7 hours ago, bugster70 said:

@:) al, you're always so quick to reply with very helpful advice, thank you! Hmm, I had read about using the need to use Epson's lower settings for better picture quality on the forum before but had forgotten about this. Makes a bit of a mockery of the high lumens rating if you never use that setting I guess! Ok, I'm really glad I read this thread now because, as I said, I was literally about the go ahead with the TW9300 (was probably going to confirm the order/pay a deposit today!). Whew, thank goodness for this forum...

I agree the 5900 is the better projector, but you can also get the 9300 for $2,285 factory seconds from epson. Bargin!

https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

17 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

I agree the 5900 is the better projector, but you can also get the 9300 for $2,285 factory seconds from epson. Bargin!

https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

I wouldn’t ... can have refurb light engines ... how do I know ? Because I had a doa Epson they tried to fix with refurb light engine which even service agent thought was [email protected] 

eventually got swapped for new. Where do you think those rejected by John west go ?

they sell for cheap as they are for a reason :D

Might sound like I'm throwing money away, but my wife agreed to a max spend of $4K and that's what I intend to do (I figure $4.1K is close enough!) - and try to get the best PJ I can for that money. We hardly ever upgrade so if I go for a lesser PJ to save money now I'll probably end up regretting it. Just waiting on confirmation on pricing of the X5900 but intend to pull the trigger if/when that comes in...

I've had terrible experiences with Epson refurbished units in the past, for what it's worth. I think you've made the right decision to go with the JVC. Also, sealed optics = no dust blobs!

Just to throw another contender into the mix (and with apologies for taking the thread slightly off topic), is the general consensus that the JVC X5900 is a superior PJ to Optoma's UHD65???

On 02/05/2018 at 9:33 AM, bugster70 said:

I had read about using the need to use Epson's lower settings for better picture quality on the forum before but had forgotten about this. Makes a bit of a mockery of the high lumens rating if you never use that setting I guess!

Pay no attention to manufactures quoted lumens, they are only attainable in a "bright" mode that has horrible colour. After calibration to get the colour accurate, or at the very least using the most accurate preset mode the Epson wont be brighter then the JVC, it may even be dimmer.

Be careful, a projector is not a TV substitute and it will be heavily compromised unless the room is DARK, no matter what model you buy.

Posted (edited)

Thought I'd chuck up some photos.

Room when moving in.

497254369_initialroom.thumb.jpg.589a233fd7e163420a9636ed742900b8.jpg

Wall closed for screen.

wall closed.jpg

PJ test pre paint.

test pre paint.jpg

Edited by br0d0