Sign in to follow this  
Lansche plasma guy

Majors finally get TCL QLED (2018 models)

In JB Hi Fi Camberwell yesterday and was shocked and delighted to see  a new 2018 TCL QLED on display.

It was a 65 inch and part of the X4 range.

It was showing a demo but the picture looked stunning.  Very similar to the 65 inch Samsung QLED's.

Was told it had just come in that day and was in the $4k range.

Great to finally see TCL's top end QLED's in stores.

LPG

FALD? 

I think so but not sure.

The picture on the set was great.  They're QLED set from last year was way better than the Hisense N7 and almost as good as the Samsung QLED (maybe as good did not have them side to side to tell).  This years is supposed to be much better again.

LPG

If it was a TCL OLED tv, might be something to get excited about.

I prefer Oled myself but QLED still gives a fantastic picture. 

And gamers like the higher nit brightness for HDR.

And the new FALD QLED Samsung has been getting raves on the net with some reviewers preferring it to OLEDs.  They're saying the blacks are not quite as good but still really great and they're loving the incredible brightness and dynamic range of the Samsung (and TCL?).

Regardless the TCL QLED still has very nice blacks.  On Netflix 4k HDR content the picture often looks stunning.

But my whole premise behind creating this topic was to create awareness for another brand that has some smashing tv's and has really put the cat among the pigeons price wise which is hopefully great for the consumer (us)!

Last years 2017 QLED from TCL was every bit as good (possible a hair less good but hard to say) than the Samsung at a much lower price.  Still way better than any conventional non OLED screen i saw (with the possible exception of the Panasonic 780 was nice and the Sony 9000).  It killed my mates calibrated 55 inch Hisense N7 and the MU7000 etc.

LPG.

See some of the 2018 Samsung TVs are now on display in the major retailers.  Spotted a 65" NU8000 (edge lit  LCD/LED with VA panel and HDR), listed at $3099 in JBHiFi (Rockhampton).  Haven't spotted any of the QLED range yet but note the Q9 and Q8 are listed as $6999 and $5899 respectively on the Samsung Australia web site.

These prices are incredibly steep and appear on par with last years QLED prices notwithstanding all of the hype about a more reasonable price structure in 2018.  The good news is that the QLED 8 series appears to have a full array backlit as opposed to the European variant which is only edge lit.

Understand that the TCL series 6 are FALD so if they are available in Australia, will definitely look at this cheaper option.  

9 hours ago, pc9 said:

See some of the 2018 Samsung TVs are now on display in the major retailers.  Spotted a 65" NU8000 (edge lit  LCD/LED with VA panel and HDR), listed at $3099 in JBHiFi (Rockhampton).  Haven't spotted any of the QLED range yet but note the Q9 and Q8 are listed as $6999 and $5899 respectively on the Samsung Australia web site.

These prices are incredibly steep and appear on par with last years QLED prices notwithstanding all of the hype about a more reasonable price structure in 2018.  The good news is that the QLED 8 series appears to have a full array backlit as opposed to the European variant which is only edge lit.

Understand that the TCL series 6 are FALD so if they are available in Australia, will definitely look at this cheaper option.  

The 6 series TCL from last year were FALD and sold like crazy in the States and got fantastic reviews (baring in mind the prices).  These models unfortunately were not available in Australia and we had to contend with the edge lit C and P series which had ok pictures but not great.  They're QLED x2 US from last year had a stunning picture and was available here but in limited supply and was not available at any of the majors.

This year the QLED's are at the majors and are supposed to be better again.  Not sure if the other TCL models coming to Australia are edge or FALD panels.  There was supposed to be a TCL live stream today/ tonight sometime to release they're new Australian 2018 models so that may reveal more.  

The Samsung 9 QLED for 2018 is supposed to be stunning but that price is a killer.  I"m hoping the TCL QLED is competitive and a few thousand cheaper which would make it great buying.  2017 TCL QLED was better than almost all the non OLED tv's i saw and way better than conventional LCD's.

LPG