Best entry level turntable?

2 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Yep, absolutely. S#*t. So would going up ta a Rega Planar 2 be worth it?

How do they stack up compared to your PMC's?

Same difference...

19 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Great post mate. This just shows how many really nice TTs are out there for fcuk all money and any of the above listed would destroy an RP1 or Project debut. Of course, I will eventually upgrade my Hitachi but those who have heard it with the Shelter cart were actually shocked how good it sounded. ( I will avoid any boxing analogies)?

I should add that this is not my ego trip in any way, it is just showing that good sound is affordable and this attests to the inherent quality of these decks ,most of which are 30+ years old. In 30 years a Project carbon will have been in landfill for years.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Right. My old mate next door has some credit with a hifi store and wants to buy an entry level turntable. He has $600 to spend and ONLY can choose from these options. Which is the better unit?

Pro-ject Debut Carbon/OM10

Audio-Technica LP60USB

Pro-ject essential III/OM10

Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC/OM10

Rega Planar 1/Rega Carbon

Pioneer PL30

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Blake.

Audio Technica 

But not the one listed 

Start at AT - LP 120 USB

Then if on special 

Go for AT - LP 5 for the best bang for buck and a TT that punches above its weight 

Edited by Full Range

bought a second hand rega planer 2 with wood edged plinth for $150 off fleabay, put a moth arm and ortofon 2m bronze cartridge, it replaced a linn with mc cartridge, the difference in sound is not as great as the difference in purchace price of a rega versus a linn, still spin lots of vinyl regularly with great enjoyment

16 hours ago, sjay said:

How do they stack up compared to your PMC's?

Same difference...

The PMC's are of course a 'bigger' soundhowever the Ushers hold their own in certain types of music. The Ushers can be more detailed at times and are a perfect match with the Sansui.

On 26/04/2018 at 7:57 AM, aussievintage said:

The OP said they had credit at a hifi store and listed the ONLY tables they can choose from.  Not much point in recommending outside those parameters is there?

The comments on those parameters have been made. Nothing wrong with throwing in a few alternatives as well. As somebody said, maybe use the credit for another cartridge and work from there.

• 6 months later...

May I please ask - did you make a decision on what to get for old mate next door?  

The only reason why I ask is because I need to purchase an entry level turntable within the next month or so and so far am liking the look of the Pioneer PL-30.  They're just under $500 brand new (recently discounted from ~$600) and I'm quite attracted to it's fully automatic operation.  

I was also looking at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable with Ortofon OM10 Cart for around the same price.

Am interested in what you guys decide!

15 hours ago, misspennyjean said:

May I please ask - did you make a decision on what to get for old mate next door?  

The only reason why I ask is because I need to purchase an entry level turntable within the next month or so and so far am liking the look of the Pioneer PL-30.  They're just under $500 brand new (recently discounted from ~$600) and I'm quite attracted to it's fully automatic operation.  

I was also looking at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable with Ortofon OM10 Cart for around the same price.

@blakey72

15 hours ago, misspennyjean said:

Hi misspennyjean. I wouldn't touch the Pioneer personally. Not really a good design. My mate ended up with one of these:

https://www.vinylrevival.com.au/collections/turntables/products/project-debut-carbon-dc-turntable-inc-ortofon-2m-red-limited-edition