlanJM
      Item: Paradigm Millenia 20 Center Speaker
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info: Selling because I've sold all my other home theatre gear. Only have stereo sound now, so no longer need a centre channel!  Excellent condition. Comes from a  smoke free pet free home. Still have original packaging. Local pickup preferred.