Chasing The Ultimate

Hi there

I've just joined Stereo.net but I'm at the back end of my chase for the ultimate.

I lived and worked in the US several years ago and took the opportunity to get some good gear. I went into a high end retailer in New Jersey expecting to buy something like Bang and Olufsen or even (take a deep breath) a Bose system but was introduced to some high end valve gear and top quality speakers. I had never heard anything as clear and magical before and before I knew knew it I had embarked on a search for the ultimate. I just had to have it. Many of you won't be surprised to hear that my wife was horrified.

I started off with Vandersteen 2CE Signature series speakers and Quicksilver Audio M60 tube amplifiers with an Anthem CD1 CD player a Quicksilver Audio tube pre-amp. These were quickly supplemented with a 3rd Quicksilver amp and Vandersteen surround speakers - a VCC1 centre speaker, a pair of VSM1 surround speakers and a 2WQ sub woofer. Upon returning to Australia the tube pre-amp was replaced by a Theta Casablanca III which proved a balanced way of getting good quality music and surround sound out of the one system. 

Now we come to the new chapter in my chase for the ultimate. We are downsizing from out big family home to a much smaller bungalow and I have reluctantly agreed to downsize my system (Wife says yay!!!). The big Vandersteens have been replaced by a pair of bookshelf sized Vandersteen VLR Woods (Caxton Audio - thank you David) and the 3 mono block Quicksilvers (and Rotel 2 channel for surrounds) have been replaced by a 5 channel Rotel RMB 1095. 

The move from the tube preamp and Anthem CD1 was a step down. The move from the valve amps to the Rotel is definitely a step down. But at this stage in my life they are good enough. My search for the ultimate continues but I have enough and I am happy

Cheers

Paul Aroney

Edited by Solar Paul
finessing the details