SOLD: Relist - another price drop! Auralic Merak Monoblock Balanced Power Amplifiers

SOLD

Item: Auralic Merak Monoblock Balanced Power Amplifiers 200W/400W
Price: $2,250  2,100 plus postage for both
Item Condition: 8/10 (a couple of minor cosmetic marks on top plates, front plates and sides are perfect)
Reason for selling: Freeing up some cash as moving house soon
Payment Method: Cash on Pickup, otherwise Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I had initially listed these as a package deal with my Auralic Taurus Pre Preamp, but have now decided to relist individually (Mark OKd this).

These were purchased from Addicted to Audio about 5 months ago. They were floor stock and I paid them 2,800 bucks, however the price new was north of $6,500!

They work flawlessly and produce a really incredible sound, which I would describe as powerful, precise, elegant and neutral, but far from col or clinical.

Each Monoblock is rated at 200W in 8ohm and 400W in 4ohm (continuous power). Both are fully balanced. They incorporate an innovative hybrid design (half way between class A and D, at least this is my understanding), in which the advantages of class D amplifiers (small size, efficiency, zero heating) are paired with those of class A/B amps (high energy storage, massive power supply, and great control on all speaker types, including difficult loads). Each mono block has a linear power supply and 56,000uF capacitors array and can store up to 120J of energy, while remaining 90% efficient. This means they run stone cold even with low impedance speakers at high volumes.

Each Monoblock has a circuit (which can be bypassed) that switches the amp on or off when a very low input signal is detected (or not detected), while keeping the output stage on at all times. This results in the amps being always ready to sound at their best (no need for any warm up time), while consuming virtually no energy when at idle.

These have only balanced line in, and each of them has a low level line out that is controlled from the preamp and can be used to send the signal to active subs or more amplifiers.

The exceptional quality of these mono blocks is confirmed in several reviews, including on SNA, where they were tested with the matching Taurus Preamp (that I am also selling separately). Here are some examples:

http://www.theabsolutesound.co...c-merak-mono-power-amplifiers/
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/auralic3/1.html
https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/auralic-taurus-and-merak-pre-power-combination/

Specs and user manual here:

http://www.auralic.com/download/MERAK_USERSGUIDE_R1.pdf

Specifications

Continuous Output Power;  200W/400W (8ohm/4ohm)
Peak Current Output:  >16 amp (40 ms)
Frequency Response:  20Hz - 20KHz, +/- 0.5dB
THD+N:  <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz@1W
IMD:  <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz@1W
Residual Noise:  <50uV, 20Hz-20KHz, A-weighted
Input Ports:  1 x XLR, Sensitivity: 2.2Vrms(RCA input requires adapter)
Input Impedance;  10K Ohm
Output Ports:  1 x XLR invert output ( for BTL mode)
1 x Cardas patented CE binding post
Damping Factors;  >800, 8ohm@1Khz
Optimized Loads:  2ohm to 16 ohm
Power dissipation:  warm-up mode: 5W
playback mode: 15W/450W (idle/max. output)
Dimension:  330W x 330D x 70H
Weight:  8.5kg 

I purchased them to drive my Magnepans 1.7, a notoriously very demanding speaker, which they did beautifully. I have now sold the Magnepans and do not require these anymore, plus I am moving to a larger house and I need to cover some extra expenses.

The original boxes are missing but given the small size, contained weight and simple shape these can be packed up professionally and safely posted

Pictures:

20180414_135859.jpg

20180414_140002.jpg

20180414_140037.jpg

20180414_140104.jpg

20180414_140111.jpg

20180414_140534.jpg

20180414_140727.jpg

AURA-IC MERAK inside.jpg

Edited by o2so
price drop!
  • Like 1

I reduced price AGAIN and this is starting to be a lil silly price. 

I am selling a pair of new generation, great sounding monoblocks that retail for over $6,500. They have received raving reviews pretty much everywhere, will drive any speakers including planar speakers, are compact, beautiful and energy efficient. All of this of just over 2 grand.

Second hand gear, even when relatively new, goes for about 50% of the retail price on SNA. I am selling these for LESS THAN 1/3rd OF THE RETAIL PRICE.

Cmon guys, if you are in the market for a power amp I believe this is the best deal that is currently on. By far.

58 minutes ago, o2so said:

I reduced price AGAIN and this is starting to be a lil silly price. 

I am selling a pair of new generation, great sounding monoblocks that retail for over $6,500. They have received raving reviews pretty much everywhere, will drive any speakers including planar speakers, are compact, beautiful and energy efficient. All of this of just over 2 grand.

Second hand gear, even when relatively new, goes for about 50% of the retail price on SNA. I am selling these for LESS THAN 1/3rd OF THE RETAIL PRICE.

Cmon guys, if you are in the market for a power amp I believe this is the best deal that is currently on. By far.

FWIW I have had luck selling the more left of centre stuff on Audiogon. These Amps are light and easy to ship (and I am guessing not hard to convert to 110) so it might be worth your while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spider27 said:

The speaker binding post looks unique. How is it to be connected to typical loudspeaker? Does it require special type of cables? 

No, they are designed to accommodate spades or bare wire. These are Cardas binding posts and all reviews praise the choice of Auralic of using these posts because they are supposedly better than standard binding posts. They are not great for bananas, but they do work with bananas too.

From Tone Publications:

I must give AURALiC kudos for including Cardas CE binding posts with the amps. Clamping a single knob down onto a tough plastic bracket holds my speaker cable’s spade terminations against the posts. And it’s so easy to get a good finger hold on the knob that I don’t need a post wrench (or a kung-fu grip) to get a tight cable connection

• Like 1

and more from Tone Publications:

the MERAKs strike a fantastic balance of timbral and tonal accuracy, major dynamic slam and a complete lack of fatigue.  Putting them through their paces with the KEF Blades, the Focal Maestro Utopias and the Dynaudio Evidence Platinum speakers proved the $5,000 US pair of AURALiC amplifiers were not out of place in a six figure system.

Hey, I am happy with any trusted members based in Sydney (or close enough to drive to Sydney) to take these home and give them a go in their system for three days or so. I am pretty sure the first one who tries these out will buy them, but I understand that many may have never had a chance to audition them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjth said:

Still FS? Most def keen. How much the bundle with the Taurus, too?

Hey mate, I only have the Monoblocks left. They are easy to drive with any preamp, I am currently listening to them fed by a simple DSPeaker Antimode Duel Core, which is a digital equaliser more than a preamp, and they sound great. PM me to discuss if interested. 

Edited by o2so

You got me all MExcited about the ME750 you bought recently, so I have now committed to an ME850 (at around the same price as your monoblocks).

Otherwise, it would have been excellent to run your (former) 1.7 Maggies.

Best of luck with the sale. At that low/ bargain price, those amps should sell themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

You got me all MExcited about the ME750 you bought recently, so I have now committed to an ME850 (at around the same price as your monoblocks).

Otherwise, it would have been excellent to run your (former) 1.7 Maggies.

Best of luck with the sale. At that low/ bargain price, those amps should sell themselves.

I bought that ME with the long term view to downgrade and free up some money, which I will need soon as we are moving to a larger place. Hopefully someone will pick up this bargain and get the Meraks off me soon. I will miss them but I need the cash to buy a scooter to ride to work as I will be too far from train station!

Edited by o2so
  • Like 1