Replacement after market cable for HD800

Hi all,

Due to unfortunate events my ZY Cable for my HD800 is practically broken (have to curl the cord around to get it to work on the left ear), and I do not have a stock cable for these so now I'm in need of another cable.

The ZY Cable came with my headphone from my friend and although it is braided I feel like I need something more durable than to just buy another one, does anyone have any recommendations (except being more careful :P) for a cable? I saw the black dragon v2 https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/moon-audio-dragon-cables-black-dragon-v2-fostex-4xlr-5ft and cardas cable https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/cardas-headphone-cable and I'm just curious on what everything thinks of them, I do have an XLR to 1/4" cable so I can convert the black dragon over. I believe they sell 1/4" cables on their site but its in USD so it looks like it will end up costing more than local stock.

Just to help with the recommendations, although I think cables make a difference - I think at this point the difference between these two shouldn't be that great (I think I won't really notice the changes in bass, or detail, etc) - I'm just curious on if people have or had these cables and what their experiences are. Like I said I'm looking for something durable so maybe if someone can weigh me in on those that would be appreciated.

Of course as well any other cable recommendations apart from the two above are appreciated too! I noticed these ones since they are at a local retailer but if there's any other people know please let me know.

Cheers.

EDIT: For pricing maybe the $400 range as a max, thanks.

Edited by zypr

You could try these guys:

https://periaptcables.com/

I had a 4 pin XLR cable made for my HD 600. It’s good quality, but I can’t comment on the sound, as it’s the only aftermarket cable I’ve tried. If you do try, maybe don’t take the $10 shipping option, as mine went around the world eastwards by sea and took over 2 weeks!

• 9 months later...
On 22/04/2018 at 7:56 PM, PleasantSounds said:

In terms of durability the stock cable would be hard to beat.

You can get it for $250 directly from Sennheiser

Opinions on durability differ. Unless Sennhieser have changed from the insulation they used to use on their HD800 cables, the longevity could be in doubt.

Here is an opinion from another forum:

Why $200 cable shield of the HD800 is less durable than a $1 cable shield?

I saw two cracks on my Sennheiser HD800 Headphones cable today. I really didn't do anything to cause that. after looking closely I saw many small cracks on the cable. cable shield is cracking down and making the cable naked.
some parts of the cable is without cable shield now! Just like the picture that this guy posted in the head-fi forums.

and that's just the cable. Headphone headband and ear pads are so cool at first. they have good quality at the first month but after awhile you see top layer of the fabric falling down just like black powder.

I'm not against HD800 and I love its sound quality. I know these things can be replaced but why these things happening to this product? Why $200 cable shield of the HD800 is less durable than a $1 cable shield?

I really came to the conclusion that when you buy a German product, you're not using it. you just simply maintaining it at any cost!

I had the issue of prematurely failing insulation for HD800 phones and I have recently replaced (see https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/262156-low-cost-solution-for-repairing-frayed-hd800-headphone-cable/) the connectors at the phones end of the cable.

Edited by MLXXX

• 5 months later...

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/

Try the Draug 3. The Draug series is legendary for bringing out the best from an HD800. 

Norne cables are created like works of art but priced VERY competitively. I buy a lot of aftermarket cables from many manufacturers but my go-to is Norne. 

I use a Draug2C (precursor to the Draug 3) for my HD800. Very happy with it. 

Done A-B tests, etc and Norne are fantastic. Just got a Silvergarde SX for my Noble K10 (the 10th different aftermarket cable I've tried with it) and it's mind-blowingly good. 

He ships to Australia obviously. There's sometimes a bit of wait time while he makes it but if it's urgent, let him know. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Trying my luck on reviving an old post.

I'm currently looking for HD800s cable replacement since my moon audio black dragon cable's right side is broken.

OP, what did you end up buying? @zypr

On 25/04/2018 at 9:05 AM, sakabatou said:

I had a 4 pin XLR cable made for my HD 600. It’s good quality, but I can’t comment on the sound, as it’s the only aftermarket cable I’ve tried. If you do try, maybe don’t take the $10 shipping option, as mine went around the world eastwards by sea and took over 2 weeks!

Are you still happy with this Periapt cable?

The price seems to be quite decent.

13 minutes ago, lycos said:

Are you still happy with this Periapt cable?

The price seems to be quite decent.

to be honest, I haven't used the 600s much recently. 

The Periapt cable sounds better than the stock 6.3mm, probably due to balanced drive, rather than any inherent superiority.

The connectors are very tight, but that's common for Sennheiser. As for durability, I think I only have a couple of dozen hours on it, so can't say

3 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

The Periapt cable sounds better than the stock 6.3mm, probably due to balanced drive, rather than any inherent superiority.

Thanks. 
Do you find it comfortable?

Is it stiff and/or microphonic?

3 minutes ago, lycos said:

Thanks. 
Do you find it comfortable?

Is it stiff and/or microphonic?

Comfort is fine - it's not stiff.

Microphony is there - but I've had worse. It is more microphonic than the unsleeved stock cable though

• Like 1