"Audio Music's R-T1 TVC valve preamp belongs in the top echelon of performance as do its assembly and finish quality."

Item: AM Audio Music RT-2 Silver preamp
Price: $4400 (RRP is $7,650 saving over $3000)
Item Condition: 8/10
Reason for selling: Upgrade/change of direction
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: 
Well I never thought that I would come to this point, but as we all know, this hobby is a cruel mistress...

Yes I am selling my wonderful AM RT-2 preamp. For those of you who have been fortunate enough to hear/use AM amps in their system, you'll know what this amp is all about. It's one step down from the 3 box RT-3 flagship, but if you've had the pleasure of hearing it you'll know its quite stunning in it's ability to bring music into your room if the rest of your system is up to it.

The build is amazing. Inside and out, its a work of art. The one thing you'll notice straight away is this amp is not one that will look old or dated in a few years. It also feels like a truck could drive over it and wouldn't even scratch it - the workmanship and quality is absolutely amazing.

The power supply is huge, making some power amps look puny. Internally it's wired up with silver wire, which is a step up from its brother the RT-1 which uses copper wiring. And no before you ask I don't hear any shrillness, brightness or dryness. Just a detailed, smooth, dynamic and open sound.

And the sound emerges from a black background... I don't know, I could start spouting superlatives... 

I’ve compared it with well respected preamps around the same price, but what you notice with this AM preamp is that it is sooooo quiet. You don't realise that amps are noisy till you (don't) hear a really great amp. Then the sound just appears in front of you unhindered without any noise or grain... and the dynamics are tremendous. They're unforced, just amazing. Hard to explain till you really hear it. It's a huge step up from anything I had used previously.

Another huge benefit is that I can play my music at low volume and it fills the room, it doesn’t shrink away. So late night listening is totally doable and you’ll still feel/hear the energy in the music - not many preamps will give you this consistency throughout the volume range, most just shrink the soundstage and dynamics as you turn the volume down.

This preamp can mix it with some very lofty company - Audio Note M8, Esoteric C-03, Nagra Jazz...

But I'll stop waxing lyrical about this preamp, and refer you to these reviews... (and yes, donation to SNA upon successful sale of this beautiful pre-amp)

Oh and before I go, I recently purchased a pair of Sovtek 6H30Pi EB Cryo Matched Pair tubes. I've put only a couple of hours on them, but honestly couldn't hear a difference, so would suggest the original valves still have plenty of life in them. Will throw them in to sweeten the deal.

And for interstate shoppers - yes I have the original boxes so will arrive safely, but may cost a bit to ship as this 2 box preamp literally will come in 2 boxes, and its damn heavy.

Hifi Wigwam

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/audio-music-805s-monoblocks-and-rt-2-preamplifier/

"The build quality of the AM 805Ss and the RT-2 is right up there among the best... With the lids of the RT-2 and its companion power supply removed, and the base plates of the monoblocks set aside it’s evident that the quality is more than simply skin deep. In addition to the own-build transformers Audio Music has copper foil capacitors of its own design manufactured in its own factory in Mexico. Am Fang and his colleagues liked what Jensen, Audio Note and a few others were producing, but didn’t like the prices, so decided to set up in competition. Audio Music U-Caps are the result...

Internally, the RT-2 especially is a work of art. It is properly dual mono from power chord onwards... Signal path capacitors are AM’s own U-Caps. The point to point wiring, all silver, is neatly executed. In all, it’s a joy to behold..

From that very personal perspective though, I think the RT-2 is a veritable blinder, able to mix it with some very illustrious and expensive company indeed. I tell you, it pushed my own Audio Note M8 hard into a corner. Nose to nose it asked: “You really worth that much, big boy?” Of course, and ultimately given the law of diminishing returns, the question is not so much one of £££s worth, but of sonic satisfaction. In others words eight point five tenths versus ten tenths – but for a lot, lot less money, if you want to characterise it that way.

The RT-2 is genuinely that good sonically, in my view."

6moons (reviewing the copper based RT-1 which is one step down in the range:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiomusic/1.html

"In my 11 years at this helm, I've never before come across a component this deserving of being called built like a tank. Think Burson squared. The canned TVCs are braced in massively machined aluminum retainers. So are the output and power transformers. The vertical tube board mounts its super-tight sockets to a massive aluminum plate whose back side doubles as mount for the associated circuit board. The grooved heavy-duty top cover locks into rabbeted place with eight long bolts passing with perfect fit through the overkill corner blocks...

Whilst one might rightly question whether this type of build is necessary—I don't think that Jeff Rowland shoppers would though—there's no question that Audio Music's designer is an extremist when it comes to mechanical construction...

The first sonic surprise was just how loud the R-T1 sounded at micro volumes. We're all familiar with hifi's mandate that escalating volumes ought to only go louder, not change with band-specific compression, stridency, brightness, hardness or other nonlinearities. Hardly anyone talks about the inverse. Things shouldn't collapse, shrink or disappear as volumes fade. It's probably a fortuitous combo of current drive, overall system resolution and speaker responsiveness that delays the inevitable sonic shrinkage which accompanies counter clockwise on the dial. Old-fashioned loudness controls were meant to compensate for HF/LF loss at pianissimo levels but none of today's high-end gear has them. Here the R-T1 set a new high in low. It maintained truly phenomenal intelligibility and substance all the way down into the very ambient noise floor of the room itself...

If you think on it, there's something very wrong with being held hostage by systems which only satisfy when played loud. Sometimes loud isn't appropriate or possible. Sometimes you're not in the mood for it. Should you settle for a lesser experience then or, worse, opt to not listen at all? If you relate, the Audio Music preamp up-ends such silliness (obviously your particular amp/speaker interface must be capable of transferring massive signal cut into proper fullness and detail - and many speakers just aren't). Very likely Fang's magnetic volume controls had something to do with this due to how effective their lot get as one turns them down. The upshot is that contrary to popular lore where tube circuits are inherently noisier than transistor equivalents to come second on resolving power, on low-down intelligibility with body the R-T1 thoroughly whupped ass on my Esoteric C-03 preamp and even outweighed my Nagra Jazz in the bass...

Conclusion. The R-T1 should be of particular interest to people of either hi-eff systems where deep attenuation is the order of the day; or those who routinely listen quietly but presently belabour a significant loss of substance whenever they do. Here the transformer-based volume controls excel at maximizing drive at very low signal voltages. It really was just a matter of time. Reference Chi-Fi has arrived. Audio Music's R-T1 TVC valve preamp belongs in the top echelon of performance as do its assembly and finish quality. It might take a few more years for this new reality to sink in. The few adventurous souls open-minded enough to already give this machine an audition should simply agree that this future is here now!..."

Pictures:

01.jpg

03.jpg

P1283445.jpg

P1283450.jpg

P1283452.jpg

P1283436.jpg

P1283440.jpg

P1283490.jpg

P1283493.jpg

P1283499.jpg

P1283506.jpg

P1283513.jpg

P1283515.jpg

P1283517.jpg

P1293528.jpg

P1293540.jpg

Edited by Max Headroom
Reduce amount of text, spelling corrections
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

This is a great preamp.....this is what Greg Osborne once wrote to me...

"The RT-2 is clearly better than the CAT Legend ($24,000) which is widely considered the Worlds  best pre. It makes it very hard for me to sell CATs...."

Unfortunately, there's still formidable bias against electronics from 'East' (crap from China)....even though you can see the built quality is second to none. 

GLWTS

Edited by pulinap

9 hours ago, pulinap said:

This is a great preamp.....this is what Greg Osborne once wrote to me...

"The RT-2 is clearly better than the CAT Legend ($24,000) which is widely considered the Worlds  best pre. It makes it very hard for me to sell CATs...."

Unfortunately, there's still formidable bias against electronics from 'East' (crap from China)....even though you can see the built quality is second to none. 

GLWTS

Thanks pulinap

Yep there is bias against electronics from the 'East', but anyone who exhibits that bias I just laugh at. If someone does have that bias, then they don't know what they are missing. For those in the know, it's just not a factor anymore...

• Like 2

I'm using the RT-1 copper wound version and think that to be the bees knees, so can only imagine what an improvement the RT-2 might be. Also like the separate L & R channel attenuators to help balance out my unbalanced room/recording/hearing.

Edited by PicoWattson

• 1 month later...

Hey Max, hope all has been good for you and yours. If still available, I have some questions. Sorry if I missed the info within what is already in the ad.

This is a 230v model?

Does it have a remote?

What are the dimensions when both components are stacked?

Is there an interconnection that’s long enough for them to sit apart?

Guest scumbag
31 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Hey Max, hope all has been good for you and yours. If still available, I have some questions. Sorry if I missed the info within what is already in the ad.

This is a 230v model?

Does it have a remote?

Remote? Wash your mouth out with soap.

This might help: http://www.am-hiend.com/product/r-t2.html

380W*340D*110H*(mm) X2

Cord length isn't stated but the OP can verify.

Damn this is a sexy piece of gear.

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag
6 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Thanks mate. Also shows height @ 110mm x 2.

Yah, 380W*340D*110H*(mm) X2. The 6moons review has a closeup of the coiled up power cable (umbilical?). It looks to be a decent length but mr maxheadroom can confirm.

Guest scumbag

17.png

The 6H30 tubes would be really expensive to upgrade - you'd have to go to the Russian ones that are super rare but the 6922's or other variants are quite reasonable to buy. Have some fun with toob rolling! 

On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Darren69 said:

This is a 230v model?

Does it have a remote?

Hey @Max Headroom did you want to comment at all? Or is it sold? Or crickets? Dog barks in the distance? :D 

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Red MacKay said:

In the absence of any word from Max, I'll chime in here. I know it was sold many weeks back.

☹️