TW9300 vs X5900

7 hours ago, bugster70 said:

@:) al, you're always so quick to reply with very helpful advice, thank you! Hmm, I had read about using the need to use Epson's lower settings for better picture quality on the forum before but had forgotten about this. Makes a bit of a mockery of the high lumens rating if you never use that setting I guess! Ok, I'm really glad I read this thread now because, as I said, I was literally about the go ahead with the TW9300 (was probably going to confirm the order/pay a deposit today!). Whew, thank goodness for this forum...

I agree the 5900 is the better projector, but you can also get the 9300 for $2,285 factory seconds from epson. Bargin!

https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

I agree the 5900 is the better projector, but you can also get the 9300 for $2,285 factory seconds from epson. Bargin!

https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

I wouldn’t ... can have refurb light engines ... how do I know ? Because I had a doa Epson they tried to fix with refurb light engine which even service agent thought was cr@p 

eventually got swapped for new. Where do you think those rejected by John west go ?

they sell for cheap as they are for a reason :D

Might sound like I'm throwing money away, but my wife agreed to a max spend of $4K and that's what I intend to do (I figure $4.1K is close enough!) - and try to get the best PJ I can for that money. We hardly ever upgrade so if I go for a lesser PJ to save money now I'll probably end up regretting it. Just waiting on confirmation on pricing of the X5900 but intend to pull the trigger if/when that comes in...

• Like 1

I've had terrible experiences with Epson refurbished units in the past, for what it's worth. I think you've made the right decision to go with the JVC. Also, sealed optics = no dust blobs!

• Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 9:33 AM, bugster70 said:

I had read about using the need to use Epson's lower settings for better picture quality on the forum before but had forgotten about this. Makes a bit of a mockery of the high lumens rating if you never use that setting I guess!

Pay no attention to manufactures quoted lumens, they are only attainable in a "bright" mode that has horrible colour. After calibration to get the colour accurate, or at the very least using the most accurate preset mode the Epson wont be brighter then the JVC, it may even be dimmer.

Be careful, a projector is not a TV substitute and it will be heavily compromised unless the room is DARK, no matter what model you buy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

My cinema guy here in perth has used these and shared the results

Epson

- Noisy on high lamp 

- LCD grid panel can be seen, the 4K shift does not seem to lose the pixel grid 

- lower quality build 

-Black levels average 

JVC

- Game mode = almost no delay 

- Powerful much more light on screen 

- great black levels 

- awesome build (based on all the higher end stuff) 

- Chip sets less likely to fail over LCD 

- 4K eshit makes the grid invisble from even 2m back on 3000mm wide screen 

Result 

JVC all the way 

Also 

Paint the room dark / ceiling black 

Feels like the real movie feel 

18 minutes ago, Aaronrotary said:

Hi

My cinema guy here in perth has used these and shared the results

Epson

- Noisy on high lamp 

- LCD grid panel can be seen, the 4K shift does not seem to lose the pixel grid 

- lower quality build 

-Black levels average 

JVC

- Game mode = almost no delay 

- Powerful much more light on screen 

- great black levels 

- awesome build (based on all the higher end stuff) 

- Chip sets less likely to fail over LCD 

- 4K eshit makes the grid invisble from even 2m back on 3000mm wide screen 

Result 

JVC all the way 

Also 

Paint the room dark / ceiling black 

Feels like the real movie feel 

Thanks. Sounds like I chose wisely :)

I do have to sort out the light walls in my room though.

Guys I see the X5900 is on sale for $3900.  I'm still using a Epson TW2000 (1080UB)  which has been fantastic.

I really dont intend playing with 4K content too much,  is it worth the upgrade?

Dedicated HT room, 4mx6m scope screen running Atmos 7.1, Yamaha 3070

9 minutes ago, zmacka said:

Guys I see the X5900 is on sale for $3900.  I'm still using a Epson TW2000 (1080UB)  which has been fantastic.

I really dont intend playing with 4K content too much,  is it worth the upgrade?

Most definitely! The image will be much better if you're watching proper HD material e.g. blu-ray discs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zmacka said:

It will do 1080p pretty well

if just planning 1080p an older x35 jvc or newer might be better option

otherwise if planning a diet of some uhd then x5000 or newer will be a good step forward :)

• Like 1

Thinking out loud I realise that via my Shield I could indeed stream 4K to the projector.  Whether that source is sufficient to make a significant visual difference I'm not sure.

On 02/05/2018 at 12:12 AM, :) al said:

just added complication, thats not needed in typical setups. since will need to buy ceiling plate, pole affix and yes aesthetically its just not as neat especially given in most setups I've seen the jvc able to be used directly ceiling mounted :)

but yeah if have taller than 2.7m ceilings and given specific arrangement there might be no other option but to use pole which i can appreciate.

Hi Al,

fyi i just installed my jvc x35 in the ceiling. My ceiling height is 2.75m and I was surprised with the lens shift that I did not need to use the pole. Just the prg-unv. Still an inch or so buffer for the vertical lens shift. I’ve got a 110” 16:9 screen. The bottom of screen is 71cm from floor.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Hi Al,

fyi i just installed my jvc x35 in the ceiling. My ceiling height is 2.75m and I was surprised with the lens shift that I did not need to use the pole. Just the prg-unv. Still an inch or so buffer for the vertical lens shift. I’ve got a 110” 16:9 screen. The bottom of screen is 71cm from floor.

That’s great to hear !  I’m similar in 2.7m ceiling abd also drop image down low for immersion :) side bonus is not so close to ceiling for reflections :)

The x35 are excellent units and one reasons so popular is flexibility in their install. Far more flexible than Sony and inflexible DLPs. Only units have come across more flexible are the Epsons inlens shift and zoom

that said I still didn’t trust the specs in x35 when originally considering I managed to borrow a shop demo over a weekend to check out. Fortunately worked out abd was so impressed with it. Good jvc has kept making to same parameters :)

great That picked up one of these wish many years enjoyment :)

18 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks Al. What would the next noticeable step up projector for 1080P from a x35?

id probably stick with it, as otherwise looking at quite a step in cost with the x7000/9000 series and later that brought the new light engine. 

the x35 is a very capable unit 1080p wise, so id use happily in the knowledge enjoying 1080p at a phenomenal level :)

9 hours ago, :) al said:

id probably stick with it, as otherwise looking at quite a step in cost with the x7000/9000 series and later that brought the new light engine. 

the x35 is a very capable unit 1080p wise, so id use happily in the knowledge enjoying 1080p at a phenomenal level :)

Thanks al :) I picked it up for $1400 that included a flocked fixed frame screen 110” 16:9. I thought it was great value. 

• Like 2

On 03/07/2018 at 7:32 PM, zmacka said:

Thinking out loud I realise that via my Shield I could indeed stream 4K to the projector.  Whether that source is sufficient to make a significant visual difference I'm not sure.

I stream 4k HDR stuff via my HiMedia Q10pro to my X5000.

Ive done some full 1:1 rips and cant tell the difference between 4k BD and the ripped version. 

With 4k/1080p/HDR there is a difference for sure, but i'm still not 100% sold on HDR. You really need a light cannon to get the benefits, and projectors still cant re-create the light levels required. It gets close, not not all the way there. 

On the other hand 1080p on the x5000 is incredible! Has so much pop

(my pj has been fully calibrated for different sources, and that makes a massive difference over stock)

5 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

With 4k/1080p/HDR there is a difference for sure, but i'm still not 100% sold on HDR. You really need a light cannon to get the benefits, and projectors still cant re-create the light levels required. It gets close, not not all the way there. 

what size screen and what sort of output you getting on screen jb ? you want atleast 30FL for gains with HDR ie the step up from 12-16FL you use for SDR. with movies like blade runner 2049 this is perfectly adequate :) and good benefit with other titles all of which include HDR.

also HDR tends to work in with WCG for things like gains in colour volume which is often the wow factor :)

30 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Hi al,

how do one measure the FL in the HT room? Interesting to see what my x35 is outputting at 3.5m to the screen :)

Thanks,

K.

its quite simple will need a light meter ...consider it the spl meter equivalent in the video space.

can buy something of good quality but not breaking the bank eg the below I have posted a link to and available locally 

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=3872122

all you do then is set it on a range so reading in Fc and in order of 0-50 or 0-100 or similar.

place it centre of screen and point back at the projector with a pure white screen displayed. (use something like wow disney or other setup discs for a white screen)

you then multiply the fc measurement by your screen gain. eg in my case its 1.1 so FL = Fc x screen gain

if dont know your screen gain can go conservative and assume 1. ie your Fc is your FL you are achieving.

can also measure around the screen eg at corners up top below see kind of spread you are getting 

for SDR ie dvd/blu-ray fta tv and such you want something in order of 12-16 FL at the centre. and use your lamp iris to adjust that down as wide open you are proabably achieving way way more than that.

for uhd people aim for 30FL at centre.