Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
TerryO

Valeb LCR-1 Mk2 RIAA Phono Stage Comparo

Recommended Posts

So I received an update from Kevin last week. He's still not got to the bottom of it and has decided to just replace the entire board which will mean another few months of break-in when it returns. It should be on it's way back in a week or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how happy are all you Valab owners?  It’s on my possible upgrade list (from a Black Cube SE), although I’m enjoying the Lehmann, so nothing will change for a while.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very happy.  The Valab LCR-1 is one of those components you never sell. It's completely transparent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Very happy.  The Valab LCR-1 is one of those components you never sell. It's completely transparent.

Cool Matt.  And I see you’re finding nice cart’s.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just selling off most of my cart collection. If I can get down to 10 favorites that'll be great :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like mine has finally returned from Kevin's repair as I received the delivery attempt card yesterday from Canada Post. I'll post my thoughts about the whole thing after it's settled in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone compared the Valab to a Lehmann Black Cube SE?  I have the latter, and keen to hear the former back to back.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update: 5 months since the return from factory repair & the Valab is purring along just nicely.

 

Sidebar: I recently purchased a DRT XV 1-s and finally managed to get it dialed in with the help of the AnalogMagik software. The difference between "good enough" and "dialed in" is quite shocking. I recently had a few cartridges pass through my system incl the Lyra Delos & a Hana ML. All 3 have completely different sonic signatures but the Dynavector is the winner to me with the Delos a close second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 03/01/2020 at 1:11 AM, shawnwes said:

I recently had a few cartridges pass through my system incl the Lyra Delos & a Hana ML. All 3 have completely different sonic signatures but the Dynavector is the winner to me with the Delos a close second. 

Did the Hana rate well against those cartridges?

 

The positive reviews have been pouring out about this cartridge and about its ability to keep up with carts many times it’s price. Is it BS? Or is there some truth in it. 
 

Thanks in advance Shawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll start off by saying the ML is a Very good cartridge! Very big soundstage with great detail. Read on...

 

...I purchased all 3 cartridges second hand with low hours & only lived with the other 2 for a short while & my comments are system & taste dependant. While I preferred the Hana ML to my previous cartridge, Dynavector DV20X2H, I do think that the other 2 outclass it & at almost double & quadruple the street price they should. If I'd upgraded just one level from the X2H to the ML the review would be a rave about how much of an improvement it was. However I decided to go 2 or 3 levels beyond it based on other users reviews of the XV 1-s and Delos. 

 

That being said there are diminishing returns as more $ is spent. The Delos, to my ears, is worth saving and waiting for and a steal at the price. Had I not purchased the XV 1-s & the Delos at the same time I most likely wouldn't have upgraded to the XV 1-s at 3.5x the price of the Delos. It's that good & worth the extra $ over the ML. My ears, my system, my choice & YMMV.

 

The beauty of the Dyna is that it's by far the quietest and most neutral cartridge I've ever heard...like CD quiet!

 

To whet your appetite I've attached the best pic I was able to take of the ML stylus with my usb 'scope. This cartridge does deserve it's rep and it probably is as good as it gets in that price range. It doesn't best the other 2 cartridges in this discussion but if you're upgrading from a lower end cartridge this might blow the top of your head off!

 

 

WIN_20191124_14_01_37_Pro.jpg

Edited by shawnwes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shawnwes said:

I'll start off by saying the ML is a Very good cartridge! Very big soundstage with great detail. Read on...

 

...I purchased all 3 cartridges second hand with low hours & only lived with the other 2 for a short while & my comments are system & taste dependant. While I preferred the Hana ML to my previous cartridge, Dynavector DV20X2H, I do think that the other 2 outclass it & at almost double & quadruple the street price they should. If I'd upgraded just one level from the X2H to the ML the review would be a rave about how much of an improvement it was. However I decided to go 2 or 3 levels beyond it based on other users reviews of the XV 1-s and Delos. 

 

That being said there are diminishing returns as more $ is spent. The Delos, to my ears, is worth saving and waiting for and a steal at the price. Had I not purchased the XV 1-s & the Delos at the same time I most likely wouldn't have upgraded to the XV 1-s at 3.5x the price of the Delos. It's that good & worth the extra $ over the ML. My ears, my system, my choice & YMMV.

 

The beauty of the Dyna is that it's by far the quietest and most neutral cartridge I've ever heard...like CD quiet!

 

To whet your appetite I've attached the best pic I was able to take of the ML stylus with my usb 'scope. This cartridge does deserve it's rep and it probably is as good as it gets in that price range. It doesn't best the other 2 cartridges in this discussion but if you're upgrading from a lower end cartridge this might blow the top of your head off!

 

 

WIN_20191124_14_01_37_Pro.jpg


Thanks for the update mate. Good to hear someone other then reviewers spruiking  about the cart. 

I appreciate your honesty. With reviewers stating that it’s very close to multibuck Koetsu carts, then you generally take that with a grain of salt. Seems it’s definitely worth the money but can be beat by simply doubling your ‘investment’. 
 

I think though like the Jico Seto-Hori; this cartridge is just a tad heavy for my tone arm. I don’t think this will be an issue though as the resonant freq calculation is still within what I’ve read is acceptable. 
 

Edited by Mungbean66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, almost unbelievably I'm putting my Valab LCR-1 Mk2 up for sale in the Classifieds. I'm getting a matching R2R DAC and phono stage with lovely wood fronts from Abbas Audio in the Ukraine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


13 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Well, almost unbelievably I'm putting my Valab LCR-1 Mk2 up for sale in the Classifieds. I'm getting a matching R2R DAC and phono stage with lovely wood fronts from Abbas Audio in the Ukraine. 

Have to done a one to one comparison...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2020 at 12:09 PM, pulinap said:

Have to done a one to one comparison...?

No..... Unfortunately I need to sell the Valab just for funds. The Abbas Audio DAC is actually the same as the SW1X LPU 2 though with high end NOS components and no silver used throughout.

 

Mr Abbas is the engineer behind the circuit in both brands. I suspect at worst a sideways step or slightly back. Thing is I'm extremely space limited and need to stack the DAC on top of the phono stage for everything to fit so aesthetically I need both to be the same brand.

 

Most threads about his Abbas branded gear is in Russian though watching YouTube videos has his DAC's and phono stages paired with some seriously expensive gear. I think it'll be fine.

Edited by MattyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...