Hi Guys

Got sick and tired of driver issues with my windows source and got a reconditioned Apple:

https://renewd.com.au/collections/apple/products/apple-macbook-air-13-3-mjve2ll-a-301310

I got I think its the pro version with 8gb for $100 extra - but I don't think you need it - its not using anywhere near its responses.   For example it can buffer an entrie CD into 700mb 

Audirvarna costs $79.00 if its new or $39.00 if you have purchased a previous version as I have.

It integrates MQA, Tidal and normal stuff ripped to disks.  Also will act as a streamer - well you can read all its features. 

Sounds fantastic - equally as good IMHO as HQPlayer.   Perfect Auralic replacement which are hard to get right now.   I used an ISO Regen with a curious ISO Regen cable and a piece of rubbish 5m USB cable to feed it so I can operate it from where I listen.  The ordering I have found is:

1.  MQA via Tidal - very analogue like - as others have noted with MQA its slighly ethereal, thin is another word I have seen used - but I find it very easy and natural.   Still some do not like it.

2.  High Definition ripped to disk - hard to say if its better or worse than MQA - I would have to say about the same.

3.  44.1/16 ripped to disk - not as good as the other 2 - not as natural or analogue like.

4. 44.1/16 Tidal.   Veiled is the only word I can come up with - but of course you have a huge catalogue to chose from.

I have not tried DSD - not a big fan - I have tried DSD up-sampling in the past and simply cant tell the difference.  I convert any DSD I have to PCM to take up less space.  Audirvana will play DSD and up-sample to DSD if you want it.

Will be doing more critical listening tomorrow and further comparing to HQPlayer.

Stay tuned.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

Audirvana user here. I use a Mac Mini with a NAS and MicroRendu feeding my DAC. Upsample everything to DSD128 simply because it can - have never taken time to compare vs PCM ?
For anyone out there on PC it will soon be coming to Windows...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, A+ won't upsample dsd64 to dsd128. Waiting on that one ... but I like dsf files, at 64 in addition to 128, 256.

/& yes I'm finding A+ particularly good with the latest version 3.1.7.

Using both Roon & HQP, but have gone back to A+ just about full time. Great thru an ultraRendu.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Well, A+ won't upsample dsd64 to dsd128. Waiting on that one ... but I like dsf files, at 64 in addition to 128, 256.

/& yes I'm finding A+ particularly good with the latest version 3.1.7.

Using both Roon & HQP, but have gone back to A+ just about full time. Great thru an ultraRendu.

Yes true I neglected to say that it doesn't upsample native DSD 64, ya got me ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Yes I prefer it to HQ player now - plus it does Tidal/MQA - nice stuff.

People have not had the SOX up-sampling long now and the best settings are not written up much.  Some have posted a few ideas eg one prefers the pre-ringing to at 46, but later increased it to 60 - I tried both but eventually went back to the default of 73.  One guy thinks 0 is the best settting:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/33766-upsampling-mqa-files-to-original-resolution-with-sox-will-sound-like-the-original-resolution/

Tried that - stil preferred the 73 setting.   

I also did an experiment where I put my Explorer 2 in my system - Mac to iso-regen to the Explorer 2 dac, then MiKe Lenehans new Curious RCA cable to my amp.   God it was close to my Direct stream - on 73 - gee they were hard to tell apart.   That Explorer 2 DAC is an incredible bargain but to get this kind of performance out oif it you need some other expensive gear like the Iso-Regen (with one of Geisner Audio's Linear supplies powering it) and Curious Explorer 2 cable (yes Mike who makes the Curious cables these days makes a USB cable specifically for the Explorer 2) and good RCA cables. The dac is $300 these days - but each of all the other stuff costs nearly as much or more - and for a $300.00 DAC - we Audiophiles have got rocks in our heads.  All up I would say it added up to about $1000.00 excluding the DAC of course.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Hi @bhobba

I still have my macmini and Audirvana, just switched to Auralic Aries femto recently. 

Anyway what Lenehan RCA cable are you talking about, please?

Reason I am asking is that I want to go either BNC to BNC or RCA to RCA(which is really spdif to spdif). I can actually go AES or BNC to RCA. So whilst I am at it what do you recommend.

7 hours ago, Jventer said:

what Lenehan RCA cable are you talking about, please?

There are a lot of good cables out there, but we know Mikes are above average and he basically sells direct so is a good, although not generally cheap, solution.

He now builds the Curious USB cables that have a good reputation - many saying its the best there is.  Probably for marketing reasons Mike now calls all his cables Curious - and I have his Curious RCA cables.   I got one of the first made and compared it to the Ribbonflex I had - I was with another Audiophile and we were about to go to dinner so didn't have much time.  We changed it over - chalk and cheese straight away.  Went to dinner and have left them in since.  Should really sell my old cables - but as I have said in other posts I have a lot of gear to sell - it came about in similar ways to the above.   You hear something better - change it over but never seem to get around to selling it.  I have to stop that - my money is not limitless.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2018 at 2:09 AM, bhobba said:

There are a lot of good cables out there, but we know Mikes are above average and he basically sells direct so is a good, although not generally cheap, solution.

He now builds the Curious USB cables that have a good reputation - many saying its the best there is.  Probably for marketing reasons Mike now calls all his cables Curious - and I have his Curious RCA cables.   I got one of the first made and compared it to the Ribbonflex I had - I was with another Audiophile and we were about to go to dinner so didn't have much time.  We changed it over - chalk and cheese straight away.  Went to dinner and have left them in since.  Should really sell my old cables - but as I have said in other posts I have a lot of gear to sell - it came about in similar ways to the above.   You hear something better - change it over but never seem to get around to selling it.  I have to stop that - my money is not limitless.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks Bill

Is that RCA for "normal" Rca as I am looking for a SPDIF cable , please?

Once your upgrade bug is scratched when next Audirvana update is released you will forget cables and Dac upgrades, it's that good. I've been using the same Dac for last 4 Years and keeps getting better with every upgrade . Saved me a lot of money.

Audirvana uses the 64 bit processor in the Mac to bypass most of your Dac functions so the Dac is irrelevant.  

• Like 1

I've been using Audirvana as well as Macs for many years can't see any reason for changing its a fine music player. 

I find it unbelievable that people persevere with Windows no I'm not getting into a war of words with anyone this is just my opinion.

I used Windows for many years before the Mac I will NEVER EVER go back.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2018 at 7:59 PM, Jventer said:

Thanks Bill

Is that RCA for "normal" Rca as I am looking for a SPDIF cable , please?

Sure Mike builds SPDIF cables but I think Keiths is better:

https://kleinnovations.com/kle-innovations-klei-products/klei-gzseries-cables/klei-gzero-digital/klei-gzero2d-spdif-ic/

Its slightly more expensive but I have compared the two and its definitely better - by a fair margin actually.

Thanks

Bill

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If you are talking about the 'similar artists' feature in A+, that doesn't appear to work for me either - though I think it used to(?). Broken with one of the updates?

I'm back listening with Roon/Hqplayer and find the SQ (poly-sinc/NS9) to be superior to A+3 using SoX (default settings).

Nonetheless I would recommend A+ as SQ is still excellent and it's a fraction of the price of Roon/HQP - and in some ways slicker to use.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2018 at 8:43 PM, Munce31 said:

Is anyone having issues with Suggested Artists and Tidal integration? 

I get no suggested artists though the Tidal integration and it's seriously hampering my new artist discovery... 

I posted this issue on the Audirvana forum and also Computer Audiophile - Damien has now released A+ 3.2.14 which fixes the issue. 

Great service from Damien too, there's generally a much faster response to issues than with the lumbering Roon mob.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2018 at 8:12 AM, sdepass said:

I use a Mac Mini from 2011 with A+ and love it although my Mini is on its last legs. I wonder if its worth getting the the new Mac Mini as it has a SSD...?

You can fit an SSD to the 2011 Mac Mini yourself if you're up for it. I fitted a 500GB SSD and it made a big difference. If you haven't already, you should also max out the RAM.

Doing those two things makes the 2011 Mac Mini a great platform for Audirvana (still).

I've looked at the specs for the 2018 models and they're a significant step forward, but they come at a much bigger price (I wouldn't consider the base model with the i3 processor).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Once downloaded & setup can you use Audirvana without an internet connection to play your local files?

Also is there a difference in sound quality between using the Windows versions vs the Mac version?