Hi 

I'm looking at buying a cheap Rotel RA-12 to use as a pre-amp. But I do not know if the pre-outs are variable or fixed? I've looked everywhere for the answer!

Does anybody know or able to find out?

I have found out that the RA-12 is almost exactly the same as the RA-630, if that helps giving the answer.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Byron Scholar
New info

Yeah that's what I thought but I need to be sure. I've also been told that they are fixed but I don't trust the circumstances of the source.

I have an RA12. How can I check this for you?

......hold on - does this help? I run pre-puts from the RA12 to a Rotel power amp. The volume control on the RA12 works to vary the volume through the power amp. I assume this means they are variable?

Edited by 943
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 943 said:

Connect another seperate amp with speakers connected or a TV via the pre-out of the RA-12 into an input on the amp or AV in on a TV.

Play some music on the RA-12 with the speaker switch in the off position. You should have sound coming out the connected device.

This sound should vary with the volume nob and bass/treble on the RA-12 if so, it is variable.

If you have no control over the volume, it is fixed. (Not variable).

Feel free to ask if you need more detail. :)

12 minutes ago, 943 said:

......hold on - does this help? I run pre-puts from the RA12 to a Rotel power amp. The volume control on the RA12 works to vary the volume through the power amp. I assume this means they are variable?

Yes! Yes it does! Thank you very much! :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By VinylChef
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Edgecliff State: NSW Payment Method: PayPal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgraditis PRICE DROP!
      Why Buy?
      Built in 1999, with one main owner since then, this is a great example of a fantastically capable Rotel power amplifier.
      Featuring an inhouse-built, oversized toroidal transformer and easily configured for bridged mono mode, it has plenty of power for any speaker down to 4 ohms, and a lovely warm detailed sound to boot.
      Recently serviced and given a clean bill of health by Rage Audio (with only minor repairs needed), it is immaculate mechanically and electronically, with the only blemish being pitting and roughness on the top cover.

Specifications
      Power output: 130 watts per channel into 8ohms (stereo), 360W into 8ohms (mono)
      Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kH
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
      Damping factor: 500
      Input sensitivity: 1V
      Signal to noise ratio: 120dB
      Speaker load impedance: 4ohms (minimum)
      Dimensions: 440 x 121 x 327mm
      Weight: 10.3kg

Photos

• By MAXXX
      Item Condition: Used, excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Kardinya State: WA Payment Method: Bank transfer, PayPal (friend), COD Reason for selling: NLR Further information:  Purchased mid October  here in Perth from "Leeming42" , mint condition. (no dents, scratches etc)

No original box so local buyers preferred, happy to demo.

Shipping (Australia only) is $35 via courier with tracking.

Current model, RRP is $1799, on sale for $1600 in few  online shops...

https://klappav.com.au/products/rb-1552-mk-ii
      https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/rotel-rb-1552-mk-ii-stereo-power-amplifier.html

Power Configurations: 2 x 120 watts (20Hz-20kHz, <0.03%, 8 Ohms)
      Watts/Channel: 130 watts, all channels driven, 8 ohm load, 20-20kHz
      THD (20-20,000Hz) 8 Ohms, all channels driven: < 0.03%
      IM Distortion: < 0.03%
      Damping Factor (8 Ohms): 500

Input Impedance / Sensitivity
      Unbalanced: 12k Ohms/1.5 volt
      Balanced: 50k Ohms/2.5 volt

Frequency Response (+/-1dB): 4 - 100kHz (+0.5dB, -3dB)
      S/N Ratio (IHF A): 120dB
      Power Consumption: 400 watts
      Dimensions (W x H x D): 431 x 144 x 340 mm
      Front Panel Height: 3 U (5.25”)
      Shipping Weight: 14.3 Kg

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

• By Steam
      Item Condition: Ok. Working Fine but not beautiful Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Woodend State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash Reason for selling: No longer needed Further information:

I am the original owner of the pre and the 980.  The 850 was purchased of eBay years ago.    I kept them because I had always thought I would use the 980 (160W @ 8Ohms) plus the bridged 850 (similar power) would make a good trio of amps for the front three HT channels.  Turns out I just never used them.  I have been stirring them in the shed and so it’s time to go.  Cosmetic condition is conservative 5 out of 10.  Scratches and dust and a few scuff marks.  Actually look worse in the photos.  I broke the plastic cover on the speaker terminal on the 980 so replaced it with a nice brass terminal - much nicer than the plastic and I always meant to replace all of them.  The pre is missing a plastic knob.  You can swap the know around if you need to switch.  I doubt anyone wants the pre but it could be useful to someone - note it has a phono input.   I tested them all yesterday and they all work fine.   At this point I will not separate.  I have the original manual for the pre and the 890 but no boxes.   I work near Royal Melbourne hospital so could meet someone in central melb to hand over.
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By xPLAYRZx
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Traralgon State: Victoria Payment Method: Direct deposit, PayPal Reason for selling: No longer required Further information: Purchased 2nd hand approx 9 months ago from KlappAV and used in a HT setup to run two atmos channels.  I have since added an additional multichannel amplifier so this Rotel is now surplus to my needs.  There are a few scratches (show in pictures) on the top of the unit, otherwise looks and works perfectly.  Prefer pickup due to weight but am willing to post at buyers expense.

The RB-1070 is rated at 130W x 2

Detailed specs in the links below -
      Info sheet
      Dimensional drawings

Photos:

• By RBN1
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Point Cook State: Victoria Payment Method: EFT, Cash, Paypal Reason for selling: Moved to Primare. I've had this in storage for a while but doubt i'll get a chance to use it again which is a shame. Further information:
      Massive toroidal transformer. This thing is a heavy beast. Displays all the classic Rotel traits: resolution, headroom, and presence.  THX Certified 
        5x100W (20hz-20khz 8ohms, <=0.03% THD) Frequency response 10 Hz - 80 kH  Max Power Consumption : 800W 440mm (W) x 139mm (H), 396mm (D) Weight : 15.5 KG   Comes in it's original box. A few scratches on the top and here and there but otherwise in great condition.  Note : I may have the original printed manual somewhere. A copy in PDF is available. The original Rotel 900 series brochure is included.   Postage : Estimated to be around $50 insured for buyer within Melbourne.    Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved