Bluesound Vault 2

@Luc

FWIW, my Bluesound Node 2 has worked flawlessly since the first day, including earlier, when I had my music files on a network. I would go as far as to say that it has been a much better experience than the three Squeezeboxen that I owned.

Its a bummer that you are not enjoying yours as you should.

• Like 1

So what you guys are saying is that you don’t even have to store the files on the products HDD..  stick a HDD on its USB slot....   doesn’t matter whether the USB stick or HDD is formatted to FAT or NTFS it can see it and play!

if I were to get this it’ll be the Vault 2, so I have a second alternative to the OPPO ecosystem.

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

this is an issue with new gear like the blue sound and it has been around a while. but things like disc players you dont go to use and it tells you it needs to do an update...when all want to do is listen to some music

am curious why you are using BT. I would have thought you would have just picked it up on wifi. but in anycase I share your pain if all you want is to listen to music and instead the player has headed off to "find itself"

with the blue sound it should be simply matter off switch on. doesnt have to be on the network I dont think.

open the app on the phone and select a player which  ...  long as phone is on wifi connection it should find the player and do the rest. i would just plug a usb stick in it with music on it for starters. perhaps things getting a tad complicated to find your pc etc. anyways fingers crossed for you ! 

Oh it's all on the wireless network al and I've linked all the 'discoverable devices' to that network which in turn the PN2 has in some cases discovered and recognised them but then it forgot them all and my networkshare.

Which is my music folder. The same music folder I could shove onto an ext hdd and be done with it and plug it into the PN2 but I don't want that, it can do better than that, much better apparently.

I want it to see my music folder(my networkshare if you will)in it's proper location which is in another room located in my PC and it's a live folder in as much as I point all my music downloads to it and then in theory what you do is is reindex your library(which in my case is my networkshare...my music folder) when ever you want the PN2 to see and play your new music.

Constant cycling of the modem/router and install/uninstalls/powering off your ph/powering on your ph...shouldn't be needed but that's what is happening at the moment.

Hopefully it'll get sorted.

And al, another thing that I find wrong with the idea of just plugging a ext hdd into the thing is that it's a bit like having a 4wd and all you do is drive it around the city  and you never engage the 2 ranges available and take it off road. The PN2 is designed to pickup all your music in all it's formats digitally and output a respectable wattage to the speakers you have plugged in or   work with BT speakers.(my next purchase)

I'd like to see it work to it's true or advertised potential.

Wal that's great and I hope to get there. I'm using a PN2 as opposed to your Node2.(I think)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Luc can you always see the node in the bluos app under my players at all times?

when I open the app. it tends to find my player. which it does in a flash. once there its there. hopefully same for luc ? 

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

I'd like to see it work to it's true or advertised potential.

understand... just trying to take it in one small step for the power node2 (rather than one giant leap for mankind ) :D to play some music for starters off a usb stick or something ... so atleast know it works hehe 

@Sime

can you always see the node in the bluos app under my players at all times?

No and that is the current problem, it's not immediately 'discovering it'.

It has in fact just locked up saying no players detected and that is on the ph app and the PC app

I've got it going as of this moment due to doing everything I listed above. So yes it's playing and it is listing in the 'Library' my networkshare.

Hopefully in the morning when next I'll be able to trial it, it'll still be working and I can begin to categorise my networkshare and get some presets up and running.

The wife is in the loungeroom at present watching her TV and the PN2 sits quietly awaiting a command...

I'm ensconced in my soundroom staring at this monitor.

So all experiments have ground to a halt for the evening.

Edited by Luc
  • Like 2

@Luc I’m no expert, but my guess it’s more an issue with the network more than the node. I’m like @wolster and others, never ever have issues with mine and the two I’ve got are both on WiFi and the other is Ethernet. 

Yes it’s a crap situation you have, but networks are a Schit in times like this, and I wish I had a solution for you. 

2 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Luc I’m no expert, but my guess it’s more an issue with the network more than the node. I’m like @wolster and others, never ever have issues with mine and the two I’ve got are both on WiFi and the other is Ethernet. 

Yes it’s a crap situation you have, but networks are a Schit in times like this, and I wish I had a solution for you. 

Thats ok and thanks for the thoughts.

Networking is never easy I've found and when your dealing with Windows and Windows 10(L) in particular with it's constant and intrusive updates(whether you want them or not 0-o) you quite often get up in the morning to find your pc which in my case runs 24/7 has updated and awaits your password to open up and when you do...Bill Gates has been in and rearranged things to the way M$ likes to see things.

and that quite often means that peripherals get dropped by the wayside or windoze Defender has decided it'll block certain things despite your specific exceptions.

This I'm sure has something to do with the problems I'm experiencing.

Fingers crossed tomorrow it gets sorted.

2 hours ago, Luc said:

So currently waiting for the sun to rise in NYC

The sun has arisen in the city that never sleeps...

But being Sunday morning you might have to wait until after church...

A quick trip the the confessional to rid yourself of all that blaspheming...

May just be the ticket to clear the wireless networking issues...:):)

PS Just got a new laptop with WIN 10...what a PITA product it is...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

oh gosh... that was forced upon me... but to buy into willingly... ? must be sucker for punishment :D 

ps I don use my work laptop with the node... but there is a certain bug with win10...it tends to forget it has a network card ... can you believe it ? I've had to "uninstall" the network card... by deleting it off control panel and then having it find it again to re configure ...so can find my network !  the joys ... thank goodness not had to do that in a while ?

6 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

It’s not the only PITA product around, there’s worst!   And people wonder why once they updated to 10 why none of the  previous stuff works!     And then I’m asked to resolve it,  like I’ve got this magic wand when it’s got nothing to do with us!   The morrow of the post is don’t update to 10 u less you have confirmation to say it’s supported by 10.....   and yes M$  sucks!  So does other products that runs on it!

Luc's problems sound just like what I had with my Squeezebox, always dropping off the network, having to be rebooted, router/modem restarted, restarted again, reconfigured and then still nothing. Then next day OK, only to drop off next time I tried to use it etc

I've been much more lucky with the Vault2. Only had one major drop out after about 6 months of flawless performance, which was solved by doing reboots of the modem and Vault. Once every few months the lappy (using Win 10) might not find the Vault2 on the network but all I need to do is turn the laptop off and on again.

Never had to delve into the registry or fiddle much with the network settings, touch wood. Even when updating the BluOS the Vault2 automatically reboots itself, so for me at least it really has been a case of plug and play.

But as Luc alludes,  I'm only driving my 4x4 around the city. ;)

• Like 2

@Citroen  and a very lovely city it is too Cliff.

Bluesound have replied to my email.

1) Disconnect the power from your Bluesound Player
2) Connect an Ethernet cable directly to the Bluesound Player, which goes directly to your router
3) Connect the power back into the Bluesound Player
4) Wait until the LED is solid blue on the top of your Bluesound Player
5) Open the mobile BluOS controller while connected to the WiFi network of your home
6) Do you see your Bluesound Player?

That's a PITA too but...I'll give it a whirl

.@Rob181  I feel for you brother. There is absolutely nothing I like in W10 that I didn't like in W7.

Mrs Luc has gone vegan now and dumped her android devices and is now Apple ph&ipad and all without a hint of superiority or a sly look at the swearing old man in his cave who wants to f***Bill Gates apparently.

• Like 1

I know it's a bit of topic drift( and  @:) al feel free to move it to the right Bluesound thread if you wish) but I've been thinking about bluetooth speakers and the PN2.

Could you for instance have it hooked up to normal speakers via cables and also have it connecting to a set of BT speakers in another room?

Also, what about connecting it wirelessly to active speakers? Pointless seeing as it's an amplifier perhaps?

12 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I received no reply to my email query to them.

I've had immediate replies Daz, and they scheduled an agreed time and then an expert rang me from New York just last week and took over my PC for 15 minutes and couldn't of been more helpful.

First rate service so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now looking at the Naim Uniti-Core, more exxy but I like it. Seems more robust in design, am thinking I will stick with my fave digital IC's, the Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus, BNC to RCA. Then will need to get a back up NAS. @Sime you still using your Clearer Audio IC? Will buy it back if it's in a draw somewhere, otherwise I'll get another newie. They are awesome so I imagine it's still conveying 1's and 0's.

Chatting with the always amazing @DoggieHowser :) 

Edited by Darren69

9 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Now looking at the Naim Uniti-Core, more exxy but I like it. Seems more robust in design, am thinking I will stick with my fave digital IC's, the Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus, BNC to RCA. Then will need to get a back up NAS.

Chatting with the always amazing @DoggieHowser :) 

Hi Dazz.

Your idea about the Uniti Core is a very good one.

I have seen and heard these demonstrated several times by Michael at Atmosphere Audio ( Adelaide ) and although they are several times the price of the Bluesound unit they are worth every cent and are a lifetime purchase IMO.

I should add that I am not and never have been, a Naim crusader but this Uniti series is deeply impressive.

If I were ever to consider going into streaming and networked music, this would be a walk up start for me. The interface and ease of use in general is just superb and the application for phone or tablet ( both formats ) is second to none.

As stated, they look expensive at first glance, but you won't be listing it in the classifieds because of dissatisfaction, anytime before you are a very old man.

My 02.

• Like 1

if looking at naim....should also look at linn in my opinion who have been doing the streaming thing for quite a while (since 2009 when they stopped making cd players) so with a pretty mature solution I think. 

what has always worried me wiht the naim is resale.... its almost like a big hairy mammoth in the room...when these units are not cheap and if ever moving on. tech also moves on so fast in this space.

I think thats where something like the blue sound node2 comes in, its not a huge outlay in scheme of things and reasonable resale. so if dipping any toes or any sort of body parts :D in to invest in streaming its a good way to go in my opinion.

I dont think any of the conversations here should be taken as the node 2 is some hairy monster that needs a chair in hand  and ether net cable in other to try get a handle on. it can be plug and play especially if just stick to basics as I have. no doubt start going more elaborate will bring complexity as with any system and may not be the best first step for someone venturing into this sort of thing.

am no novice with streaming, have used quite a manner of devices over years, even went down the pc path and junked that. but i can see simplicity and stuff that doesnt get in the way of the music enjoyment experience. which is at end of it the all important me :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rantan said:

Hi Dazz.

Your idea about the Uniti Core is a very good one.

I have seen and heard these demonstrated several times by Michael at Atmosphere Audio ( Adelaide ) and although they are several times the price of the Bluesound unit they are worth every cent and are a lifetime purchase IMO.

I should add that I am not and never have been, a Naim crusader but this Uniti series is deeply impressive.

If I were ever to consider going into streaming and networked music, this would be a walk up start for me. The interface and ease of use in general is just superb and the application for phone or tablet ( both formats ) is second to none.

As stated, they look expensive at first glance, but you won't be listing it in the classifieds because of dissatisfaction, anytime before you are a very old man.

My 02.

You've sussed me out Lindz, exactly right, I want it to be a permanent fixture for a long time (yes I can hear the guffaws, as the young'uns say, what-evahh, haha).

The theory is to pay extra and receive more longevity than maybe the Vault 2 will give me. Thanks for the feedback from someone who has actually experienced one, that all reads well. I will be using my Surface Pro tablet to control, might even continue to use ROON as I also like that interface but hey, if I go that way I can certainly give both interfaces a try-out I guess.

Not saying the Bluesound product is flimsy, they are a robust little unit as seen at Melbourne last year but this 7kg Uniti Core looks very solid.

• Like 1