Sign in to follow this  
StephenSLR

55" recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a new TV and wondering what some of you would recommend. I prefer the name brands and not too fussed about Smart TV's, I have a laptop for when I want to connect to the internet.

Price range around $1,000

There's a SONY KD55X7000E 55" LED 4K Ultra HD around the corner from where I live for under $1,000, a PANASONIC 55" FHD SMART TV TH-55ES500A and a SAMSUNG 55" Series 6 MU6100 UHD LED around the same price.

Happy to hear about alternatives.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

I went in to JB's to check out the above-mentioned Sony, Sammy and Panny; they all seemed pretty good. They were all in different locations, either around the corner from each other or facing each other so it was hard to compare side by side. I wonder if that's planned so you can't compare them?

I asked the salesman what he would recommend for around $1,000 and he said the one he bought for himself; with store discount I'm sure; was the Hisense 55" N7.  I asked why he chose that one and he said it has LG components and to get the same from a Sony, etc. you'd be paying a few hundred more.  There's a big sticker on the TV Choice TV of the year or something, it has a better refresh rate, etc. I also notice it's ULED as well.

Not to be done by salesman trickery I Googled the N7 and it's getting rave reviews, some also claiming the Hisense is their TV of the year too.

I'm now leaning toward the N7 unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

s

I bought a 65N7 a few weeks ago as I wanted best bang for buck 65". I've always bought high end, brand name electronics however after some research and checking out a lot of TV's decided on the Hisense.

Compared to my Pioneer Kuro 50" -

• on SD Pioneer significantly better
  • on HD not much in it. N7 greater detail. Pioneer just a bit better with motion.
  • on UHD, N7 is stunning, excellent blacks, detail and motion
  • Sound - N7 just average so plan to use external speakers

overall I'm very happy with my Hisense, understanding there are better TV's available but at higher cost.

^ It worries me a little that the Hisense SD is not so good as I do watch a bit of ABC ch. 22, 7Mate, etc.  A shame they don't screen SD format in store, lol.

Perhaps a bigger shame not all our stations broadcast all their channels in HD.

s

5 minutes ago, StephenSLR said:

^ It worries me a little that the Hisense SD is not so good as I do watch a bit of ABC ch. 22, 7Mate, etc.  A shame they don't screen SD format in store, lol.

Perhaps a bigger shame not all our stations broadcast all their channels in HD.

s

You’ll have to go to a store, not just one, but many and asked if you can hook onto SD content via free to air.   Once you get use to watching HD or UHD I can bet that you won’t even tune to does SD channels.

The reality is not many companies are going to concentrate on the SD.   And when you go to a  store, they’re not interested in demoing in SD.   

If no one you’ll find will do this then have a laptop that has HDMI out with some SD content loaded to be played.

The changing landscape of display panels is that there are model ranges appearing every 6-9mths.  What you purchase now is already superseded.  

Once you gauge which of has the better SD content, you other box to tick is the number of HDMI and USB ports and which ones are dedicated to UHD.  Some will provide USB with proper 1A supply so you can run a HDD. 

If I were in your shoes I’d get the cheapest that I’m willing to visually tolerate,  it’s no point in buying the latest and greatest and pay a fortune when 8K is now available and OLED that has severe image retention that has entered the market.

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

You’ll have to go to a store, not just one, but many and asked if you can hook onto SD content via free to air.   Once you get use to watching HD or UHD I can bet that you won’t even tune to those SD channels.

The reality is not many companies are going to concentrate on the SD.   And when you go to a  store, they’re not interested in demoing in SD.

Yep, hence my lol at stores not demoing in SD. I'm sure my eyes will suffer the shock from going from UHD to SD but I will still tune in as I love the programmes on some of the SD channels. Basically I just want to be able to watch them in decent quality, I'll be  happy as long as it's not the 'old VHS player' quality of the early SD stations when HD first came out. It literally looked like they hooked up a VHS player with old tapes to screen Cheers, etc. though I'll be watching the comedies on ABC2 and 7mate shows filmed with modern media.  I won't go as far as asking the stores to play SD for me; they'll think I'm nuts hahaha.

7 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

If I were in your shoes I’d get the cheapest that I’m willing to visually tolerate,  it’s no point in buying the latest and greatest and pay a fortune when 8K is now available and OLED that has severe image retention that has entered the market.

Exactly. This is why I set a budget of @$1,000 and looking to get the best bang for buck even if it's not a name brand. It was a different story to the old days when you had the same TV for well over a decade and the pace of technology was almost stagnant in comparison.

s

The next thing you need to do is check out what the policy is for after sale service.  

Some will replace with another unit if it’s faulty out of the box, others like Hisense will have to fill in a warranty claim and make an attempt to repair 1st.  JB hifi and Harvey Norman have excellent support.  My daughter purchased a Windows Phone that had a pixel failure out of the box while we were driving home,.  We dropped into another JB HifI store on the way home and that was exchanges or full refund no questions asked!   The same with HN,  a 55” Sammy out of the box had a HDMI port not working, again no question asked, replaced with another in a box! 

Edited:  I’ve never got that support from a dedicated HIFI shop ever!

Edited by Addicted to music

I went into another JB and asked the salesman if he could show me some FTA on their TV's and he said unfortunately they weren't hooked up to an antenna. It was the Centrepoint store so the reception probably wouldn't be the best in between all those skyscrapers.

I asked him what he thought would be the best for FTA TV and he said most likely the Sony as it had the best processor, followed closely by Samsung.

So I guess I might be getting the Sony.

s

Get the Aldi one mate. 65 inch and cost like 800 bucks. Plus its fourK. Heaps of pixels for the money:thumb:

25 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Get the Aldi one mate. 65 inch and cost like 800 bucks. Plus its fourK. Heaps of pixels for the money:thumb:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/09/is-aldis-799-65-inch-4k-tv-actually-worth-it/comment-page-2/

Id never consider any electronics from Aldi.  If it fails in 2yrs maybe they have a 8K oled for $800 :thumb:

Edited by Addicted to music

I ended up getting the Sony KD55X8500E from NAPF electronics. They matched the lowest price I could find however they didn't have any stock in store so I was without a TV for close to 2 weeks.

Looking at reviews this seems to be the common complaint against NAPF. I suspect they wait till they get your order then purchase from their supplier; I wish I had known that before I put down my money but otherwise happy with the purchase.

One thing I'm not happy with regarding Sony is the lack of detail in the owner's manual, it's largely dedicated to how to fix the TV's to a wall.  So far I can't figure out how to edit the programme list so when I hit the up/down button I don't get all the channels I don't want to watch. It shouldn't be this hard, I've never seen such a cumbersome method.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

On 12/05/2018 at 4:06 PM, StephenSLR said:

I ended up getting the Sony KD55X8500E from NAPF electronics. They matched the lowest price I could find however they didn't have any stock in store so I was without a TV for close to 2 weeks.

Looking at reviews this seems to be the common complaint against NAPF. I suspect they wait till they get your order then purchase from their supplier; I wish I had known that before I put down my money but otherwise happy with the purchase.

One thing I'm not happy with regarding Sony is the lack of detail in the owner's manual, it's largely dedicated to how to fix the TV's to a wall.  So far I can't figure out how to edit the programme list so when I hit the up/down button I don't get all the channels I don't want to watch. It shouldn't be this hard, I've never seen such a cumbersome method.

s

Better of using the Discover button to select your channel

29 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Better off using the Discover button to select your channel

I ended up deleting the channels I don't ever watch; which I'm not really happy about, if I ever want to get them back I have to retune. I placed the ones I rarely watch at the end of the list in the 900 slots.

I still prefer to use the guide and managed to create a favourites only guide but don't like having to hit a button twice to end up at the channel.

Yeah, I also managed to eliminate the 'all channel' Discover and now use the favourites only Discover; you don't get as much info as the guide but at least it's only one button hit to select a channel.

s

Edited by StephenSLR