Avengers: Infinity War (NO SPOILERS)

First and foremost, it is hard to talk about this film in any detail and not risk giving away spoilers. So I ask posters to please double-check your posts before hitting that submit button. ?

Despite the movie's title the main protagonist is Thanos who enjoyed the most character development. Thanos, the arch-nemesis of the Marvel comic universe, was introduced by comic-writer Jim Starlin back in 1973. The movie itself is loosely based on a 1991 six-part mini-series penned by Jim called "The Infinity Gauntlet". Comic book fans waited decades to see Jim's vision being realised on the big screen, and it was worth the wait. However I will try to talk about the film from a movie-goers point of view, albeit one with some familiarity with previous Marvel movies. If you have not seen any Marvel movies before, there is no way to fully appreciate what is going on and that would dull the enjoyment from the experience. And in essence, this movie is more about 'an experience' than story telling (in contrast to their recent Black Panther movie).

And what an experience; this is movie making at a grand scale. Action is basically non-stop, with little chance to catch one's breath and savour the moment. As expected there is an overload of Marvel characters/actors, with only a handful of notable exception (no spoilers). There is a rich combinatorics of possible character interplay and interactions, and I think these are the highlights of the film, even for non-comic book fans. Plenty of naturally delivered light humour that frequently made the audience laughed; it is a typical Movie movie in that regard. But going beyond previous films, there is more emotional intensity here than before, and obviously the stakes are unmatched. In a nutshell, this movie is action packed and intense, and it did not let up even at the movie's conclusion. There is only one end credit scene, right after all the credit, but is a good one. Not a spoiler to say one has to watch the follow-up movie, to be released in a year's time, and several others to be screened in between.

Some movie reviews have compared this movie to 'The Empire Strikes Back', and I think that is fair. Certainly in terms of relative importance to a franchise, it is an accurate comparison. Infinity War probably won't reach the legendary status of Episode V, but it could be just as memorable. I would certainly want to experience it a second time at the cinema.  ?

gauntlet.thumb.jpg.fc6fa15451ec39a61397560e18aa99e2.jpg

Edited by LHC
  • Like 4

Crikey, interesting post @LHC and will influence me to have a look. I wonder if the release of Venom will feed into the next instalment of this?

Venom looks a bit scary for me. :D

Will be good to watch this one though as I was getting a bit over the Superhero movies, though Ragnarok was very amusing, an unexpected outcome. :D 

Haven't seen anything to top The Dark Knight yet, though I guess one shouldn't always compare.

Coming from collecting comics some 20+ years ago, Infinity War changed everything when it was released. One of my favourite issues was the 2 part hard cover called Thanos Quest which showed how he obtained each Infinity Gem, which is completely different to how they have presented the Gems in the movies. 

I have waited so long for this trilogy to come to life and I’m seeing it tomorrow morning as I’ve been on shift. Sounds like they have done Thanos justice as he is relentless and cruel in the comics. Can’t wait to see it and thanks for the review. 

Edited by SimonNo10
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Crikey, interesting post @LHC and will influence me to have a look. I wonder if the release of Venom will feed into the next instalment of this?

Venom looks a bit scary for me. :D

Will be good to watch this one though as I was getting a bit over the Superhero movies, though Ragnarok was very amusing, an unexpected outcome. :D 

Haven't seen anything to top The Dark Knight yet, though I guess one shouldn't always compare.

Infinity War is worth a trip or two to the cinema; some elements of Ragnarok carried over, so I hope you find it amusing. It won't top The Dark Knight though; strong character development and story telling is not its strengths. It does match that Batman movie in intensity, and trumps it in terms of scale and action.

Venom is a Columbia/Sony picture, so it is unclear whether it will be linked to the mainstream Marvel/Disney movies. According to Wikipedia it may have some connections with the current Spiderman movie(s). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SimonNo10 said:

Coming from collecting comics some 20+ years ago, Infinity War changed everything when it was released. One of my favourite issues was the 2 part hard cover called Thanos Quest which showed how he obtained each Infinity Gem, which is completely different to how they have presented the Gems in the movies. 

I have waited so long for this trilogy to come to life and I’m seeing it tomorrow morning as I’ve been on shift. Sounds like they have done Thanos justice as he is relentless and cruel in the comics. Can’t wait to see it and thanks for the review. 

Good to hear from a fellow fan. Marvel/Disney have deviated a lot from fan-lore and comic canon. But because of their successes, they have become critic-proof. I guess fans, like ourselves, have waited so long for real life action movies, they don't really mind the changes. (contrast this to some LoTR fans that hated Peter Jackson's trilogy)

I would be interested to hear your take on Thanos motives in this movie (without spoilers if at all possible). 

Edited by LHC

I liked that Thanos wasn’t the 2 dimensional villain. He didn’t come across as malevolent always showing respect and admiration for his foes. He seemed to have a benevolent motivation which is why I enjoyed the movie so much. At last a non dumb downed villain. 

• Like 1

The character development for this movie occurs in the previous ?18 Marvel movies. There is so much action in this movie the only new character developments are between the guys who meet for the first time.

Kids loved it and I enjoyed the ending

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hugo_wilco said:

I liked that Thanos wasn’t the 2 dimensional villain. He didn’t come across as malevolent always showing respect and admiration for his foes. He seemed to have a benevolent motivation which is why I enjoyed the movie so much. At last a non dumb downed villain. 

Cant wait to watch this evening..only 3 hours to go.. :)

Ok I saw a morning session today. So did it live up to my expectations,  well short answer is yes. The first 10mins had me hooked and if they had carried that intensity throughout the movie well I would have been exhausted so I'm glad they took their time and focused on the characters and some personal relationships. I guess if I had to pick at it I would say that Wakonda for all it's technology basically relied on hand to hand combat for it's fighting. Why waste soldiers when you could use air attacks etc but others had that ability so I'll let that one go. Got to say Iron mans new armour is incredible and one of the highlights. 

Biggest and I mean the biggest disappointment was:

Spoiler

Where the hell was the Hulk in all of this. 2mins of screen time approx, I mean we are talking about the Hulk here and he now has confidence issues and is actually scared?? Come on. What should have happened was the Scarlet Witch should have unleashed him using the same technique she used in Avengers: Age of Ultron. I would have preferred him going crazy but still get beaten by Thanos or at least be removed somehow to fight another day. I still prefer the Edward Norton Hulk personally as it really showed that he doesn't give up. I do understand though that Thanos did possess the Power Stone and that in itself would make him unstoppable in a fist fight. I'm just sensitive as I'm a big Hulk fan.

The Black Order were incredible and true warriors of Thanos. Overall it was a great ride and I cannot wait until Avengers 4. I could say more but don't want to spoil it for others. It was worth the wait. Don't forget to wait until the very end of the credits. It may confuse some if your not into Marvel comics but nothing Google cant answer.

Edited by SimonNo10

On 26/04/2018 at 10:05 AM, Darren69 said:

As was mentioned, it doesn't match TDK for overall story telling or character development, but scale and non-stop action it definitely does. I also found the pace of the movie was great. Sure it was balls to the wall, but there wasn't a single moment where I looked at my watch or wondered how long was left to go. Whereas in TDK, I did.

I think those involved pulled off one hell of an achievement in bringing together 10 years and 18 movies into this one piece of cinema. It's not a movie you can appreciate unless you've seen (most) of the previous Marvel movies.

• Thanos was the star, a really well executed villian, one where you can understand and even empathise with his motives
  • Spider(boy)man was also really good in this - the casting of Tom Holland is better than all previous efforts because he (much) more accurately portrays the Peter Parker character - age, enthusiasm, naivety, wit...
  • Thor. Holy sh!tballs, we finally get a proper glimpse at his true power
  • Quill, for me, was mostly annoying/distracting in this. He fits perfectly into the GotG world where, so far, stakes haven't really been too high, but in this movie where EVERYTHING is on the line his character comes across as incredibly immature and unworthy to be involved
  • Stark's new IM suit was impressive, but more impressive was the attention to detail as his suit would try to adapt as it took damage
  • Can't wait to watch this again and definitely hanging out for part 2 next year
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, ~Spyne~ said:

As was mentioned, it doesn't match TDK for overall story telling or character development, but scale and non-stop action it definitely does. I also found the pace of the movie was great. Sure it was balls to the wall, but there wasn't a single moment where I looked at my watch or wondered how long was left to go. Whereas in TDK, I did.

I think those involved pulled off one hell of an achievement in bringing together 10 years and 18 movies into this one piece of cinema. It's not a movie you can appreciate unless you've seen (most) of the previous Marvel movies.

Watched it last night.  Agreed but TDK didnt have the number of characters A3 did and sufficient air time to cover each one deservingly.  I had to rush out for toilet break during the end movie rolling credits (P.S - you have time to duck out quickly) before the end of credits scene rolls in.

Yeah Thanos was a great villain.  Exciting and tense right up to the end with non stop action.  Teenage Groot finally pulls his socks up..lol.  Quill annoyed me a bit with his childish antics. Will add this to the bluray collection.

On 26/04/2018 at 10:05 AM, Darren69 said:

Great, great movie! I don't think I've heard a better soundtrack yet........?

• Like 1

Inception is amazing, I came out of the cinema going wow, saw it twice. And yep the OST is very good . Interstellar OST is also very and while I enjoyed the movie, it does get a bit trippy. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/05/2018 at 3:08 PM, cafe67 said:

Inception is amazing, I came out of the cinema going wow, saw it twice. And yep the OST is very good . Interstellar OST is also very and while I enjoyed the movie, it does get a bit trippy. 

Love it too!

Edited by Harford
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...