Sign in to follow this  
Steffen

Sony AVR demoted

I bought a Sony STR-DN860 a couple of years ago and have been using it as the hub of my home theatre setup. It was working fine, and switching audio/video sources was a breeze. I bought it specifically to be 4K-ready for when I would replace my ageing Bravia TV with a 4K model.

The Bravia has now been replaced (after 10+ years of service) with an LG OLED B7. I also replaced my Apple TV 4 with the 4K model. What came to light next was of course the Sony AVR's inability of passing through higher bandwidth 4K HDMI signals, as required for HDR. This shortcoming has been discussed at length in various forums lately, and people have been imploring Sony to fix this via firmware update since at least 2016. I was kind of hopeful that this update might have occurred recently, since the screen setting menu of the AVR offers things like 4:4:4 chroma and deep colour HDMI output. However, HDR signals delivered from the AppleTV 4K yield nothing but black screens.

I did what was commonly recommended as the work-around in this situation, I plugged the AppleTV 4K straight into the TV, and used ARC for the sound back to the AVR. This works without any issues.

Most importantly for me, It turns out that the ARC between LG TV and Sony AVR actually supports Dolby Digital Plus, and I have seen the AVR display indicate things like "3/4.1" when driven this way. This softens the blow considerably, but the AVR has now been relegated to decoder/amplifier duties. The new hub of the home theatre is now the TV. This is no big deal in practical terms, especially given the brilliant LG remote, but still bothers me a bit conceptually. I think I will (have to) get used to it, because I'm not planning to upgrade the AVR any time soon. Unless, of course, I come across a really good deal :)

3 hours ago, Steffen said:

I did what was commonly recommended as the work-around in this situation, I plugged the AppleTV 4K straight into the TV, and used ARC for the sound back to the AVR. This works without any issues.

I think I will (have to) get used to it, because I'm not planning to upgrade the AVR any time soon. Unless, of course, I come across a really good deal :)

It would bother me too ;especially relying on ARC which is thankfully getting the boot for the more reliable E-ARC soon enough ?‍♂️

Ide certainly consider an AVRKey  if its just the one 4k source https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdfure-avrkey/

Or for a couple ;get a vertex :)

Edited by cwt