Suitable amplifier for Paradigm 9se speakers

Hi all,

I’m looking to get a new amp to pair with a set of mk1 Paradigm 9se speakers. They’re 4 ohm, 150w and have a sensitivity of 95db. It says “8 ohm compatible” or similar on the Paradigm website but clearly says “IMP: 4 ohms” on the back of the speakers. 

I asked a store for recommendations for integrated amps and was steered in the direction of the Musical Fidelity 5si/3si and NAD C368, all of which are way out of my budget.  They also suggested that most entry level amps (Marantz PM5005/6005, Denon PMA-520Ae, etc) weren’t powerful enough to drive them properly, and under powering them may cause damage. 

Does anyone here here have any experience with these speakers? If so, what amps did you have sucess with? Or just large-ish 4 ohm speakers in general. 

I’d prefer an integrated amplifier but am not ruling out a  pre-amp and power amp combination. I only need 2 channel output, a phono pre (doesn’t need to cater for MC), and 2 other sets of audio inputs. Bluetooth/wifi connectivity and a remote would be a bonus but not a necessity. Also don’t mind if it’s new or vintage, either way I’ll most likely be scrounging for a used item. Would love to be able to keep it under $500, I’m due for a cartridge replacement soon and can’t be putting too much money into this system at this stage. 

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Cam 

I ran a pair of the 11se Deluxe for a fair while with a Weston Acoustics Topaz that was a nice combo they are a lovely detailed speaker, probably not in your price though so a completely useless comment ?  

• Like 1

Any good amp will drive them mate.

I use to sell them back in the 90's with NAD, HK, Yammie and Marantz amp. 59-60 watts will be fine.

Saying that, the MF Amp that @Pops110 recommended would be sweet AS.?

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

Guest Hensa
29 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

...59-60 watts will be fine.

That’s a very narrow range, Wim!? I reckon even lower watts will be fine as long as the amp is specced to operate into 4 Ohm loads.

Edited by Hensa

Just now, Hensa said:

That’s a very narrow range, Wim!? I reckon even lower watts will be fine as long as the amp is species to operate into 4 Ohm loads.

Sooooo Funny. I meant, welll, you know what I meant. Any descent Amp will run them fine?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Any good amp will drive them mate.

I use to sell them back in the 90's with NAD, HK, Yammie and Marantz amp. 59-60 watts will be fine.

Saying that, the MF Amp that @Pops110 recommended would be sweet AS.?

Is that 60W in 4 or 8 ohm?

14 hours ago, Pops110 said:

Just a little over budget, would be perfect I think.

Thanks.  That certainly looks amazing but is a bit more than I'd like to shell out.  Not to mention it appears to be sold now anyway.

• 1 year later...

reading a few reviews quickly, cannot handle power , lack bass, treble not so good, not very favourable, not sure what they would have been partnered with in their day,I would say whatever you intend to buy audition first is an absolute must, if nothing fits, move them on, good luck

• 4 months later...

Mate, I use a Yahama Rx1070 about 25 years old and they make my paradigm 9se sound awesome..Fills the whole house with absolute precision and clarity. Btw, I purchased the whole package together. You might try craigslist or maybe eBay. Good luck ?