FS: Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH)

Item: Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH)

Price: 320
Item Condition: Brand New in Box
Reason for selling: According to reviews its matching with HD800 is not what I want
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only (buyer to pay payment service fee if any)
Extra Info:

You can refer to the link below for the product details. Should be a value for money budget amp.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-cth-tube-hybrid-amp#description

Pictures:

IMG_3506.PNG

IMG_3513.JPG

• Like 1

The sound is transformed with a decent linear power supply and a Russian 6H23 tube and running it in for well over 100 hours - given enough operating time, this is an incredible 'bang-for-buck' item

Good quality linear supplies like the Geissler, the China S11, etc cost about the A$300 but you can diy for less than half this, if you can find/make a reasonable case

Although the supplies EH 6922 are quite good, the Russian 6H23s (1975 silver, for example) are slightly more transparent/dynamic/etc and cost about A$60 +.   

There is a short protection ring (CH-FM-39, silver finish) available from 'vt4c' in HK (also known as HiFi DIY) for about A$12 + frt, and can be easily attached to the top cover plate if you don't like the exposed top of the tube

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HdB said:

The sound is transformed with a decent linear power supply and a Russian 6H23 tube and running it in for well over 100 hours - given enough operating time, this is an incredible 'bang-for-buck' item

Good quality linear supplies like the Geissler, the China S11, etc cost about the A$300 but you can diy for less than half this, if you can find/make a reasonable case

Although the supplies EH 6922 are quite good, the Russian 6H23s (1975 silver, for example) are slightly more transparent/dynamic/etc and cost about A$60 +.   

There is a short protection ring (CH-FM-39, silver finish) available from 'vt4c' in HK (also known as HiFi DIY) for about A$12 + frt, and can be easily attached to the top cover plate if you don't like the exposed top of the tube

That all sounds complicated.

So $300 for a better PSU, and another $60 for a better tube?

As you're up North, you could possibly 'talk a deal' with the guys from Geissler about the price as it's a pretty simple supply of 28 volts and around 1A  - the amp draws just on 370mA once it's warmed up (0.36A) but it's been often said that a higher rated supply just sounds better, so ask Clay about this too.  

There's a whole range of these readily available - Teddy Pardo would possibly build you a custom 28 volt one with the proper lead for about A$450 (see TeddyPardo website)  - the S11 one I mentioned from China is based around the AMB Laboratories 'Sigma 11' design and is very well regarded and good value -  you can also get some good quality laboratory linear supply with a capacitor on the output for maybe $150 too - you'll need to get a 2.1mm plug on the supply lead (for the headamp), not a 2.5mm one (easily mistaken). 

The 'better tube' is a bit of a misnomer as it's just a bit different sound to the supplied Electro Harmonix one - If you're looking for 'more detail' with, for example, a really smooth dac and headphones, it might be quite useful - it's something to, perhaps, look at later on, not something you need straight away 

• Volunteer

@HdB I know you're trying to help, but the poor OP is just trying to sell his amp.

I'm finding your posts to be very technical and distracting and possibly not really relevant to the advert (my opinion only, the OP may be perfectly happy, in which case I apologise and I'll go away :) )

Well I just brought my HD800S to my study and plugged them in to check the sound. The sound coming from this Cavalli CTH is VERY good.

Maybe the HD800 may not be as mellow as the S model but maybe you should open the box and have a listen.

Reviewers are often wrong... or they have their own bias.

For sure, whoever buys this will get pleasure from it!