which pc audio solution?

Hi All

I want to connect better speakers to my PC. At the moment I have a logitech UE boom 2 mini

The bass and sound gets distorted at higher volumes

Budget $300-400

I have some bookshelf dali concept 1s that I could use but I dont have an amp.

Id want a small amp if possible

https://www.dali-speakers.com/discontinued/concept/dali-concept-1/

If I use them I would only have a 2.0 system unless you can get an Amp with built in sub woofer?

I would also consider speakers like 
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29933/audioengine-b2-bluetooth-speaker-black-ash

I like the idea of smaller speakers and but want good overall sound.

Im using it mostly to listen to music 

I have a SPDIF fiber optic out on my mobo. I also have bluetooth. 

Any other desktop recommendations?

thx

Edited by snapper17

Hi

Do people usually have a subwoofer when listening to music primarily?

Would the audioengine B2 be a significant step up in sound then the UE boom?

I was thinking of getting an amp but it would take up alot of room. I would need to get a hifi rack as well to fit everything.

thx

Might be worth having a look at the Pro-Ject range of small box equipment and seeing what you can find in the second hand market - they take up very little space so work well on a desk. 

I'm currently using the S2 Digital as a DAC & Headphone Amp  but am looking to add the Power Amp to this at some point so I can move away from my Edifier computer speakers being plugged in to the headphone output on the S2 and put some 'HiFi' speakers in my home office instead.

Vinyl Revival in Melbourne carry a good chunk of the range if they might work for you.

8 minutes ago, snapper17 said:

Do people usually have a subwoofer when listening to music primarily?

Personally, I would never need a subwoofer because my amp and speakers do awesome bass - plain and simple. I also know a very experienced and successful recording engineer who won't have anything to do with subwoofers.

But there are a lot of audiophiles who totally love their subwoofers and usually have very sound reasons to justify their choices. It's a controversial topic to say the least and I certainly don't want to hijack this thread by restarting the debate. If you're not happy with the bass your current speakers are outputting then adding a subwoofer is often the easiest solution.

thx for the advice

ill keep an eye out in the classifieds

Vinyl Revival did have a suitable amp it was just out of my budget

To keep the costs down i would need to get an amp like black label suggested and get a rack to store everything in

• Like 1

Hi again, note that the amp I recommended does have a dedicated output for a sub should you wish to add one at a later date.

And further to PeteD's contribution above, i'm now of the latter camp having recently added a sub to my 2-channel set up. For me the purpose was twofold; one, I listen to plenty of ambient electronic music that often plumbs low frequencies, and two, I also use the same system when viewing movies for which purpose the sub adds much appreciated heft.

If you could find a set of Piccolo speakers your problem would be solved. Active speakers and what a sound they produce.

image.png.4e5e83df6c9da2f65b4021e355c54206.pngimage.png.855f749e106ddac42f7f53ba9e7c4f6d.png

• was self-amplified with 20-watt class D amps on each driver
  • ran 2.5" aluminum cone widebanders from Denmark's Peerless, one per side
  • sported a plug'n'play USB input plus an optical digital input from a CD player or soundcard plus an analog mini input
  • had a credit-card style remote
  • had soft-touch controls on one unit's front panel
  • had a claimed frequency response of 70Hz to 20kHz
  • ran off a 19V/3A DC power adaptor aka wall wart
  • measured 90 x 170 x 100mm WxHxD and weighed 700g each

Six Moons review of them here>> Click

More pics of unit here at the Korean website.

The sound like it says in the review is ridiculously good and you couldn't sit in front of them at a desk and have them at full volume.

They are hard to find but as a solution that doesn't require amps or equipment racks, active speakers would be a neat and tidy solution to your search.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd try to use your Dali's. But you'd have to set them up a little away from your desk - perhaps in open space i.e. sitting position against the wall, facing the open space. 

Over the years I've experimented a lot with desktop speaker setups, and I was never satisfied with the frequency response in this scenario. 

The only near-field desktop systems I've heard that were good were purpose-built home / professional recording studios, with acoustic damping and insulation etc.

Personally, I think all the commercially marketed 'desktop speakers' are a total waste of money - not to mention overpriced.

Edited by was_a