7 hours ago, Johnny_Boy said:

With 4k/1080p/HDR there is a difference for sure, but i'm still not 100% sold on HDR. You really need a light cannon to get the benefits, and projectors still cant re-create the light levels required. It gets close, not not all the way there. 

Are you using the BT2020 filter when you use HDR?  If so try without since engaging that filter robs a significant amount of light.   

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, :) al said:

what size screen and what sort of output you getting on screen jb ? you want atleast 30FL for gains with HDR ie the step up from 12-16FL you use for SDR. with movies like blade runner 2049 this is perfectly adequate :) and good benefit with other titles all of which include HDR.

also HDR tends to work in with WCG for things like gains in colour volume which is often the wow factor :)

Ive got a 110" screen.

No idea about output, never measured it. I have a light meter at work I could borrow (we sometimes need to measure street lighting light output), I would say its a reasonable output but don't have numbers. 

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, Tasso said:

Are you using the BT2020 filter when you use HDR?  If so try without since engaging that filter robs a significant amount of light.   

Yes, using a calibrated BT2020 profile. It is brighter using the REC709 for sure but the colours don't look right. 

I have a white room that doesn't help things either. 

59 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Ive got a 110" screen.

No idea about output, never measured it. I have a light meter at work I could borrow (we sometimes need to measure street lighting light output), I would say its a reasonable output but don't have numbers. 

Yes, using a calibrated BT2020 profile. It is brighter using the REC709 for sure but the colours don't look right. 

worth doing, you want ~30FL of HDR ~12-16FL for SDR just assume gain of 1 if dont know screen gain :)

you definitely want bt2020 for UHD :)

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Using the filter dramatically affects colour balance right through the range, therefor a completely different colour calibration is required with filter engaged compared to no filter.

If you calibrate both modes properly there will be stuff all visible deference in colour, which is why many people run without the filter for UHD.

15 hours ago, :) al said:

you want ~30FL of HDR ~12-16FL for SDR

Its not as simple as that, its dependent on what gamma you use.

There is nothing to stop one using 30FL for SDR if gamma is adjusted appropriately and the result will look very similar to so called "HDR" video at 30FL on a projector.

To legitimately be called High Dynamic Range HDR needs to have a peak white level 10 or more times that of SDR. So if we consider 15FL appropriate for SDR on a projector we need 150FL for HDR or more depending on the video mastering.

Edited by Owen

Posted (edited)
On 12/7/2018 at 6:37 PM, Johnny_Boy said:

On 12/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, :) al said:

you definitely want bt2020 for UHD :)

I  didnt mean use REC 709.  My understanding based upon reviews and feedback from others  ( please correct me if i'm wrong) is that when HDR is engaged and you use say "Reference" colour profile, the JVC will use a wider colour gamut than rec 709.  Calibration,  as @Owen has suggested should improve colour noticeably.  Its worthwhile noting a comment made by  HDTVtest of the JVC 7000 projector "According to our measurements, Reference” was actually more faithful to the Rec.2020 UHD standard than the newly imported “BT2020“:

White Room- having just repainted a dedicated theatre from darkish colours to much darker with black  screen wall, I cant see how you can ever have optimal contrast and colours with light coloured walls. The differences are not subtle and it is a big upgrade to contrast, saturation, colour fidelity, enjoyment etc etc

Edited by Tasso

19 minutes ago, Tasso said:

I  didnt mean use REC 709.  My understanding based upon reviews and feedback from others  ( please correct me if i'm wrong) is that when HDR is engaged and you use say "Reference" colour profile, the JVC will use a wider colour gamut than rec 709.

absolutely not rec 709.  And you are welcome to use and do as you feel appropriate, whether its preset colour profile or gamma curves or even custom ones, you have the choice. All I am doing is posting what does actually work pretty well and will work for you average folk not creating custom curves. We are not Robinson Crusoe  wiht these projectors I myself have owned since day 1 , infact i was THE 1st in the world unboxing one and followed closely what others are achieving and they are to great result. if you want probably THE best resource for this pop into AVS and check out the autocal threads. all you can eat...

19 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Calibration

absolutely many of us have utilised the autocal procedure on the jvc to very good effect :) case closed.

55 minutes ago, Tasso said:

White Room- having just repainted a dedicated theatre from darkish colours to much darker with black  screen wall, I cant see how you can ever have optimal contrast and colours with light coloured walls. The differences are not subtle and it is a big upgrade to contrast, saturation, colour fidelity, enjoyment etc etc

absolutely. I found going from lighter carpet to charcoal one made a notable difference. However we all have our own constraints. and something I respect since I for one havent come across one room or system in all my years that hasnt had some compromise or the other. its more a case of understanding best what the constraints are and doing best you can with. in your dedicated room you have the freedom you do., but not all do and which case they do best they can. we all make choices be with equipment or rooms and even setup and configuration. enjoy what you have.

have you had a chance to calibrate your setup as yet ? 

7 minutes ago, :) al said:

have you had a chance to calibrate your setup as yet ? 

Its booked in for professional ISF calibration  - long lead time over here for things like that

Is auto cal only available on jvc x7000 and above?

4 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Is auto cal only available on jvc x7000 and above?

is available in earlier versions, eg was available as far back as your x35, but I think it was a bit questionable back then and in early days. the latest version though has compatibility with an accurate sensor to point even calibrators of highest repute eg ChadB who tours the US doing calibrations uses as part of his suite SDR/HDR calibrations on JVCs. 

Oh ok thanks. I will do it manually then :) is having an xrite i1 pro anygood for calibration ? My friend has one that I can borrow. He used it on his dell monitor. 

7 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Oh ok thanks. I will do it manually then :) is having an xrite i1 pro anygood for calibration ? My friend has one that I can borrow. He used it on his dell monitor. 

I’d suggest do some of your own research avs autocal threads are the gold mine. What we’re talking here don’t take relevant to your projector and the autocal thread here is only relevant to current generation xx000. The calibrated meter I had from curtepalm I moved on as not relevant