Jeddie

FM Tuner - All the Same?

I really enjoy listening to FM radio (not DAB). I bought an older NAD tuner off ebay a couple of years ago. 

I thought the brand of tuner would not matter much in regard to SQ, because I was pulling a signal from the air  (Each radio station determines their bitrate) and passing it thru to my amp  & speakers.

I reasoned that my amp & speakers were the main player(s) in SQ when listening to FM along with the bitrate of the station.

So have I got this wrong?

Can changing an FM Tuner improve audio if all else in my system remain the same? If so how?

Your thoughts?

Once you have the aerial sorted out the situation with tuners, or any component really, is similar to the difference between a clapped out (say) Suzuki Swift (no offense intended to Swift owners) and a brand new top of the range Rolls Royce. On paper they do exactly the same job, it's only the level of comfort, design and build quality that's different. The better the implementation of the basic design and the quality of the parts used will give differing levels of performance and enjoyment. Everything makes a difference ultimately. Your geographical location can make or break the situation in some circumstances, too.

For what it's worth, Ive found that the UK audio company, Quad, make very good tuners. Many years ago, I had a Quad FM3 tuner...one of the best I've ever owned. The US company, Magnum Dynalab, also make very good (if pricey) tuners.

Here is the link:

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/

P.S. It appears that Quad no loner make FM tuners....at least there are none listed in their current model lineup.....so you would have to look for a used one. I'm sure there would be plenty out there.

Personally I like old tuners, Marantz 10B, McIntosh MR-65, Harman Kardon T403 these were some top quality tuners back in the days and they still stand up and draw attention in today's market.

4 hours ago, Jeddie said:

I really enjoy listening to FM radio (not DAB). I bought an older NAD tuner off ebay a couple of years ago. 

I thought the brand of tuner would not matter much in regard to SQ, because I was pulling a signal from the air  (Each radio station determines their bitrate) and passing it thru to my amp  & speakers.

I reasoned that my amp & speakers were the main player(s) in SQ when listening to FM along with the bitrate of the station.

So have I got this wrong?

Can changing an FM Tuner improve audio if all else in my system remain the same? If so how?

Your thoughts?

I have an old NAD 4020A, which I purchased around 1980, which I just used spasmodically, and recently in my kitchen system. 3 years ago I purchased a Vincent STU-400 and swapped it in. Same set-up and difference is staggering. The Vincent is a massive step up in sound quality.

The tuner information centre runs shoot out on tuners 

do a search

the Japanese we’re obsessed by FM in the mid to late 70s 

price no object chases of sound quality every flagship brand had a grand tuner 

I 9nly have 3 left in my Hoard 

hitchi 5500mark ll 

amber 7 

sansui xxx have to check the model

Sansui TU 417

seperation of components to single boxes applies to tuners too.

All mine are were am/fm .

True purists use FM only and yes they sound better.

@telecine has a truly rare Leak troughline Id ask him to leave it to me in his will but the callow you he is will outlive this nonogenerian by 30 years 

@Telecine

Edited by djb

Callow youth? Or just callow you?

I have a Sansui 9900 and enjoy its sound and appreciate its ability to "grip" the station as compared to the signal never... quite.. sounding tuned to the station

53 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Callow youth? Or just callow you?

I have a Sansui 9900 and enjoy its sound and appreciate its ability to "grip" the station as compared to the signal never... quite.. sounding tuned to the station

I'd up your sansui with my Yammie T2.....?

6 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I'd up your sansui with my Yammie T2.....?

Graeme sold you one, too!!  ?

Andy