How is Devialet Expert 1000 Pro?

Seeking experienced audiophiles who have intensive experience with the Devialet 1000 Pro and other similar priced amp can tell me your opinion about them? How Does Devialet sounds to you and does it worth the money? Pretty expensive price tag...

thank you for your input!

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, PeppaPig said:

But I have been there, listening room isn’t quite dedicated.

Not sure what you mean by "isn't quite dedicated"

I'm sure if you are seriously considering dropping ~40k on a bit of kit, they would set up the room any way you'd like it...

While not a 1000, I recently picked up an Expert 200, and have been blown away.  The clarity is properly astonishing.  I haven't hooked it up to my main speakers yet, but I have with some KEF LS50's and I couldn't be more impressed.  The one thing do have reservations about is the power.  Some extra watts may be helpful, which the 1000 wouldn't have any issues with.  Take a listen, I guarantee you'll be impressed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flynnyfalcon said:

While not a 1000, I recently picked up an Expert 200, and have been blown away.  The clarity is properly astonishing.  I haven't hooked it up to my main speakers yet, but I have with some KEF LS50's and I couldn't be more impressed.  The one thing do have reservations about is the power.  Some extra watts may be helpful, which the 1000 wouldn't have any issues with.  Take a listen, I guarantee you'll be impressed.

I have the 200 as well and was wondering about pairing it with some LS50s. 

Thanks for the input guys. I heard the Devialet few times from oversea as well as one of my friend have it here.

What I found out is when the speaker's resolution isn't super super high, the Devialet seems really good driving them, I think the LS50 is one of the speaker like that. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean LS50 is not good, but its not a very high end product.

But when Devialet connected to a super high end speaker, my listening experience is it sounds too bright, sharp, thin.... for example, those TAD, MBL, Burmester...

Look I am not trying to make any conclusion here, it just what I found out in few of my personal experience, that's why I want to hear someone else's opinion... It could be the system I heard isn't matched properly, or Devialet isn't targeting for those speakers' market?

I like the Devialet's simplicity, having two smaller boxes rather few big boxes and a lot of interconnect cables.

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, PeppaPig said:

What I found out is when the speaker's resolution isn't super super high, the Devialet seems really good driving them,

At the opposite end of the Devialet spectrum I’ve heard my 120 into my Avantgarde horns and a friend’s Wilson Benesch speakers. Both very revealing. It sounded superb - I imagine the top-end devialet would be amazing. 

20 minutes ago, PeppaPig said:

Thanks for the input guys. I heard the Devialet few times from oversea as well as one of my friend have it here.

What I found out is when the speaker's resolution isn't super super high, the Devialet seems really good driving them, I think the LS50 is one of the speaker like that. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean LS50 is not good, but its not a very high end product.

But when Devialet connected to a super high end speaker, my listening experience is it sounds too bright, sharp, thin.... for example, those TAD, MBL, Burmester...

Look I am not trying to make any conclusion here, it just what I found out in few of my personal experience, that's why I want to hear someone else's opinion... It could be the system I heard isn't matched properly, or Devialet isn't targeting for those speakers' market?

I like the Devialet's simplicity, having two smaller boxes rather few big boxes and a lot of interconnect cables.

Were you listening to the internal dac or other?

My previous audition with the LS50’s were disappointing. Harsh top end and quite fatiguing. I bought a set of LS50’s on a whim based upon their universal praise and thinking that possibly the demo room was poorly setup. And I’m incredibly glad I did, the Devialet has smoothed out all the harshness and fatigue. To my ears, they are a great combo. And I’ve always considered the LS50’s as a highly resolving speaker. 

Looooooooove my D1000 :)

Its not bright or fatiguing. If anything i have found the sound out of it to be 'smooth'. It's a hamburger with the lot, does everything. I have TAD speakers which are ultra revealing, the 1000 drives them to crazy levels with no strain.

Mind you, there are things you need to be aware of and do right with the Dev to get it humming. There are settings you need to select in the configurator. Cables make a difference for sure, and most importantly you need to feed it the best signal you can. Feed it a signal to its AES input from the output of something like a mutec MC3+ and a lot of digital glare is removed.

• Like 1

Oh, regarding the LS50's... I've previously owned a Devialet 200 running LS50 passives, and now have the active version of the LS50's. Hands down i'd keep the active LS50's. No need for the extra expense, boxes and cables of the dev/ls50. The active LS50's for the money are great.

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Were you listening to the internal dac or other?

Internal DAC, i don't think we can bypass it?

@wikeeboy

I have listened to Mutec MC-3+USB and compare it to Devialet AIR, it seems the AIR is very similar to MC-3 output.

I have also listened to other D1000 setups, some are good, some are too bright.

When you mention settings in configuration, can you share more details??

@Others

Don't get me wrong, I am not making a conclusion here, I definitely love the EXPERT range products, and I think it is one of the BEST amplifier in the world.  I just trying to figure out why some system I heard is better than the others, especially when Devialet connect to a higher end speaker I would expect much better result.

Edited by PeppaPig

2 hours ago, PeppaPig said:

@wikeeboy

Yes sorry, not very well put. What I meant was whether another dac was used prior to the Dev and inputted through the analogue inputs. Yes I know it still goes through the Dev dac but IMO it can sound different. I recently heard a Dev 200 with  Chord qutest and compared between using the Dev dac only via usb and usb regen vs the qutest w same before it through the analogue inputs. The Dev was much brighter in a negative way. There are lots of things this can mean but I guess I would be looking as others have suggested at how the digital is delivered when you are picking up a difference.  So in that case I think it is more than likely what you are hearing is really happening. If you read through the various references to the Dev on this site there are multiple posts on how different inputs and treatments of those inputs made a difference. Then there is cables and power etc if you subscribe to that line of thought, not to mention system synergy. No idea exactly how it would affect the 1000 however.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeppaPig said:

@wikeeboy

I have listened to Mutec MC-3+USB and compare it to Devialet AIR, it seems the AIR is very similar to MC-3 output.

I have also listened to other D1000 setups, some are good, some are too bright.

When you mention settings in configuration, can you share more details??

@Others

Don't get me wrong, I am not making a conclusion here, I definitely love the EXPERT range products, and I think it is one of the BEST amplifier in the world.  I just trying to figure out why some system I heard is better than the others, especially when Devialet connect to a higher end speaker I would expect much better result.

What are the details of the D1000 systems you liked, and the ones that were too bright? Interested in what the differences may have been.

10 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

What are the details of the D1000 systems you liked, and the ones that were too bright? Interested in what the differences may have been.

Hi @wikeeboy, I know another guy who uses a Devialet with TAD speaker (Like you?) but he is using a D400,  it sound bright...  there are some report on web as well, you can search it. And my personal experience for Devialet, choose the right speaker is extremely important, a very revealing speaker usually sound brighter on Devialet. Some poeple may think LS50 is very revealing, but I think its in relative to some other speaker... well. but this doesn't means its Devialet's fault, it can be the speaker. or half half, because I do hear many system with Devialet sounds quite balanced and nice too.

Anyway @wikeeboy could you please tell me the details of configuration you mentioned previously? so I can test them out?

@frednork, Yes you are right. I do hear few people using external DAC analog into Devialet and they say its significant better! But I haven't heard one personally, so I am not sure. Technically if Devialet is 99.9999% transparent, then its very possible.

IMO If you need to use the analogue inputs of the Dev for you to enjoy its sound, i don't think devialet is the right component for you. The beauty of Devialet is the ultra short signal path. 

Peppa, re Devialet and TAD. Very dependant on the speakers. The Ref 1's are a relatively easy load. My CR1's are a tough load, and my E1's easier. I've had the 400 and i wouldn't use it with my CR1's. 

Re LS50's. I love my active LS50's, but its in the context of what they cost. I wouldn't even compare to my Dev/TAD.

I'll PM you with the config details.

• Like 1