NEWS The Rolling Stones / The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016 vinyl box

Released June 15th

EVERY ROLLING STONES STUDIO ALBUM FROM 1971 ONWARDS
• SOURCED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES
• REMASTERED AND CUT AT HALF-SPEED AT ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS 
• PRESSED ON HEAVYWEIGHT 180 GRAM BLACK VINYL
• INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED, LIMITED EDITION WITH ORIGINAL PACKAGING REPLICATIONS 
• ALL BOX SETS INCLUDE DOWNLOAD CODES FOR HIGH QUALITY DIGITAL VERSIONS

https://therollingstonesshop.com/products/studio-albums-vinyl-collection-1971-2016

rollingstones_studiovinyl_600.jpg

They did a wonderful job with the Mono box set.

I have a set on order with amazon uk and usa and see how the exchange rate is in June and cancel one of them.

I have all the 80's albums that are ordinary Aussie pressings so look forward to replacing them.  

The recent half speed mastered INXS Kick is really good, so hopefully these half speed masters will be good.

Edited by metal beat

• 2 weeks later...

More information from Miles Showell,  the vinyl mastering engineer at Abbey Road studios who did this box set. 

Really looking forward to this box set

Hello David,

Lucy forwarded your email to me. Apologies that I was unable to respond sooner as it has been extremely busy.

You are correct, for the first half speed cut I did for “Exile On Main Street” I was tied to the most recent remastered audio. This was a decision taken by the band’s management as it was the officially approved audio at that time. In an Ideal world I would have preferred to have had access to a flat transfer from the masters, but that was not available at that time.

The good news for this box however is that there was a very different approach. While I was not granted access to the original master tapes (some of which are getting pretty worn and should be used as little as possible to prevent further damage) I was loaned an archive hard disk by the management. On this disk were two separate sets of high resolution flat transfers from the master tapes for each album where the source was analogue tape (two or there of the later albums are digital recordings and these were digitally dubbed at their original sample rate to the hard disk). The two archive transfers were DSD and also 24 bit 192 kHz PCM (a few were 24 bit 176.4 kHz). I was told to listen to both and choosewhichever one I felt was the best to use. In most cases the DSD transfer won, but not always. Once I had chosen, I was given free range to just ‘do my thing’ which was remarkable freedom. I had no instructions from the band’s management or from Universal other than to do it as well as I could. At no point was any digital peak limiting applied to these albums as this is never good for audiophile releases and is completely useless as a source for vinyl records (full scale digital audio is too loud to cut from, so it is pointless to smash it against the brick wall only to drop the level still further for the cut. Adding limiting would have been the worst of all worlds, increased distortion and “mush” with no level increase). On some songs I did apply some gentle tube compression (I have an analogue tube AT-101, which is a very faithful Fairchild 670 recreation, it sounds wonderful, almost certainly because of the 22 tubes in it). This compression was for artistic effectand feel and not to over hype the music and make it too pumped. I am no fan of extreme compression butlike salt and pepper in cooking, a little bit carefully applied at the right time in the right quantity can really improve things.

I was also loaned a set of original pressings for every album which was an excellent reference point as I could play these on the calibrated system on the lathe while also listening to the files. My goal was to make these new cuts at least as good as the originals and hopefully better. This is not as easy as it sounds due to the wear on some of the tapes. Essentially, for the original cuts, the tapes were obviously in mintcondition which is a huge advantage for the original pressings, but I have a far cleaner signal path than was available to the original cuttingengineers which helped me. I am happy that I achieved my goal. Management and Universal did not listen to anything until the test pressing stage when the decision was taken to proceed, thankfully the feedback was good (had they not liked it, the box would almost certainly not be happening).

I hope all of the above answers your question and if you get a box that you are pleased with it. Just so you know, the latest album in the set was not remastered but all of the others have been worked on by me.

Best Wishes,
Miles

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The Stones album that I have really warmed to recently is Black & Blue. Totally under rated with some great songs and IMHO maybe their best recorded album.

I read Keith Richards "Life" in the last few months (highly recommended) and listened to the albums chronologically along the way. Going from "It's Only Rock n Roll" (1974) to Black & Blue (1976) seemed more like a twenty year leap forward in recording and production quality.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

@metal beat - a tip of the hat to you for your role in that review. 

I like the side by side files comparison. Time to get the headphones out!

Nice!

LOL.  As much as I would like to take the credit, but it was some guy called David on Hoffman forums who asked the engineer.  That he took the time to answer and he was happy for it to be posted is very cool.

cheers

25 minutes ago, giddyup1 said:

Does anyone know it’s true that Amazon will ban Australians from buying from their US store because of the new GST rules? Looks like I might have to purchase this box set quick ;)

That is what Amazon are saying.   Find out tomorrow. 

39 minutes ago, giddyup1 said:

Does anyone know it’s true that Amazon will ban Australians from buying from their US store because of the new GST rules? Looks like I might have to purchase this box set quick ;)

Yes.

It's True.

Google it.

Tonight is your last night of GST free purchases under a grand.

Seriously, it's been in the news for months. It ends at 12 midnight.

3 minutes ago, Luc said:

Yes.

It's True.

Tonight is your last night of GST free purchases under a grand.

Boooo!

I hope Mal's chooks turn into Emus and kick his dunny down

12 minutes ago, rantan said:

Boooo!

I hope Mal's chooks turn into Emus and kick his dunny down

Just think of the collective good all this new untapped revenue will benefit the country and you and me. I'm all for it, I'd like to see it raised to close or above the UK's VAT.?

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

Just think of the collective good all this new untapped revenue will benefit the country and you and me. I'm all for it, I'd like to see it raised to close or above the UK's VAT.?

Actually, forget the collective good.  That can be achieved by other tax measures,which I support.

It will cost the same ( or more ) to collect this tax on small purchases than the revenue it creates. Pandering to Gerry Harvey and lobbyists is never the collective good.

I disagree.

Edit: But, it's a thread about a box of albums so this discussion about tax can and probably should go over and down into the  politics threads.

*I only want one album out of the box set but tempted to buy the box for the one!

Edited by Luc

32 minutes ago, Luc said:

I disagree.

Edit: But, it's a thread about a box of albums so this discussion about tax can and probably should go over and down into the  politics threads.

*I only want one album out of the box set but tempted to buy the box for the one!

Luc, you only want one as you have all the others,  or you only like one?     Am  spinning it now - its very good if you don't have original UK pressings of all the 71 - 89 stuff like myself.

I was being a bit flippant Shane. I'd really love a good copy of Black+Blue and some of the others but not all. I'm not a huge fan. But it's very tempting.

Well, It was nice to have 2 box sets for a week.  One will have to be returned to amazon this week.

strange how the some of same album scan sound slightly different in each box.  You almost get a Hot Stamper effect on some of the albums - the replacement Stick Fingers sounded better with more attack in the guitars and a little more extension.  This happened on several albums I compared  - some had no difference.

28399666587_b280b61b40_b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YCC said:

@metal beat have you had a listen to Exile On Main Street yet? If so, what's your opinion, and how does it compare with the 2016 Abbey Road half-speed reissue? Any comments most appreciated... cheers..YCC

Hi YCC

I have not heard the 2016 half speed master.   If you read the Hoffman forum, it's pretty consistent that the new half speed master sounds better.

Myles the engineer had flat transfer file's given to him and he chose what sounded best,  unlike the 2016 one which was the cd master.

Btw - Exile sounds great.

Edited by metal beat
  • Thanks 1